IGNORED

Baines

If the above is true, I think this is the right way to proceed. Either move him on in this window while his value is at its peak, or sign him up for the rest of his career and stop the six-monthly speculation.

Although I suppose if he has a storming World Cup next year then there's every chance there might be one more flurry of interest this time next year... :shaking fist:

Anything less than £18m for Baines means that I would sooner keep him for another 3 years and maybe get £7-8m for him if and when we have someone near his quality (Garbutt/Ovideo).

Left back is a niche position, you can look at far more ways of replacing fellaini than you can baines. Apart from that, Baines for me gives us an identity - a local lad who is an icon. Fellaini isn't the loyal consistent sort that a player of his transfer value would warrant fighting to keep. On the contrary - Fellaini is possibly one of the most frustrating players we have, he has ability but lacks the desire to make the most of that ability.

My thoughts exactly!

I hope you're right that he's right. I like Martinez but when I hear him say things like this I can't help thinking it's a Wigan phrase and actually hear the words come out of Martinez's mouth but in Whelan's accent with 3 words missing; "I believe Utd's pursuit of Baines at that price is over" - just smells of "up the offer and we'll have another look". Don't know why and don't want it to be true but can't help it. Everyone has their price and that initial comment is Wigan/Whelan speak for "you'll have to do better than that..."

That comment is not just Wigan/Whelan speak, but 99.5% of world football speak.

Baines is not for sale should not be taken as a blank statement but for what it is. Baines is not for sale unless you pay over our valuation for him. The same for every single player in the universe.

If some Shiek team offered Barcelona 500m for Messi i am sure that even they would look at it differently.

If we dont sell Baines or Felly this summer then i think a few people will be dissapointed inside. Half this site believe BK to be talking shit and are sure that he is trying to pull the wool over our eyes. If we do sell any of them at the last minute for less than, 25+ Felly and 16+ Baines then i think even i will be on BK's back, especially if it is with no time left to re-invest!

I think he is a rare breed of footballer, in that he is grateful for what he's got and he actually realises what he has! Does anybody really need to be on70k plus a week, Christ 30-35k a week is way to much, it'll buy you pretty much anything you want, and like I said I think he is one of the few who understands this. Top fella!