IGNORED

What Grinds Your Gears...

Matt

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just driving home from Woodley to Maidenhead (9 miles). Half-way - A4 closed.  Diversion takes us down narrow country lanes. After about a mile traffic stops and doesn't move for 15 minutes, then an ambulance passes with blue flashing lights. Obviously an accident on the diversion.  Do a quick about turn and take an even narrower side road (with passing points). Eventually get home an hour and ten minutes later.  Traffic manic everywhere and its only Tuesday!

41 minutes ago, johnh said:

Just driving home from Woodley to Maidenhead (9 miles). Half-way - A4 closed.  Diversion takes us down narrow country lanes. After about a mile traffic stops and doesn't move for 15 minutes, then an ambulance passes with blue flashing lights. Obviously an accident on the diversion.  Do a quick about turn and take an even narrower side road (with passing points). Eventually get home an hour and ten minutes later.  Traffic manic everywhere and its only Tuesday!

Sequel:  Just phoned the guy I play snooker with to arrange a game and started to tell him about the above,  when he cut me  short and told me that he was driving behind the car involved in the accident.  He said that the car indicated to turn right and turned only to be hit by a motorbike.  He said the force was so great that the car was thrown into the air and landed on its roof. He said that the motorbike must have been going so fast that the car driver didn't see it and he said that he didn't see it.  He also said that within a couple of minutes there were four police cars on the scene.  Two marked and two unmarked with both uniformed and plain clothes policemen.  He thinks that they may have been chasing the biker.  Will be interested to find out what its all about.

1 hour ago, rubecula said:

bloody hell  any news on the injured?

Just found out.  The motorcyclist was a policeman, unfortunately he was killed, as was a passenger in the car.  It does appear that the police motorcyclist and the police cars were involved in the same incident.  Don't know what that was.

18 hours ago, johnh said:

Just found out.  The motorcyclist was a policeman, unfortunately he was killed, as was a passenger in the car.  It does appear that the police motorcyclist and the police cars were involved in the same incident.  Don't know what that was.

Training exercise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-42249569

Bit much that there's an outpouring of sympathy for the PC and he get's mentioned in parliament and his tribute on the BBC but no mention of the woman he killed (if John's mate is correct in his assessment of what happened). 

56 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Training exercise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-42249569

Bit much that there's an outpouring of sympathy for the PC and he get's mentioned in parliament and his tribute on the BBC but no mention of the woman he killed (if John's mate is correct in his assessment of what happened). 

In Prime Ministers questions,  Theresa May paid tribute to the officer and also the passenger in the car. See above report.  It happened in her constituency.

11 minutes ago, johnh said:

In Prime Ministers questions,  Theresa May paid tribute to the officer and also the passenger in the car. See above report.  It happened in her constituency.

I stand corrected, must've misread. I still think the piece is far too heavily weighted in its sympathy for the PC though, particularly if it was "possibly" his fault.

I was driving on a busy A road locally a few years back (with kids) and I could see in my mirrors a powerful car driving like a complete nutter, seriously dangerous overtakes. It went past me eventually and then we came into a town and he was forced to stop at lights. There were four young blokes in it and I did something (can't remember exactly what, gesture or flash of lights probably) to convey my anger because they really could have killed someone. For a brief second they flashed blue lights inside the back window, so obviously it was police on a "training exercise". Didn't make it any less stupid in my view, certainly didn't make it any less dangerous. I know they need to learn high speed driving techniques but why do they need to learn them in unmarked cars?

33 minutes ago, Matt said:

I assume there’s different strategies for unmarked driving? 

I just can't imagine a situation when you need to drive fast and put innocent lives at risk where it wouldn't be simpler just to turn on your lights and siren. Could be reasons I suppose but I can think of none, perhaps @London Blue could shed some light.

My mate said the four police cars turned up within a couple of minutes of the accident. Maybe the motorcyclist was acting as the 'baddie' in an exercise?  The Maidenhead Advertiser on-line states that he had experience in 'special operations'.  Doubt the truth will ever come out.

First thing to say its a tragedy and my heart goes out to the families of all those involved.

Without knowing all the facts its difficult to say what happened and why. What I know is there will be a full investigation by the IPCC as this will have a massive bearing on how training exercises are carried out in the future. As it was a pre-planned exercise there will of been detailed plans and risk assessments, and the Police cars will of had cameras on them and  data on the vehicles speed etc.

There has been a massive increase in bike / moped enabled crime, and this could have been training for officers in how to deal with it, or just training on how to deal with speeding motorcycles on A roads and motorways which is pretty common. 

I can think of a few times sirens have not been used, for example if you don't want to let the suspects know you are there, going to a burglary for example, or if it would make a situation worse, someone with mental health issues and you don't want to upset them. But you should have your lights on. Of paramount importance is to protect people so you have to justify how you drive.

Speeding knobheads 

Lost our cat today no more than thirty feet from our house, new build area with a stretch of Rd many think is Santa Pod sadly one of these tits clipped our boy who wasn't even two years old bless him 

Awful having to scoop him up and hide him as the kids came out to see what I was up to 😩

34 minutes ago, EFC-Paul said:

Speeding knobheads 

Lost our cat today no more than thirty feet from our house, new build area with a stretch of Rd many think is Santa Pod sadly one of these tits clipped our boy who wasn't even two years old bless him 

Awful having to scoop him up and hide him as the kids came out to see what I was up to 😩

:(

4 hours ago, EFC-Paul said:

Speeding knobheads 

That sucks man :(

9 hours ago, EFC-Paul said:

Speeding knobheads 

I'd have jumping in my car to go and follow the cunt.

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I'd have jumping in my car to go and follow the cunt.

Didn't see it mate we've a Facebook group for the area and a girl put a msg on about a black cat being in the Rd knew instantly it was him and it must have only just happened 

If I knew who it was our saw believe me they'd be getting a pasting just leaving him there 

Tell you what though it knocked me sideways a bit which I never thought it would 

1 minute ago, rubecula said:

my fucking dentist.  Just cancelled again  7 months for a set of dentures and now no chance until feb next year

Mine cancelled on me as well, was due to go for some treatment tomorrow but it's now Jan 9th; check-up was October:rolleyes:. I'm supposed to go every four months but that would mean booking the next check-up a month after treatment which is daft. She has to do the same thing every four months anyway so checks are pretty pointless, might suggest that to her thinking about it.