IGNORED

What Grinds Your Gears...

Matt

sho[[img trolleys  not the ones at the super market,  the ones to take home.  .................................i went and bought a nice 4 wheel one and the day I bought it the wheels went to three as one fell off.   so bought a smaller two wheeled type  as I can not   use the car at the moment.  went to town on the bus this morning  loaded the trolley with essentials and had the fortune to time it perfectly to get the bus.  got off the bus near my house and .... the trolley lost a wheel..... ffs  I had to drag the trolley down the road with one hand and in the other hand I had a stick and a plastic bag of bits.

I need a trolley that works

Spent ages last night making a chorizo, red wine and tomato risotto which my son said was the best one he's ever tasted (Jamie Oliver recipe) and since I got up this morning been throwing up and feeling generally shite. Wasn't the food because wife & Josh are fine, unless maybe I just ate too much; I'm normally on kiddie size portions so possibly that was it:(.

I've put myself back to bed.

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

Spent ages last night making a chorizo, red wine and tomato risotto which my son said was the best one he's ever tasted (Jamie Oliver recipe) and since I got up this morning been throwing up and feeling generally shite. Wasn't the food because wife & Josh are fine, unless maybe I just ate too much; I'm normally on kiddie size portions so possibly that was it:(.

I have no sympathy for people who eat foreign food.  I had no trouble at all with my fried bread.:D

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

That sounds awesome!

The recipe I mean :P Can you share it?

8 hours ago, MikeO said:

"Awful news to hear about the passing of (insert name here). My deepest condolences and thoughts are with his family and friends at this terrible time."

Meaningless platitude trotted out by people who have no idea how to respond to bereavement. It's a copy/paste job and annoys the shit out of me.

I've always felt the same about "I'm sorry to hear that", because what've they got to be sorry for if it wasn't their fault? But I've given up getting annoyed by it simply because most of the time responding to bad news is impossible to put into words.

"Thoughts and prayers" is the one that really fucking annoys me, because it's usually referring to some disaster that could've been avoided in the first place. 

10 hours ago, MikeO said:

"Awful news to hear about the passing of (insert name here). My deepest condolences and thoughts are with his family and friends at this terrible time."

Meaningless platitude trotted out by people who have no idea how to respond to bereavement. It's a copy/paste job and annoys the shit out of me.

I am terrible at responding to things like that so I usually stay quiet use the line Matt hates and move on! If I don't I will end up saying something completely insensitive! 

On a similar note, I hate it when everyone feels the need to go onto social media and post these things.  Why do they have to be said in public? If you care that much, speak to the families/friends involved and stop trying to portray a certain side of yourself on Twitter/Facebook etc. 

13 minutes ago, holystove said:

Tired of being stuck in traffic, I bought myself a high speed e-bike to travel the 15 miles to work. 6th day using it, got hit by a car while I was going 30 mph and broke my collarbone.

Bike totalled and definitely the most painful injury I've ever had.  

glad to hear you are ok.  public transit not available in belgium?  thought europe was covered in trains

27 minutes ago, holystove said:

Tired of being stuck in traffic, I bought myself a high speed e-bike to travel the 15 miles to work. 6th day using it, got hit by a car while I was going 30 mph and broke my collarbone.

That's crap mate, wife was wanting an e-bike recently but got put off by the cost though I investigated a lot; over here power assistance is restricted to 15mph though you can go faster if you pedal hard obviously.

Cycling country you should at least take a collarbone break though surely? It's par for the course. When I fell off my bike (at around ten) I landed on my head and was hospitalised with concussion:unsure:.

55 minutes ago, MikeO said:

That's crap mate, wife was wanting an e-bike recently but got put off by the cost though I investigated a lot; over here power assistance is restricted to 15mph though you can go faster if you pedal hard obviously.

Cycling country you should at least take a collarbone break though surely? It's par for the course. When I fell off my bike (at around ten) I landed on my head and was hospitalised with concussion:unsure:.

That last sentence explains a lot 😂

10 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

glad to hear you are ok.  public transit not available in belgium?  thought europe was covered in trains

there's a train I could take but going by (highspeed) bike is 10 minutes faster and I'm free to leave work when I want instead of being bound by train schedule.  Plus I get 23 cents per kilometre from my employer, which adds up.

9 hours ago, MikeO said:

There's two types of e-bike here. Max 15 mph which is standard and max 30 mph for which you need a drivers licence and a numberplate.  Theres this network of bike highways in Flanders so you can easily go 10 miles without a red light or crossing another road, making highspeed bikes a quick way to travel.

I've broken wrist, foot and leg in the past and got a concussion in a biking accident as a kid.. collarbone is definitely the most painful

11 hours ago, holystove said:

One of the few bones I've not broken thankfully. Hope you recover quickly :)

1 hour ago, holystove said:

There's two types of e-bike here. Max 15 mph which is standard and max 30 mph for which you need a drivers licence and a numberplate.

Same as here actually, but I'm pretty certain the faster ones aren't allowed on cycle tracks, road going only.

4 hours ago, holystove said:

there's a train I could take but going by (highspeed) bike is 10 minutes faster and I'm free to leave work when I want instead of being bound by train schedule.  Plus I get 23 cents per kilometre from my employer, which adds up.

There's two types of e-bike here. Max 15 mph which is standard and max 30 mph for which you need a drivers licence and a numberplate.  Theres this network of bike highways in Flanders so you can easily go 10 miles without a red light or crossing another road, making highspeed bikes a quick way to travel.

I've broken wrist, foot and leg in the past and got a concussion in a biking accident as a kid.. collarbone is definitely the most painful

go figure they subsidize your commute, why do i live in this shithole of a country when some countries do that!  end rant.

makes perfect sense, are you going to keep with it or do you take this as a bad omen?

44 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

go figure they subsidize your commute, why do i live in this shithole of a country when some countries do that!  end rant.

makes perfect sense, are you going to keep with it or do you take this as a bad omen?

When I lived in Holland, they made a discount of something like 75% of my bike so I could afford to cycle to work. Then work allowed me to pay the remaining sum monthly, taking 10% of my pay cheque - I got a 1200Euro bike for 30Euro a month for 6 monhts (it was already on too 50% sale, so saved nearly 600E just on that)

25 minutes ago, Matt said:

When I lived in Holland, they made a discount of something like 75% of my bike so I could afford to cycle to work. Then work allowed me to pay the remaining sum monthly, taking 10% of my pay cheque - I got a 1200Euro bike for 30Euro a month for 6 monhts (it was already on too 50% sale, so saved nearly 600E just on that)

trump will probably tax cyclists "they're taking over the roads and hurting the gas industry, get em outta here"

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

I'm going to keep cycling to work but from now on I'll never again assume the driver of an oncoming car saw me 😉

Besides at 23 cent per kilometre I've got about two more years to go before I recoupe prize of bike.

Hope you are back to normal soon Holystove.  Though, with your experience of accidents, you must know what to do!  The problem with bikes and motorbikes is that you have to rely on other road users and there are lot's of 'dummies' out there.  Almost every time I go out in the car, I come across someone and wonder how they ever passed their driving test.

4 hours ago, Matt said:

I got a 1200Euro bike for 30Euro a month for 6 monhts (it was already on too 50% sale, so saved nearly 600E just on that)

Nobody has a decent bike in Amsterdam I thought Matt; they all ride huge gearless boneshakers in my experience, often with a big box on the front for carrying children and suchlike.

1 hour ago, johnh said:

Hope you are back to normal soon Holystove.  Though, with your experience of accidents, you must know what to do!  The problem with bikes and motorbikes is that you have to rely on other road users and there are lot's of 'dummies' out there.  Almost every time I go out in the car, I come across someone and wonder how they ever passed their driving test.

same in america, some states don't even have a road test, you just take a written test and you can drive!  

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Nobody has a decent bike in Amsterdam I thought Matt; they all ride huge gearless boneshakers in my experience, often with a big box on the front for carrying children and suchlike.

I lived 20km outside of Amsterdam but would ride in of a weekend. No one locks up the decent bikes on the street;  a lot of people spend thousands on them, they’re just never left out of eye contact. 

16 hours ago, johnh said:

There are many idiotic bike riders too, and you wonder how they haven't been squished like a bug.