IGNORED

Transfer Deadline Day Thread

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we're still going into debt even though we don't spend any of the tv money and prize money for finished in decent prem positions and the fact our wage bill isn't that high i would think? not in the know about all the club finances obviously so my knowledge is very basic and generalised i guess but it is worrying if we are spending nothing and still going further into debt

Edited by marcopaulo

True, but at clubs like Sunderland for example, they have a rich owner who is better able to take that debt on. We, on the other hand, have owners that can't shoulder that debt.

Sunderland is sell to buy just like us. They may well have spent £18m this window. But they have sold £18m worth of players. There in the same boat. And their owner has said this is the last time he's willing to take on any more debt levels.

we're still going into debt even though we don't spend any of the tv money and prize money for finished in decent prem positions and the fact our wage bill isn't that high i would think? not in the know about all the club finances obviously so my knowledge is very basic and generalised i guess but it is worrying if we are spending nothing and still going further into debt

Our wage bill has increased drastically over the last few years. This is where the money has been going.

Well you just have to deal with it. We can all long for money to come in but in my eyes about 75% of the new owners coming in at the moment are more trouble than they're worth. People say alot of Lerner, for example, being a good example of how a new owner can work out. In the past four years he's put £80m debt onto the club and takes £5m management fee's from the club. United's and Liverpool's problems with the owners putting crippiling debts onto their clubs is well documented. Pompey have screwed up, Leeds screwed up, Hull almost screwed up. The guy mooted to buy Blackburn has just been announced as actually bankrupt. Sunderland and Brum both have new owners but who knows what lies around the corner for them?

The "vast majority" as you say, are spending money, which I don't think is entirely true, the spending in the Prem is down £200m over the last few season and if it wasn't for City it would be drastically less. Alot of people are saying about how Sunderland have spent highly this summer, and it's true that they have invested £18m on new players, but they have also sold £18m worth of players. Arsenal's net spend is only £4m but they have taken 20 players off their pay bill this summer. Brum have invested but have also had to shift 14 players off their books. Fulham was sell to buy. Liverpool was sell to buy. Spurs have been very thrifty considering the revenue boost they will recieve this year.

I'll accept what is going on with the club as we are ensuring that we are living within our means. More clubs will start hitting much harder times soon and people shouldn't think that the world is full of generous arabs willing to plow untold fortunes into a club. City are the exception. Not the rule.

By the way, this is not an apology for BK. I'm not an aplogist before I get labelled it by some. I'm just trying to look at the bigger picture here and take in the facts and figures with other clubs.

It is very true!

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/premier-league/transferuebersicht/wettbewerb_GB1.html

The Shite, Villa and Fulham have actually made a profit Blackburn have broken even and EVERY OTHER CLUB in the Prem has spent considerably more than us. I would say that qualifies as the vast majority

There is a world of difference between dreaming of a billionaire arab to come riding over the horizon and wanting the club to add a player or 2 to the squad every now and again.

I accepted that we cant do a City ( Stoke City that is!) and I was happy when Moyse was saying we have to make small steps each year. I would be happy with one decent signing per year but to just tread water and not build on the squad at all is hard to take

You are right I will "Just have to deal with it" but it doesnt really fit in with the club motto and it doesnt mean I have to like it either.

It is very true!

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/premier-league/transferuebersicht/wettbewerb_GB1.html

The Shite, Villa and Fulham have actually made a profit Blackburn have broken even and EVERY OTHER CLUB in the Prem has spent considerably more than us. I would say that qualifies as the vast majority

There is a world of difference between dreaming of a billionaire arab to come riding over the horizon and wanting the club to add a player or 2 to the squad every now and again.

I accepted that we cant do a City ( Stoke City that is!) and I was happy when Moyse was saying we have to make small steps each year. I would be happy with one decent signing per year but to just tread water and not build on the squad at all is hard to take

You are right I will "Just have to deal with it" but it doesnt really fit in with the club motto and it doesnt mean I have to like it either.

Everyone has missed the point of investing heavily in the restructuring of the wage system though. We have struggled in the past to be able to offer the higer end wages to attract the better players. We have slowly restructed this system and now are in a situation where we can do this. Would you prefer to spend over-inflated fee's on half decent players or be able to pay the wages of an improving squad?

Who cares what the motto is really? It doesn't make any difference. Just because our motto says one thing doesn't mean that we should just start plumming money into transfers when it will seriously damage the long term security of the club.

We're not going to be able to compete financially until we have a better stadium. What do we have...13 boxes?! Other teams in modern stadiums have 50 odd (guess!) this is where the money is - the more boxes etc. you have, the more you take in on match days and more importantly the more you take in on non-match days e.g. corporate events. We just don't have the facilities at GP!

We're not going to be able to compete financially until we have a better stadium. What do we have...13 boxes?! Other teams in modern stadiums have 50 odd (guess!) this is where the money is - the more boxes etc. you have, the more you take in on match days and more importantly the more you take in on non-match days e.g. corporate events. We just don't have the facilities at GP!

We've just started work on new facilities at Goodison which will increase the corporate options available. Which is good.

You mean this Jamie or is something else happening?

Don't suppose there's any news on the planning permission yet?

That's the one. I spoke with someone who works in Goodison and they where saying that the devlopment would include an expansion of the corporate facilities and would increase the possibility of a higher revenue from corporate boxes and events. I havn't however seen any written proof of this.

That's the one. I spoke with someone who works in Goodison and they where saying that the devlopment would include an expansion of the corporate facilities and would increase the possibility of a higher revenue from corporate boxes and events. I havn't however seen any written proof of this.

Yeah I think I read that moving a lot of office space away from the ground would free up space for boxes etc.

Has anyone done one of these "hospitalty" packages? I fancy giving one a go sometime....sure someone said on here once that they'd done it.

Maybe we could have a TT box :P ? Although that wouldn't be much good for the season ticket holders.

• 4 months later...

I thought I'd re-open this thread in prep for tomorrow!

I think I'm in the minority but I actually think a Pienaar/ Arteta type 'loan to buy' who will actually improve us could be on it's way and it'll be a name none of us have mentioned!!! :unsure:

I wouldve thought Moyes categorically stating no when asked the question "do you expect to see someone coming in before the deadline?" would rule out the optimism. I hope he was lying and that youre right though!

Thought I'd start the silliness!!!

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=nl&tl=en&u=http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/voetbal/Jupiler_Pro_League/110130_vanholsbeeck_over_transfer

"Tomorrow a big name will leave Anderlecht for a better competition".

We've been linked with both Boussoufa and Legear.

And the article says the "big news" wont be that Legear leaves for Moscow.

Maybe...