IGNORED

What To Do With Arteta?

I think Artetas biggest problem this seaon is the lack of movement in front of him. He gets the ball looks up and there is absolutely no movement and so he passes it sideways and gets slaughtered for it.What do people expect him to do, beat 8 players then pop it into the top corner?

A lot of people were on his back again against West Ham when he was actually one of our better players on the day. Yes his corners were woeful but he did put himself about and was always available to take the ball.

As the saying goes form is temporary class is permanent

While I agree that at times the movement has been poor, there have also been times when he has neglected to play a simple forward pass. Fellaini who is naturally a more defensive player is always looking up and trying to get the team going forward. If he can do it then why cant Arteta, who is a much more technical player. Plus he has been caught in posession way to many times this season.

I just think he is off the pace. I couldnt tell you why but he seems half a yard behind everyone else. There have been more glimpses of him getting better recently but unless he is in space (which invariably he isnt) then he isnt making any impact on the game, and at the amount it is costing the club he should be doing a damn site better. Thats also applies to a few others as well.

With regards to CraigB's point, all I would say is that Felli is better deeper and Arteta is better higher up the pitch. Yes they can swap and if for whatever reason Felli goes forward, arteta can sit a little BUT in general it should be Arteta that should be breaking forward because he is better technically and generally he is better at drifting into space and creating openings. Felli scored against West Ham because he was moved forward by Moyes, not because he was 'rotating' with Arteta.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not claiming he had a blinder agaist West Ham Im just saying he was nowhere near as bad as some people are making him out to be.

Everybody knows his form has been poor but so has the entire teams.

Im sure if we had players making decent runs in front of him then more often than not he would find the right pass to pick them out

Im not claiming he had a blinder agaist West Ham Im just saying he was nowhere near as bad as some people are making him out to be.

Everybody knows his form has been poor but so has the entire teams.

Im sure if we had players making decent runs in front of him then more often than not he would find the right pass to pick them out

The movement from our players was particularly bad against WHU, I was shouting at the top of my lungs MOVE every two minutes. It was embarrassing to watch us lumber around like it didn't matter.

well i think over the two west ham matches as an example who would you rather have Mikky or Scott Parker? i'd never thought id say Parker but he took the piss and BOSSED mikky all over the park. I think he is vastly below par and seems to be strutting around giving it sidewards football. I would drop him for Rodders.

Funny thing isn't it... Dunc was idolised for his no nonsense approach, because he was old school, a blast from the past, a jack palance style Icon. If someone got a smack they must have deserved it. Barton on the otherhand, no stranger to trouble, but maybe he went about his business like gripper stebson.

Not making any excuses for Barton, the issues with 14 year old fan and the cigar incident were awful. As was the fight in the city centre. It does seem that he is making progress and his football is doing the talking. It seems thst the penny has dropped with him, if he stays out of trouble and continues the way he has played then he will be of benefit to most teams in the league.

he played ok yesterday, got forward a few times, did a couple of tricks and played a couple of riskier passes. He is getting better but he needs to be moved more forward. Fellaini is doing well, but he'll never be the creative player Arteta is, Moyes keeps pushing Fellaini forward as he is tall and so a threat in the air. It's a poor move as Fellaini isn't particularly effective around the opposition penalty box and Arteta is completely wasted in our own half. I agree with an earlier poster in that it seems Moyes wants Arteta to help us bring the ball out of defence, stop us hoofing it all the time. I can understand Moyes' logic, but surely Fellaini can do that and Arteta can be pushed up behind the striker(s) to create some problems. He has the brain, the skill, the shooting ability. He's our most talented player and I don't for one minute believe that he's just phoning it in because he's on a bigger contract. I wouldn't sell him, I'd push him forward and see what happens. Rodwell has been a donkey in midfield all season, he doesn't deserve to play either. Arteta, if he is played in his correct position, will be one of the stars of the premier league, he's a brilliant player, he just needs his belief back and a manager who utilises his talent.

This. And surely adds fuel to the fire about Moyes losing the plot, I don't think anyone else in the world would pick Felli as the attacking midfielder and Mikky as the holding player out the pair.

Did you go to Goodison when we had Duncan?

no problem with what happens on the pitch cos that's heat of the moment stuff and duncan was punished for whatever actions he took(including when he was sent to prison)..barton is just a dick of the highest order and anyone who does what he did to a kid is a fuckin disgrace..he's not even that good of a footballer certainly not good enough to overlook his cuntishness..i remember him coming out sayin he is a good role model or summat along them lines..at least duncan knew what he was

Edited by marcopaulo

With regards to CraigB's point, all I would say is that Felli is better deeper and Arteta is better higher up the pitch. Yes they can swap and if for whatever reason Felli goes forward, arteta can sit a little BUT in general it should be Arteta that should be breaking forward because he is better technically and generally he is better at drifting into space and creating openings. Felli scored against West Ham because he was moved forward by Moyes, not because he was 'rotating' with Arteta.

Yeah your right mate, point taken.

ferguson was a thug and anyone who denies it is a clown..he never spouted shite about bein a good role model and all that crap to people though..he never stubbed a cigar in a 14 year olds face either

I just think his footballing ability counts for more than what he's done off the pitch, after all he's a footballer. If kids seriously copy the likes of Barton and think it's OK to stub out a cigar in someone's face then that says more about the way they've been brought up.

kids are brought up by idiots though..and if barton is saying he is a role model some clowns will act the big man like he tries to do..does anyone actually think he's that good of a footballer? no better than osman for me

For me, the only thing they're a role model for is kids wanting to earn the same bucketloads of money that they do, nothing more.

I do yeah, and he's a completely different player to Osman and right now would add far more to our side than Arteta. He's got the confidence to slide players in behind defences (Beckford anyone?), I can't remember the last time Arteta even attempted one of those. He can take a cracking set piece. He'd add bite to our midfield, which is something we lack.

by bein a cunt? he should thank his lucky stars he was given a gift and he is no role model cos not many people are given the ability he has..he is not in a position to be one and never will be cos of his attitude..as for his ability he really is nothing special in my opinion..fellaini has the bite and drive and arteta needs to be played different or dropped..anyways this is all i will say cos we are gettin away from the point but that man has no business in football

This is Gunna sound stupid to most people, but I think he's been shit since he changed his boots. (once in the summer then again before Xmas) just a thought, but I noticed it quite a while back. And he hits his set pieces differently with his current boots, still badly!

It's not exactly a secret that Arteta isn't having his best season, hence this thread.

He's recovered from a very bad injury, started a family and got the contract he wanted that will probably take him up to his return to his warm Spanish roots.......he's a different person to the one before his injury, every player loses form now and again, so we can only hope he very quickly steps it a bit.I don't think if we drop him it will have the required affect, for me he (if he's ever going to) will only improve with games, playing in his best position.

Hasn't it got to the stage where most now want Baines to take free kicks and corners? surely that shows how things have changed.

Arteta v Barton!....Arteta never has been a player who inspires people around around him, but strangly enough hasn't Barton scored a couple of Arteta type free kicks? There's a place in most teams for both types of player......grit and determination from one and skill and style from the other......bit like having Peter Reid and Kevin Sheedy in the same team.

I'd take Barton, at the right price.

It's not exactly a secret that Arteta isn't having his best season, hence this thread.

He's recovered from a very bad injury, started a family and got the contract he wanted that will probably take him up to his return to his warm Spanish roots.......he's a different person to the one before his injury, every player loses form now and again, so we can only hope he very quickly steps it a bit.I don't think if we drop him it will have the required affect, for me he (if he's ever going to) will only improve with games, playing in his best position.

Hasn't it got to the stage where most now want Baines to take free kicks and corners? surely that shows how things have changed.

Arteta v Barton!....Arteta never has been a player who inspires people around around him, but strangly enough hasn't Barton scored a couple of Arteta type free kicks? There's a place in most teams for both types of player......grit and determination from one and skill and style from the other......bit like having Peter Reid and Kevin Sheedy in the same team.

I'd take Barton, at the right price.

don't agree with that..and i'm sure it's been mentioned that he has been shit this season not since his injury..he came back from that last season and was in good form towards the end of it..i was really excited to have him for the beginning of this one but part of me wishes he would get injured again

don't agree with that..and i'm sure it's been mentioned that he has been shit this season not since his injury..he came back from that last season and was in good form towards the end of it..i was really excited to have him for the beginning of this one but part of me wishes he would get injured again

Wanting Arteta to get injured again, is bordering on the insane.....most of us just want him to regain his form.

Arteta has never been as good as he was pre-injury, even if he did seem to be back on track for a couple of months.

I would rather have sold Arteta than Pienaar.....BUT, Arteta is still an Everton player, a gifted one even if he's not showing us his best at present, he might just get it back.One things for sure if he's fit Moyes will probably take a risk with him, and play him.

If he's injured as you were wishing, we can't play him, sell him (for decent money) or expect him to improve.

Prompting the question!....."what to do with Arteta"

• 4 weeks later...