IGNORED

Nikica Jelavic

Beattie's career was already on the slide before we signed him, he couldn't even get in the side at Southampton, the Yak has done exactly the same thing at every club he has been at. Moyes did well to even get Saha on the pitch the amount of times he did and Cahill had his best years in football under Moyes and did it over a number of years

AJ got no joy with Refs at Everton and penalties accounted for the vast majority of his goals at Palace so when they dried up he was always going to struggle. He also got most of his England caps as an Everton player so he didn't do too badly

I was waiting for this.

Make all the excuses you want but it doesnt mistake the fact that the majority of strikers that have come to Everton under Moyes have done well in their first 6-12 months and then steadily gone backwards, all seemingly looking well short of confidence. It even happened to Cahill as he was moved further forward.

marcus bent surely had by far the spell of his career at everton?

If you look at this stats you would actually see that is bollocks (although to be fair I thought it was true as well!).

7 goals in 55 appearances for us. He scored 21 out of 61 for Ipswich and 9 in 31 for Leicester before he came to us. After us he struggled with 4 in 46 for Charlton but did manage 7 in 31 for Wigan.

In fact if you actually look at his stats, in the 5 years before he signed for us he scored roughly once every 3 games. In the 5 years after he signed for Everton he averaged a goal roughly every 7.5 games.

I would actually say that is another pretty good example to add to the list!

not a great goalscorer for us no but he was brilliant at the lone striker role and made chances and space for other people..fact is he was a crucial part in a team that got 4th...that to me isn't a failure..also wasn't the bigger goal ratio at lower league clubs?(maybe wrong)

not a great goalscorer for us no but he was brilliant at the lone striker role and made chances and space for other people..fact is he was a crucial part in a team that got 4th...that to me isn't a failure..also wasn't the bigger goal ratio at lower league clubs?(maybe wrong)

Im pretty sure both Ipswich and Leicester were in the top flight at the time as well, albeit both looking likely to be relegated (in fact I think Leicester did get relegated after his season there).

I dont deny that he did what we needed at the time but as a goal scorer he came here with a very healthy strike rate with his previous 3 clubs and left with a poor one.

Marcus bent was a great none goal scoring striker. He worked his arse off, chased down balls, worked the channels, defended from the front. But he wasn't a finisher, yak and Saha were.

I think moyes would use a Ferrari to take his shit to the skip.

Michu, Benteke, Remy, Ba, all quality and within the £££ of what we have paid before. They are out there. It's a time old argument/criticism of moyes that he struggles to get consecutive seasons out of a striker. 11 years is long enough to get a gauge that this is not a coincidence. I'd love for it not to be true but i'm afraid that stats don't look good.

We were reported to have tried for both but couldn't match the wages on offer

I was waiting for this.

Make all the excuses you want but it doesnt mistake the fact that the majority of strikers that have come to Everton under Moyes have done well in their first 6-12 months and then steadily gone backwards, all seemingly looking well short of confidence. It even happened to Cahill as he was moved further forward.

If you look at this stats you would actually see that is bollocks (although to be fair I thought it was true as well!).

7 goals in 55 appearances for us. He scored 21 out of 61 for Ipswich and 9 in 31 for Leicester before he came to us. After us he struggled with 4 in 46 for Charlton but did manage 7 in 31 for Wigan.

In fact if you actually look at his stats, in the 5 years before he signed for us he scored roughly once every 3 games. In the 5 years after he signed for Everton he averaged a goal roughly every 7.5 games.

I would actually say that is another pretty good example to add to the list!

Im not making excuses Im stating facts, its not like any of them have left Everton then started banging the goals in is it?

Im not making excuses Im stating facts, its not like any of them have left Everton then started banging the goals in is it?

Thats part of the point. We bought them when they were decent goal scorers, eroded all their self belief and sold them on. As GR says Yakubu did alright, Saha scored a couple but still looked crap and the same with AJ (although he barely plyed through injury).

After reading the article about Moyes and hia stats I do wonder if they are trying too hard to follow instructions rather than letting their natural predatory instincts kick in. After all its not like strikers are generally the cleverest and Jelavic looks like it wouldnt take too much to confuse him!

After reading the article about Moyes and hia stats I do wonder if they are trying too hard to follow instructions rather than letting their natural predatory instincts kick in. After all its not like strikers are generally the cleverest and Jelavic looks like it wouldnt take too much to confuse him!

Wouldn't that just be another reason he isn't top class? Surely we can't be blaming Moyes for asking too much of his players. I don't agree with the let-strikers-be-lazy-and-hope-they-make-up-for-it-by-scoring-goals-talk above either. Whenever I watch the top teams in Europe play, one thing that's very noticable is how much their attackers run and defend. They all do it: Barcelona, Dortmund, Bayern, all of them. World-class players like Messi and Lewandowski run their socks off, even the ones with huge egos like Robben and Ribéry do it and aren't above it. So I think we can expect the same from Jelavic, he isn't too big to work hard. The days of strikers who wait in the box and poach goals are over.

Wouldn't that just be another reason he isn't top class? Surely we can't be blaming Moyes for asking too much of his players. I don't agree with the let-strikers-be-lazy-and-hope-they-make-up-for-it-by-scoring-goals-talk above either. Whenever I watch the top teams in Europe play, one thing that's very noticable is how much their attackers run and defend. They all do it: Barcelona, Dortmund, Bayern, all of them. World-class players like Messi and Lewandowski run their socks off, even the ones with huge egos like Robben and Ribéry do it and aren't above it. So I think we can expect the same from Jelavic, he isn't too big to work hard. The days of strikers who wait in the box and poach goals are over.

As I said before, maybe I used top class too liberally but my view is that he is a very good goalscorer and can be one of the better strikers in the Premier League scoring 10-15 goals a season consistently.

I have never stated that striker should be lazy and not do their fair share of work. I have always stated that attackers should be the first line of defence and that we should press higher up the pitch. I just wonder whether Moyes' stats men are asking them to think too much about the areas they are playing in, instead of using their natural ability to get themselves into the positions they need to be to score goals. Its purely speculation of course.

I think some of the worlds best strikers have been lazy, well, i'm not sure lazy is the best way to put it. But I dont want to see a striker chasing a ball into the corner, i want him waiting in the middle.

Yak was a perfect example, when he was left to stand around the box he scored for fun. Then he started chasing balls down, waste of time.

true. but that irritated the life out of me...

As I said before, maybe I used top class too liberally but my view is that he is a very good goalscorer and can be one of the better strikers in the Premier League scoring 10-15 goals a season consistently.

I have never stated that striker should be lazy and not do their fair share of work. I have always stated that attackers should be the first line of defence and that we should press higher up the pitch. I just wonder whether Moyes' stats men are asking them to think too much about the areas they are playing in, instead of using their natural ability to get themselves into the positions they need to be to score goals. Its purely speculation of course.

I'm sorry, that wasn't aimed at you either, meant it at Haf and whoever said something similar above.

To be fair, the Yak did for blackburn and Saha scored a few and looked a lot more threatening with spurs than he did for us.

Blackburn were in the Championship and Saha impressed so much he was released on a free at the end of the season, don't think he has scored a single goal for Sunderland yet

This

Blackburn were in the Championship and Saha impressed so much he was released on a free at the end of the season, don't think he has scored a single goal for Sunderland yet

This

He's not with Sunderland now, he's playing in South Africa (I think).

And weren't Blackburn still in the Premier League while Yak was there? He left when they were relegated and went to China or somewhere didn't he?

Edited by Romey 1878

Think you will find yak was with blackburn in the premiership, as Romey said. And he was 3rd highest scorer if i remember rightly. I didnt say Saha was great for spurs, but he certainly looked a lot more threatening with them than he did for us, and scored more goals when he was there than he did for us that season. I think the main reason spurs let him go was because of his age and injury record.

Does Moyes have any flaws in your opinion dunc?

He's not with Sunderland now, he's playing in South Africa (I think).

And weren't Blackburn still in the Premier League while Yak was there? He left when they were relegated and went to China or somewhere didn't he?

Saha actually signed a short-term deal with Lazio. I doubt he will be there next season, though. Time he either hangs up his boots, or moves to a "retirement league"..

i really think weve had our run with him. He hasnt any pace and is obviously a player that relies on confidence. His heading his poor and i think if we get a good offer we can do better

Think you will find yak was with blackburn in the premiership, as Romey said. And he was 3rd highest scorer if i remember rightly. I didnt say Saha was great for spurs, but he certainly looked a lot more threatening with them than he did for us, and scored more goals when he was there than he did for us that season. I think the main reason spurs let him go was because of his age and injury record.

Does Moyes have any flaws in your opinion dunc?

Ive never once said that Moyes was perfect, nobody is, however I just think he is a lot better than some of you give him credit for

Ive never once said that Moyes was perfect, nobody is, however I just think he is a lot better than some of you give him credit for

Hes a hell of a lot better than Ive seen some people speak about him on this board. Almost Always a top 8 club under him despite not spending money of a team befitting of our place. Yeah we lose to some bottom feeders, but frequently we look quite impressive against top sides, and most importantly Moyes has done an amazing job of keeping top players here despite almost constant speculation over outgoing transfers. That being said, yeah the football is often ugly, strikers rarely flourish, and he doesn't give youngsters enough of a chance, but really who would do better? 2 years ago people were calling for Owen Coyle, and now Roberto Martinez. Maybe Martinez is good enough, and our squad is older and he could help build the next generation, but if Moyes wants to be here then I want him here. Consistency is what makes someone great, and we have been consistently very good under Moyes. Maybe not often great, but would do better?

Guest blueboy122

I think that what ever striker we bring in will be eroded by Moyes well thats what I fear anyway. I have always thought that strengthening the midfeild would be a better priority this summer.

I never said you had said he was perfect, ive just never seen you criticise him once, even when some of his subs/team selection for example is indefensible. I think most people on this board criticise him (and quite rightly) for what he is not good at. But at the same time, people dont give him as much credit as they should for what he is good at.

I never said you had said he was perfect, ive just never seen you criticise him once, even when some of his subs/team selection for example is indefensible. I think most people on this board criticise him (and quite rightly) for what he is not good at. But at the same time, people dont give him as much credit as they should for what he is good at.

To be fair it probably does seem that way because I am always defending him, but maybe thats because more often than not he gets it right . I just feel there are a lot of people in here that want to put him down at every chance they get and its normally totally unjustified

To be fair it probably does seem that way because I am always defending him, but maybe thats because more often than not he gets it right . I just feel there are a lot of people in here that want to put him down at every chance they get and its normally totally unjustified

Like i said in my other post, i dont think its nessacerily people wanting to "put him down" just that they seem to point out when he is wrong more than when he is right and thats me in included if im being honest. But IMO there is no denying that after a bit of time at the club, strikers abilitys seem to deminish.

Im just hoping that its a case of the tough second year. I still believe in Jelavic. Just needs to be used correctly and a shitload of confidence.

With us getting a new manager I definitely don't want him sold in the summer. I'd like to see what a new manager (and therefore new ideas, ways of playing) could get out of him.

• 5 months later...