IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

6 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Can't find the page.

England cricketer Ben Stokes says the Sun newspaper's front-page story about his family is "utterly disgusting" and the "lowest form of journalism".

Stokes said the newspaper article deals with "deeply personal and traumatic events" that affected his New Zealand-based family more than 30 years ago.

Stokes, 28, who starred as England won the World Cup this summer, called the article "immoral and heartless".

The Sun told the BBC it had received the co-operation of a family member.

It added that the events described were "a matter of public record" and "the subject of extensive front-page publicity in New Zealand at the time".

In a statement, Stokes said the story concerned "events in the private lives of my family, going back more than 31 years" and had "serious inaccuracies which has compounded the damage caused".

"The decision to publish these details has grave and lifelong consequences for my mum in particular," he said.

The Durham and England all-rounder added: "To use my name as an excuse to shatter the privacy and private lives of - in particular - my parents is utterly disgusting.

"It is hard to find words that adequately describe such low and despicable behaviour, disguised as journalism.

"I cannot conceive of anything more immoral, heartless or contemptuous to the feelings and circumstances of my family."

Stokes produced the match-winning innings as England's men won their first Cricket World Cup at Lord's in July before an incredible 135 not out in the third Ashes Test against Australia at Headingley last month saw England stay in contention in a series they eventually drew 2-2.

He added: "I am aware that my public profile brings with it consequences for me that I accept entirely.

"But I will not allow my public profile to be used as an excuse to invade the rights of my parents, my wife, my children or other family members. They are entitled to a private life of their own.

"For more than three decades, my family has worked hard to deal with the private trauma inevitably associated with these events and has taken great care to keep private what were deeply personal and traumatic events.

"On Saturday the Sun sent a 'reporter' to my parents' home in New Zealand to question them, out of the blue, on this incredibly upsetting topic. If that wasn't bad enough, the Sun think it is acceptable to sensationalise our personal tragedy for their front page.

"This is the lowest form of journalism, focused only on chasing sales with absolutely no regard for the devastation caused to lives as a consequence. It is totally out of order."

A spokesperson for the Sun said: "The Sun has the utmost sympathy for Ben Stokes and his mother but it is only right to point out the story was told with the co-operation of a family member who supplied details, provided photographs and posed for pictures.

"The tragedy is also a matter of public record and was the subject of extensive front page publicity in New Zealand at the time.

"The Sun has huge admiration for Ben Stokes and we were delighted to celebrate his sporting heroics this summer. He was contacted prior to publication and at no stage did he or his representatives ask us not to publish the story."

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

No idea what the story was but it doesn't surprise me in the slightest coming from them.

I got the story from an alternative source and it's truly horrific and tragic but happened before Ben was born; why even an organisation as reprehensible as the s*n felt the need to publish it at all let alone splash it on their front page is beneath contempt, it's certainly in no possible warped imagination "in the public interest". Sickening.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone else see the World Champs marathon last night? Wasn't planning to myself but couldn't go to bed because of the incredible performance of Callum Hawkins, a Scotsman who trained in his garden shed taking it to the African powerhouses; great shame he couldn't quite get a medal. Kudos big time.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Did anyone else see the World Champs marathon last night? Wasn't planning to myself but couldn't go to bed because of the incredible performance of Callum Hawkins, a Scotsman who trained in his garden shed taking it to the African powerhouses; great shame he couldn't quite get a medal. Kudos big time.

I didn’t see it Mike, but trying envisage how big his garden shed is that he can train for a marathon in it, the mind boggles 😜

5 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I didn’t see it Mike, but trying envisage how big his garden shed is that he can train for a marathon in it, the mind boggles 😜

OK so he had a treadmill in there but heaters that brought the temp up to 39C; fooking glad I don't have to pay his 'leccy bill!

This is just wrong...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/50041037

If you got a 4% increase in performance by doping you'd be banned; these shoes should be binned and the times deleted just like what happened when the sportswear companies came up with radically different swimsuits a few years ago and records were broken by miles all over the place. "Running on trampolines" isn't running.

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

First four games of the World Series all won by the away team, seems a bit odd or is there little or no home field advantage in baseball?

In most American sports home field advantage isn’t really a thing.  That’s why I fail to grasp why EPL teams can’t win away.  In America it just isn’t much of a factor for some reason.  Maybe because the sports are more individual based?  It has vexed me for a while now.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

In most American sports home field advantage isn’t really a thing.  That’s why I fail to grasp why EPL teams can’t win away.  In America it just isn’t much of a factor for some reason.  Maybe because the sports are more individual based?  It has vexed me for a while now.

Or maybe the away teams don’t have to run the gauntlet of hatred like they do here, fans here create an atmosphere that is fantastic for the home team, and toxic for the away team.

You need to get over here and experience it you won’t regret it. 
I remember going to a play off final with another two families from my close against Leicester one was an ardent Swindon supporter, the other was an American who at the time was over here working for Motorola, his wife and kids were slightly scared by the voracity passion and noise, but he loved it he said he had never experienced anything like it. 

We are very tribal over here maybe that’s the difference. 

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

Or maybe the away teams don’t have to run the gauntlet of hatred like they do here, fans here create an atmosphere that is fantastic for the home team, and toxic for the away team.

You need to get over here and experience it you won’t regret it. 
I remember going to a play off final with another two families from my close against Leicester one was an ardent Swindon supporter, the other was an American who at the time was over here working for Motorola, his wife and kids were slightly scared by the voracity passion and noise, but he loved it he said he had never experienced anything like it. 

We are very tribal over here maybe that’s the difference. 

Yeah the violence against the team coaches and flares and stuff would never fly over here. They pride sports here being a family atmosphere and safe, You’re right that is probably it.   The culture of hooliganism in England is not something we’ve ever had here.

7 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Except when your fans travel through Europe the fights in France, the town squares littered and trashed.  It might not be brawls but they are not civilized either.

To be honest there’s very little fighting in this country and what there is magnified by the press, there’s more let’s call it hostile chanting swearing and jeering, and that is what teams call the home advantage or the twelfth man if you like, because at some grounds it’s definitely unnerving for the players and their supporters. 
European football is a different kettle of fish all together, it takes on a different meaning and minority of supporters from all countries go there to fight.

South American football is the same if not worse, football is used as a medium for life’s social problems by certain individuals, unfortunately that’s the way it is and to stop it is near on impossible when so many countries have fans who subscribe to it. 
Luckily you don’t find that in your country, and when your supporters travel the world supporting their national team they don’t get involved in that side of the game, and will not be attacked by other countries supporters because it is a two way thing, and slightly organised. 
So you can go to football in this country in the knowledge that you will be physically safe, but you may here stuff the you don’t here in everyday life. 

On 27/10/2019 at 12:45, MikeO said:

First four games of the World Series all won by the away team, seems a bit odd or is there little or no home field advantage in baseball?

On 27/10/2019 at 15:39, markjazzbassist said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/baseball/50231661

"It is the first time in World Series history that the visiting team has won each of the first six games."

"North American sport has never seen a seven game series where the first six were all won by the away team. It defies all explanation and logic."

Looks like away field advantage is a thing this year!

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/baseball/50231661

"It is the first time in World Series history that the visiting team has won each of the first six games."

"North American sport has never seen a seven game series where the first six were all won by the away team. It defies all explanation and logic."

Looks like away field advantage is a thing this year!

that is the championship matches.  let me amend my statement, those matches the home side fans do help.  i'm talking normal league games it doesn't.  when i lived in LA the Kings (hockey) were atrocious at home and prolific Away.  It became such a thing that during the playoffs and then Stanley cup the coach had the team staying in a hotel across the street even when they were home so it seemed like they were away to give them that away boost.  they won the stanley cup, guess what?  they were away.

Piss poor this from Derby. Fair enough sack a player for drink driving but not only because they won't take a lower contract. 

He's a silly cunt for drink driving but he's done nothing worse than the other two, other than he's older. Just an excuse to get rid rather than moral grounds.