IGNORED

Baines

David Moyes is managing Manchester United next season - after a long and faithful stint at Everton. In Manchester it has been rumoured that Moyes wants the English national Leighton Baines, 28.

He can forget it states Everton chairman Bill Kenwright.

- Leigthon is under contract with us and I have told David (Moyes) not to try and sign him. We have not made ​​any discussions on the extension yet but it will start soon, says Kenwright according to the Daily Mirror.

Baines has two years left on the current contract.

I would seriously get annoyed with Moyes if he tries to nab Baines - especially for anything shy of £20m - even then it would be tough to find a replacement.

What I am encouraged by is that Martinez and Kenwright are making the right noises about Baines. It is very clear to me that Martinez has made clear who is in his plans and Baines appears to be a priority - supporting his option to play 3-5-2.

It also seems that the noise regarding Fellaini to Arsenal has come about just after Martinez has joined - I don't see Felli as being a Martinez style player, has he given the green light to encourage interest and bids for felli? I would guess yes. Once he knows his transfer fund he can go about getting his targets. I would guess he has a few scenarios to play out. All very exciting.

What I am encouraged by is that Martinez and Kenwright are making the right noises about Baines. It is very clear to me that Martinez has made clear who is in his plans and Baines appears to be a priority - supporting his option to play 3-5-2.

I dont mean to come across pedantic, but if youre playing wingbacks isnt it 5-3-2?

I dont mean to come across pedantic, but if youre playing wingbacks isnt it 5-3-2?

Yep, but Martinez uses them classed as a 3-5-2 formation (are the wing backs more advanced?) , suppose it's same difference as 4-5-1 to 4-4-1-1

Yep, but Martinez uses them classed as a 3-5-2 formation (are the wing backs more advanced?) , suppose it's same difference as 4-5-1 to 4-4-1-1

fair enough then! I thought 3-5-2 meant the wide men were wingers that dropped back. 4-5-1 is a flat 5 in midfield for me, 4-4-1-1 is a guy ahead of a flat 4 mid and behind a single striker.... Nit-picking bastard arent I? :D

End of the day, dont care so long as the goals go in for us and clean sheets are kept by us :)

fair enough then! I thought 3-5-2 meant the wide men were wingers that dropped back. 4-5-1 is a flat 5 in midfield for me, 4-4-1-1 is a guy ahead of a flat 4 mid and behind a single striker.... Nit-picking bastard arent I? :D

End of the day, dont care so long as the goals go in for us and clean sheets are kept by us :)

Anything bar 4-5-1 will do me!

All a play with numbers, i guess you can say that 4-5-1 is the same as 4-4-2 with one of the strikers dropping down a little. I dont care how Everton play as long as they win. Couldnt care less if we let 3 goals past us every game as long as we score at least 4.

I highly doubt we will play 3-5-2, in fact I'd love to see us play 3-4-3:

Howard

Jagielka Heitinga Distin

Coleman Gibson Fellaini Baines

Mirallas Jelavic Pienaar

Bench: (Keeper????), Duffy, Stones, Oviedo, Anichebe, Barkley, Osman

The reason I doubt 3-5-2 is unless we sign 2 strikers we don't have any cover if both Anichebe and Jelavic play, and no one to change the game off the bench. At least with eitther of them in wait we can have an impact sub (as Vic proved he is best at).

• 3 weeks later...

Manchester United have made a bid for Leighton Baines as David Moyes looks to reunite with the Everton and England left back at Old Trafford.

Baines said this week that he was looking forward to working under Roberto Martinez, Moyes’s successor as Everton manager, but United’s approach is certain to turn his head.

It was unclear this afternoon exactly how much United have offered but the bid is thought to be in the region of £10 million to £12 million, with Baines about to enter the final two years of his contract at Goodison Park.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/clubs/manchesterunited/article3802036.ece

On what planet is Baines worth only £10/12m?

If that's accurate I'd be insulted if I were him.

Glen Johnson went for £17m three or four years ago and Leighton's twice the player he is!

and then some - most creative player in Europes top 5 leagues....

Cheeky bid isn't it? fuck me the lad is in his absolute PRIME. Granted he is 28 but this is Utd they buy off the peg and want ready made stars. £30 mil for Berbatov who they wrote off for next to nothing? Moyes needs to get his head around the fact that Utd have the dough to buy and don't have to worry about selling on. Who really leaves United for a bigger transfer? Ronaldo that's it. £18 - £20 is the price we should be looking at if he is to go as he has four years at the top of his game. If Robbie is cheeky he should ask for Hernandez in part ex.

As I have said, having argubley the best left back in the world at the club, I don't think any fan would like to see Baines go. However every player does have a price, as this means for the quality you may lose in one position you could improve in other positions.

Baines will be 29 this December, so this would be the only real chance we have to cash in on him. We have had three or four very good pretty much injury free seasons out of him.

I think the club would have to really consider any bids between £15M & £20M for a 28 year old left back. That is a massive cash boost for a club like us.

Head over heart, I would say any bids of £18M or more have to be thought off. The recent Baines interview must have added a couple of million to his price as he is in no way pushing for a move away. So any bid has to be enough to convince Martinez to cash in.

Baines, Fellini and Hetinga sale, along with the transfer kitty, could equate to around a £50M transfer kitty for the new manager. That could lead to quite a squad overhaul.

Anyway, what I am saying is the sale of Baines and /or Fellini this summer would not be the end of the world as a £40-50M transfer fund isn't a half bad sweetner.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/8795668/Sky-Sources-Everton-reject-Manchester-United-bid-for-Leighton-Baines

10-12m is laughable if thats true. treble it and you get closer. 30m for a 3-4 years of his quality supplying the likes of RVP and Rooney. Hes a better player than Cole was in his prime and as previously mentioned, the most creative player in Europe. Created more goal scoring opportunities than the like s of the best players in the world. 10m.... Pfff....

Then the same could be said about Martinez 'scouting' for Everton.

As far as Moyes is concerned, he's Uniteds manager. Just as Martinez is ours.

Officially, obviously not.

I expect this why no actual moves have been made as yet and as I said in another thread people moaning about villa signing 5 and Liverpoo, Saints, etc. making early moves need to chill out. Neither has begun their new roles officially - July 1st will signal that.

I expect this why no actual moves have been made as yet and as I said in another thread people moaning about villa signing 5 and Liverpoo, Saints, etc. making early moves need to chill out. Neither has begun their new roles officially - July 1st will signal that.

United have already signed a player though.