IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

30 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Piss poor this from Derby. Fair enough sack a player for drink driving but not only because they won't take a lower contract. 

He's a silly cunt for drink driving but he's done nothing worse than the other two, other than he's older. Just an excuse to get rid rather than moral grounds. 

Wasn’t Keogh just a passenger anyway?

12 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Wasn’t Keogh just a passenger anyway?

Just read that he doesn’t even have a driving license anyway.

On him getting sacked... maybe they’re coming down harder on the fact that he’s the club captain. Maybe the whole story hasn’t been reported to the public. Regardless, his Derby career was over, doesn’t make it okay, but with 18 months on his contract and likely 14 months out, plus his age - it’d be highly unlikely that he’d ever play for Derby (or possibly anyone else) again.

1 hour ago, c1982 said:

Just read that he doesn’t even have a driving license anyway.

On him getting sacked... maybe they’re coming down harder on the fact that he’s the club captain. Maybe the whole story hasn’t been reported to the public. Regardless, his Derby career was over, doesn’t make it okay, but with 18 months on his contract and likely 14 months out, plus his age - it’d be highly unlikely that he’d ever play for Derby (or possibly anyone else) again.

Fair enough if he's injured himself being stupid to get rid not to offer a lower contract and then when he's refused it to sack him on moral grounds is just wrong. 

23 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

"It is the first time in World Series history that the visiting team has won each of the first six games."

7/7

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/baseball/50246029

Incidentally, why do teams constantly change their "starting pitcher"? Stephen Strasburg was the MVP but only started in two games. Is it just to give your best option the chance to rest his arm or does he come into the game later despite not being starter? I don't understand.

13 hours ago, pete0 said:

Fair enough if he's injured himself being stupid to get rid not to offer a lower contract and then when he's refused it to sack him on moral grounds is just wrong. 

Well if it is wrong, he can seek legal advice and will win the appeal. 

You don't know the ins and outs of it, you are just using the little snippets from the headlines and rushing to a Judgment. You might be right but I imagine there are lots of other issues that will have been taken into account as it will cost Derby a lot of money and a lot of negative media attention in order to try and terminate the contract of a footballer unlawfully.

46 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Well if it is wrong, he can seek legal advice and will win the appeal. 

You don't know the ins and outs of it, you are just using the little snippets from the headlines and rushing to a Judgment. You might be right but I imagine there are lots of other issues that will have been taken into account as it will cost Derby a lot of money and a lot of negative media attention in order to try and terminate the contract of a footballer unlawfully.

I'd imagine that's why he's refused the offer. Easy win for age discrimination with the two younger players not being dismissed for the same incident. 

You don't need the ins and outs when they've offered him the choice of a lower contract or go for gross misconduct. To then release a statement claiming the moral high ground is terrible as well. They deserve all the bad publicity. 

If they hadn't offered a contract and got rid of the other two there'd be no issue. But they've picked and chosed and even tried to leverage it. 

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

7/7

Incidentally, why do teams constantly change their "starting pitcher"? Stephen Strasburg was the MVP but only started in two games. Is it just to give your best option the chance to rest his arm or does he come into the game later despite not being starter? I don't understand.

Bingo. Pitching is very hard on the arm/shoulder. 

1 minute ago, MikeO said:

Ta for that, thought it was likely. So if someone starts a game is he then likely to play the whole game or come off after a while?

They can play the whole game, but it's not uncommon to see 2-3 pitchers/game. Usually there is a type of pitcher that is called a "closer" and they'll usually play the last 1-3 innings. Usually they are pitchers that can throw extremely fast and they focus on getting the final outs in a game. 

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

7/7

they pitch on 5 days rest.  they throw 100-120+ pitches which destroys your arm.  but if you are lights out you can single handedly take the other team out of the game, give up 0 runs and your team just needs 1 score to win.  quality starting pitching is always coveted.

8 hours ago, pete0 said:

I'd imagine that's why he's refused the offer. Easy win for age discrimination with the two younger players not being dismissed for the same incident. 

You don't need the ins and outs when they've offered him the choice of a lower contract or go for gross misconduct. To then release a statement claiming the moral high ground is terrible as well. They deserve all the bad publicity. 

If they hadn't offered a contract and got rid of the other two there'd be no issue. But they've picked and chosed and even tried to leverage it. 

Of course you don't need the details, much easier to make broad assumptions from the headlines. 

15 hours ago, pete0 said:

Not just the headline. So you think it's perfectly fine what Derby have done? 

I don't know enough about the details to say whether it is fair or not.

I will say though that the club captain and senior player who injured himself through his own stupidity, when I expect he has a clause in his contract regarding such circumstances, is probably quite lucky to have been offered reduced terms. 

I would say they should all be sacked but ultimately from the clubs point of view Keogh has a greater degree of responsibility given his standing at the club. 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I don't know enough about the details to say whether it is fair or not.

I will say though that the club captain and senior player who injured himself through his own stupidity, when I expect he has a clause in his contract regarding such circumstances, is probably quite lucky to have been offered reduced terms. 

I would say they should all be sacked but ultimately from the clubs point of view Keogh has a greater degree of responsibility given his standing at the club. 

I'm their statement they said they've sacked him for bringing the club into disrepute. 

A statement from the club read: "Derby County Football Club has completed the disciplinary hearing regarding Richard Keogh in respect of his involvement in the events of Tuesday, September 24.

"As a result of that process, Mr Keogh has had his contract terminated with immediate effect for gross misconduct. He has the right of appeal within 14 days.

"As we have said from the outset, the club will not tolerate any of its players or staff behaving in a manner which puts themselves, their colleagues, and members of the general public at risk of injury or worse, or which brings the club into disrepute.

"The club will be making no further comment at this time regards this matter, until the conclusion of any potential appeal."

The statement says any player (which makes it a joke that the other two never hit sacked) and doesn't mention his captaincy being an influence, also personally I'd find it hard to argue wearing an armband would make you more responsible than the actual driver of the vehicle. 

On 01/11/2019 at 16:08, pete0 said:

I'm their statement they said they've sacked him for bringing the club into disrepute. 

A statement from the club read: "Derby County Football Club has completed the disciplinary hearing regarding Richard Keogh in respect of his involvement in the events of Tuesday, September 24.

"As a result of that process, Mr Keogh has had his contract terminated with immediate effect for gross misconduct. He has the right of appeal within 14 days.

"As we have said from the outset, the club will not tolerate any of its players or staff behaving in a manner which puts themselves, their colleagues, and members of the general public at risk of injury or worse, or which brings the club into disrepute.

"The club will be making no further comment at this time regards this matter, until the conclusion of any potential appeal."

The statement says any player (which makes it a joke that the other two never hit sacked) and doesn't mention his captaincy being an influence, also personally I'd find it hard to argue wearing an armband would make you more responsible than the actual driver of the vehicle. 

Pete, that is a press statement. Are you expecting them to release all of the details to the press?

19 hours ago, c1982 said:

Would Keogh have been sacked if he wasn’t injured? I guess only those involved will ever know but for me that’s the major difference between him and the other two.

Probably not.

On 01/11/2019 at 16:08, pete0 said:

He’s 34 and on 20k a week. His career is over at that level. He was a passenger at the end of the day. There is no way derby are going to win this case. I’ve had all the pics of the crash and injuries. Lawrence and the other knob should be sacked but they are assets because they are young. They were racing home from a pub two miles from where they lived. They went over a mini bridge and one of them stopped to wait for the other to see where he was. He ended up going right in the back of the other. They then fucked off in one car and realised they left keogh in the back of the other! They drive back once they realised and then got arrested 

1 hour ago, Finn balor said:

He’s 34 and on 20k a week. His career is over at that level. He was a passenger at the end of the day. There is no way derby are going to win this case. I’ve had all the pics of the crash and injuries. Lawrence and the other knob should be sacked but they are assets because they are young. They were racing home from a pub two miles from where they lived. They went over a mini bridge and one of them stopped to wait for the other to see where he was. He ended up going right in the back of the other. They then fucked off in one car and realised they left keogh in the back of the other! They drive back once they realised and then got arrested 

Fuckin'ell, hadn't read the full story. Idiots, they could have jogged home in half an hour. 

How the fuck has Duckenfield been found not guilty? I’m fuming here. I suppose those fans all just committed mass suicide seeing as they don’t think anyone was responsible. 

I hope this decision haunts the members of that jury for the rest of their lives. They have caused the suffering of the families of the dead to go on forever now because they haven’t been allowed closure. 

8 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

How the fuck has Duckenfield been found not guilty? I’m fuming here. I suppose those fans all just committed mass suicide seeing as they don’t think anyone was responsible. 

I hope this decision haunts the members of that jury for the rest of their lives. They have caused the suffering of the families of the dead to go on forever now because they haven’t been allowed closure. 

Shameful.