IGNORED

Nikica Jelavic

I think it's time I give up the optimism, he's not going to score soon if he keeps going like this. I think both him and Moyes are to blame. I'm not sure if Moyes keeps instructing him to keep moving into channels, but if he does it's like he's having a laugh at his expense, because the rest of the team seem quite content to either just pass the ball around or to lump it upfield. Through balls are unheard of except with Baines down the left a couple of times per match. I think Jelavic is trying too hard also. I appreciate the effort and obviously I like him showing passion and trying to turn things around, but he needs to play more intelligently. He can't keep chasing lost causes, and looking for opportunities down the flanks. Lately there's been a few decent crosses into the box with no one there in a good position to try and finish them off - often it's actually Jela who's crossing the ball ffs.

Edited by Fearthainn

If he doesn't play the channels then he doesn't see the ball at all.

I've watched him and he does make intelligent runs, he even points to the stupid bastards where he wants the ball to be played and makes his move only for the dick head with the ball to turn and play the ball sideways! It's like they're terrified of playing a killer pass.

• 2 weeks later...

Good stuff. We don't have to pretend we're happy with his form or that zero concern should come from it but we should also keep in perspective that even the best guys go through scoring droughts. Sometimes it just happens. We know Jelavic has the skill; it's all mental with him. Hopefully the Man City goal sparks him and gives him some confidence.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Jelly would do well partnering with Vic. We saw against Spurs how Cheebs can hold up the ball; now if he'd learned how to lay it off more instead of going for glory - would free up Fellaini to drop back and boss the midfield. Jelly just needs the ball played to him more.

Howard

Coleman Jags Distin Baines

Gibson Fellaini
Mirallas Pienaar
Anichebe
Jelavic
I reckon this would be a strong team.

Although Vic did a great job against Spurs, I think it was a harsh decision to leave Jela benched. In my mind Victor is great for the style we seem to play with Fellaini on the park, but since Barkley was played I thought Jela would have benefited from some decent service along the turf. Obviously it didn't turn out that way because he was chucked on the wing, but I reckon if Barkley gets a bit more game time and is played centrally he and Jela could form a decent partnership.

It was a tough away game and Moyes was not going to go gung ho with both Vic and Jelly playing, i think choosing Vic as lone striker worked out better than choosing Jelly in that loan strikers role.

I also think Oviedo would have been a better choice at left midfield, he had no need to throw Barkley into such a high profile game.

Draw was a fair result.

Ye cant see what Barkley would have gained from that.

We saw yesterday that he is still prone to giving the ball away in dangerous situations and he just does not have the work rate to make up for it.

Anichebe showed again what he is capable of and just needs that little bit of confidence to finish and he could be a great player.

But after all that i still think Jela has a lot to offer us. and personally i would like to see more of those two together with Mirallas coming in from the right.

Ye cant see what Barkley would have gained from that.

We saw yesterday that he is still prone to giving the ball away in dangerous situations and he just does not have the work rate to make up for it.

Anichebe showed again what he is capable of and just needs that little bit of confidence to finish and he could be a great player.

But after all that i still think Jela has a lot to offer us. and personally i would like to see more of those two together with Mirallas coming in from the right.

Can't disagree with any of that.

Vic just suits the way we play so much better at the moment and although I thought they could work well together initially, they are always caught too far apart and very rarely did they link up.

I would definitely start Vic and get him to run himself into the ground allowing Jela to come on for the last 20-30 mins and finish them off just like he did against City. Vic wont stay injury free until the end of the season so there will always be opportunities for him.

3thd7k.jpg

Lazy journalism.

There is not one quote from Jelavic and most of the story has quotes from Heitinga in it. I'd only believe this article if Jelly himself has come out and said something which he hasn't. The celebration after the Manchester City goal proved he has tons of passion for the club and I can't see him leaving.

• 3 weeks later...

I think having Fellaini playing on top with him, especially the first half of the season really hurt Jela. We would hoof the ball up for Fellaini a lot and not play nearly as many through balls ON THE GROUND for Jela as we did last season. Jela works best when he can run onto the ball and one time his shots.

I've always backed Jelly but after today I would sell him. He got a chance in the first half which he managed to hit with his standing foot (which meant that he fell over himself) and there was another chance where instead of hitting the target he booted it out for a throw-in.

I think it's time we cashed in before he's worth nothing. We need a striker like the old Jelavic in the team.

I really dont know what has happened to him. Yesterdays game would have been the perfect opportunity for him to make a big contribution. Even if he didnt score, he had the players around him to feed off and create chances. When he came to the club he seemed much better at controlling the ball and bringing others into play and then looking to turn and get in behind. In the last couple of games (since Spurs) we havent seen enough of either him or Vic getting hold of the ball, taking and touch and laying it off for others to get involved so that they can feed him in.

Maybe it is just that the defenders know that if they get a little physical with him then he struggles to get control of the ball but even so, he simply isnt seeing enough of the ball during the game for that to be the case.

Having Barkley behind him may help because him and Vic dont seem to work together. Maybe just getting him to stay more centrally would get him in play more, but I think Moyes needs to sit him down and watch his games from last season and see how much sharper and clinical his runs were and how much clearer his decision making was. We desperately need a striker to start scoring as they all seem to have a brief spell before losing all confidence and going off the boil.

I think we needed to play to his strengths (a ball playing attacking midfielder behind him for him to make runs for, have the ball ahead of him), we didn't do that, we persisted with Felli and hoofing it up to his chest and seeing where the ball ended up. The longer we did this, the more his confidence suffered.

Everton complete around 350 passes a game and less than 10 are ever exchanged between these two.... nearly all balls into the box are arial crosses aimed at felli. All in all what has happened is that the players confidence has become shot. If it can happen to Torres (one of the best finishers i've seen) - it can happen to anyone.

It is a similar scenario that we have seen with other strikers - we don't play to their strengths. We had Yak chasing balls down the channels, AJ played as a right winger, Saha having to share the space in the 'hole' with Cahill. The one striker we are utilising correctly is Big Vic, he's playing like a Mark Hughes for United. Other than that Marcus Bent was the last time I seen a striker utilised the way he should have been.

It's an old age issue, when are we going to get a striker who we can utilise correctly?