IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

John Terry has retired from international football.

Just saw that...

"I feel the FA, in pursuing charges against me where I have already been cleared in a court of law, have made my position with the national team untenable..."

Tit.....court of law = beyond reasonable doubt. You've been found not guilty, which isn't the same as innocent.

Just saw that...

"I feel the FA, in pursuing charges against me where I have already been cleared in a court of law, have made my position with the national team untenable..."

Tit.....court of law = beyond reasonable doubt. You've been found not guilty, which isn't the same as innocent.

What about 'Innocent until proven guilty' ? doh.gif

What about 'Innocent until proven guilty' ? doh.gif

In a court of law absolutely....the presumption is of innocence unless guilt is proved "beyond reasonable doubt".

The measure is different for an FA tribunal....balance of probability I think....so just because a court can't be certain (due to high priced barristers when the world and his wife knows full well he's guilty) an FA committee can come to the conclusion that they think he's guilty and it'll stand.

Just saw that...

his position becoming untenable had nothing to do with him being an absolute twat?

Players should be willing to play anywhere, but if he's not enjoyed it and he's filled in there 5 years I don't begrudge him wanting some security. I'd be more impressed if he switches clubs and accepts less money to play upfront. Johnny did the same when he signed with us. Man United played Bartez upfront once to make him happy.

I heard about the Terry news out on Sunday night and first off, felt all a bit indifferent to it. I don't care what the national team does, and if Terry wants to quit or step down it's his business. All I know is, the kid is a bit of a snide individual, unliked to many, OK, a decent defensive unit but does himself no favors sometimes. Gets more coverage on news items about his fucking social indiscretions and behavior & attitude to other professional players than his endeavors on the field of play. I'm guessing there weren't many tears shed at this news or 'shock' revelation.

I don't think Ferdinand should get in the team (I'm surprised he even gets in the United defence these days) but by the looks of things Hodgson would like to have one experienced international CB with one of the lesser experienced CB's (Cahill or Jags).

It should be Cahill and Jags for me, but Hodgson seems to still be putting a bit too much faith in the 'old guard'.

http://sportinglife....game-diving-ban

I would agree with Pulis. It's difficult to define what is a dive and what's going down a little easier than you would normally.

Obvious dive, 1-match suspension. (I think 3 is a little much)

Obvious dive, plus the player moaning to the ref is worth a minimum of a 3 match ban in my eyes. The whole of Ireland missed out on the WC because of cheating, teams have been relegated from it or unjustly won trophies or Euro qualification. Needs a severe punishment as missing a player for 1 is hardly a punishment. Persistent offenders should be docked points, soon cut it out.

EIGHT year contract for Pardew. I can't recall anyone signing such a long-term deal!

http://www1.skysport...t-year-contract

I don't think contracts have too much weight in football management. There will probably be clauses galore in it. Pardew has done well recently, but 8 years is a long time. Still, it would be good to have more long term managers in the game.