IGNORED

Everton Vs Manchester City

Lowensda

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed the whole game last night. Back to the traditions of Goddison night games, albeit with a disappointing attendance. However small gripes apart, a stirring peformance that should galvanise the whole club. Watching the team news in the pub the groan when sky announced Hibbert was playing centre half and Neville was still in the team where only drowned out by the Sky Blues tittering in the corner of the pub. Alas he who laughs last........On the pitch, it is fair to see it was backs to the wall for the main, however, similar to what City did to Liverpool last week, they had plenty of ball 25-40 yards out without penetrating the superbly marshalled defence too many times. Most of their attempts on goal where straight forward for Howard, apart from the Nasri blockbuster and Richards early chance. The immense effort shown by all was a credit but beggars the question, where has that been all season. I am not getting carried away, a great New Years Day win at Albion was puntured by a home defeat by Bolton a couple of days later. As mentioned this should galvanise the club and let's hope this performance can be used as a measure of what endeavour, spirit and resolve can produce if lacking in style, flair and skill. Often enough we hear that you should use what you have to your advantage, if our's is endeavour, spirit and resolve then last night we used it from corner flag to corner flag from goal line to goal line. It may not be pretty but last night it was effective, if that annoys the 'big boys' then so be it, maybe that is a reminder that you can't buy everything, somethings have to be earned.

uses that as a serious argument rofl.gif

feel sorry for fans like bluesky

So he thinks Gibsons goal was arranged by Alex and Moysie???WTF? How does he explain that? the only way they could engineer it, would be with the knowledge and assistance of the City team! Hmm, maybe theres a though, thats why we won, it was fixed!!

I enjoyed the whole game last night. Back to the traditions of Goddison night games, albeit with a disappointing attendance. However small gripes apart, a stirring peformance that should galvanise the whole club. Watching the team news in the pub the groan when sky announced Hibbert was playing centre half and Neville was still in the team where only drowned out by the Sky Blues tittering in the corner of the pub. Alas he who laughs last........On the pitch, it is fair to see it was backs to the wall for the main, however, similar to what City did to Liverpool last week, they had plenty of ball 25-40 yards out without penetrating the superbly marshalled defence too many times. Most of their attempts on goal where straight forward for Howard, apart from the Nasri blockbuster and Richards early chance. The immense effort shown by all was a credit but beggars the question, where has that been all season. I am not getting carried away, a great New Years Day win at Albion was puntured by a home defeat by Bolton a couple of days later. As mentioned this should galvanise the club and let's hope this performance can be used as a measure of what endeavour, spirit and resolve can produce if lacking in style, flair and skill. Often enough we hear that you should use what you have to your advantage, if our's is endeavour, spirit and resolve then last night we used it from corner flag to corner flag from goal line to goal line. It may not be pretty but last night it was effective, if that annoys the 'big boys' then so be it, maybe that is a reminder that you can't buy everything, somethings have to be earned.

Yeh good post. It wasnt pretty but it didnt have to be. We saw glimpses against Fulham that we had found our fight and then showed even more of it against City. What has changed? Fuck knows but normally when we start playing like that it continues and although Wigan could really take the wind out of our sales, I am confident that we will win.

Haha that is hilarious. Thats why Im still not convinced BlueSky is a City fan as the others I have come across are complete twats. BlueSky is only a slight one tongue.png

Haha brilliant. I particularly like this bit 'I did not watch the game vs Everton because....'laugh.png

I'm like many - at first I wanted City to do well to add a bit of interest, but I've gone off that idea completely!

As for the game, I thought you played really well and exactly how you need to play against the likes of City, keep it solid at the back and they struggle sometimes to break you down. Might not be pretty but don't think you should be too bothered. Thought Gibson had a decent game - for £500,000 we could've done with someone like him - and Squatshi up front was good.

Like I said in the Rovers thread last week, there's no way you're going to be in a relegation fight come the end of the season, comfortably midtable for you.

Edited by cn174

There's some morons about.

I thought City played reasonably well last night. It would be unfair to say City had a lousy game, they didn't. Everton just stuck to their task, pure and simple.

City showed what's been happening for the last 6 weeks... they find it difficult to break down teams with a lot of men behind the ball. On the break, City can be lethal, but they didn't have enough breaks last night, and they weren't lethal.

If anything, I'd say City are trying too hard actually. Over-playing things. Mindful of the pressure etc. Everton had nothing to lose really, few expected them to win (except me! and I said the same in early Jan when asked about new year predictions!). Everton can give ANY team a run for their money when they play well (sadly they don't play well often enough, but last night they did!).

There's no shame in losing to Everton at Goodison. We've seen all the top teams slip up, and City aren't immune to it.

I don't believe City should be too worried, but I do think Everton can take a lot of inspiration from the win and possibly turn a corner.... but it's just Everton's style to lose to Wolves or something. That's the way this league is.

Now, this is NOT a negative comment on Everton, even if it may seem so at a cursory glance:

I don't think Everton played 'amazingly'.

I think they played as a good team should, and it's possibly a mark of how poorly they've been playing that made last night look so great. Don't get me wrong, I am not demeaning their achievement, I'm saying this is what Everton could do far more often. It wasn't a 'miracle' performance. It was a solid, workmanlike performance from a very decent team against a more creative team who simply couldn't break Everton down. Sometimes creativity wins games, sometimes sheer hard work wins games. Sheer hard work beat creativity last night and I don't think any fan ever asks for more than that.

As for City fans conspiracy theories - hmmm, I think you can find a bunch of morons representing any fan base at any club. Sometimes, there are just teams you don't like playing, and that's that. United don't like playing Liverpool. City don't like playing Everton. United win leagues 'cos they're a fine team.

Anybody who actually knows anything about football accepts last night for what it was... two good teams, a good match and one team scored one more goal than the other. This is football as Mr Mancini would say.... this is football.

Edited by BlueSky

Yeh good post. It wasnt pretty but it didnt have to be. We saw glimpses against Fulham that we had found our fight and then showed even more of it against City. What has changed? Fuck knows but normally when we start playing like that it continues and although Wigan could really take the wind out of our sales, I am confident that we will win.

Haha that is hilarious. Thats why Im still not convinced BlueSky is a City fan as the others I have come across are complete twats. BlueSky is only a slight one tongue.png

What folks forget is, the internet attracts nutters. There's opposing fans posing as home fans and vice versa, there's deluded dipsticks and there are out and out trailer park trash at every club. It's shocking. The sooner they disable this internet and go back to having to write letters the better.

But... I do wonder how the hell United get ALL SIX games at home after European nights. Slightly against the odd there I think!

Think it's a bit odd Mancini saying it was his fault because he thought it'd be easyhuh.png .

He's lost seventeen league games since he went to City....two against United, two v Sunderland, two v Chelsea, one each against Spurs, Hull, Arsenal, Villa, Liverpool and Wolves and five against us. You'd think he'd have learned his lesson by nowcool.png .

Roberto Mancini, the City manager, appeared to know what he was up against before the match, which, considering Everton's David Moyes had already defeated him four times in five, was no great surprise. "They fight for every ball. It is not enough to have good players," he said of Everton. This made the Italian's decision to blame himself for the defeat, late last night, all the more eye-catching. "I acknowledge my mistake. It is important for me to know this because like this I can't do the same mistakes in the next game," Mancini said. Pressed to elaborate, he continued: "I didn't prepare well for this game. I thought it was maybe easier. I know here it is never easy, never. I didn't [prepare well] during the training in the last three or four days. The players put everything on the pitch but I made some mistakes."

There's what Mancini said for those that are interested along with the link (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/mancini-takes-rap-after-city-unlocked-by-gibson-6297716.html)

Also, bit of a grammar question here. What does it mean when there are those funny brackets around some of the interview? I got an A in English at school but that is one thing that I've never learned... what are they for?

He actually looked a bit messed up last night, very dejected for sure.

I don't think he knew what to say to be honest. I don't think for a moment he / they were unprepared. It was a strange thing to say.

I don't see why he couldn't just say "sometimes a team raises their game and they put in a great performance. We weren't bad, they were good and we didn't have enough to assert our authority. We need to understand that everybody wants to beat us now and we have to be more determined to stop them"

Some have suggested he was trying to take pressure off players, but it wasn't as if City were lousy.

The brackets are used to apply missing (but deemed important) context.

If an interviewer asks "what next for City?" and I say "We move on", then they could quote "We [City] move on".

You see it most when people accidentally miss out words when talking, it adds the words back in for clarity.

Edited by BlueSky

Think it's a bit odd Mancini saying it was his fault because he thought it'd be easyhuh.png .

He's lost seventeen league games since he went to City....two against United, two v Sunderland, two v Chelsea, one each against Spurs, Hull, Arsenal, Villa, Liverpool and Wolves and five against us. You'd think he'd have learned his lesson by nowcool.png .

Im not really buying it to be honest but I dont know what he was covering up... I think he was even at the Fulham game to watch us?!

Maybe something was lost in translation?

Im not really buying it to be honest but I dont know what he was covering up... I think he was even at the Fulham game to watch us?! Maybe something was lost in translation?

I was thinking this. He's either covering something up or its got missed in translation because on the Everton Facebook page it said that when we played Fulham in the FA Cup both Mancini and Platt were in the stands watching us and I'm sure I've read on some news sites that he had been attending the game before that (forget which one that will have been - Blackburn maybe?)

So yeah, I doubt that any manager woulden't plan for a game, espcially with them being only three points clear at the top (before KO), it would be very foolish and if it does turn out to be true then we will see a lot of angry City fans. Personally I think it could be that he's trying to take the pressure off the players seeing as everyone is talking about them 'not being up to United's standards' and that they can't handle the pressure up top.

The brackets are used to apply missing (but deemed important) context. If an interviewer asks "what next for City?" and I say "We move on", then they could quote "We [City] move on". You see it most when people accidentally miss out words when talking, it adds the words back in for clarity.

Thank you :)

Im not really buying it to be honest but I dont know what he was covering up... I think he was even at the Fulham game to watch us?!

Maybe something was lost in translation?

He makes the comments in English on skysports, probs the framing of the questions put him off so he's bullshitted the blame away from the team

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,,12602_7469591,00.html#

Edited by pete0

Haha this is just too funny xD talk about paranoia at its finest.

I thought the game was good, city were not able to break through our defense because of Heitinga and Hibberts great positioning and awareness.

I am sure Moyes has been coaching Hibbert all week on what to do for this specific game. True masterclass by him.

However, I still hope Duffy will come back for the next game because I really like him and I think he will do really well for us.