IGNORED

Joao Silva

so he started 40 games in 2 seasons for us? is that really so bad? he was a kid remember..i think we used him correctly..hardly spoiled his talent by not playing him that much as you say did we

I don't think that starting the best player we had in 6/10 games is good at all. As I say, he was physically well advanced, he was bullying centre halves at 17! He was an england international.

Plain and simple over caution by Moyes - a common theme.

But it seems it worked given the links you posted....

'Three times in the last four outings the precocious talents of Rooney have been kept in reserve by Everton manager David Moyes and, on each occasion, that cautious selection policy has reaped significant rewards in the Merseysiders' battle for Premiership security.

Alan Irvine, "If you cast your mind back to last season, you will recall that Wayne had his best impact coming off the bench, and he seems to be doing that again this season."'

You will see more of Barkley now the transfer window has shut.

Imagine if Barkley was playing the last two months and set the prem on fire. Now we would all be here shouting our m ouths of that we can't believe the club have sold him. We are in a lot of debt and we can't turn down 20+ million bids....that much is fact.

Another thing to remember is that we are playing in the premier league and the slightest mistake or wrong desicion can cost you a goal...which by our goal scoring recored usually means 3 points. Then look at our position in the league and take another six points away...suddenly we are in dire trouble.

Yes moyes is being negative or Defensive i would rather put it, but it is keeping us safe.

A few more wins to secure mid table and i would start looking towards next season if i was boss.

Dont get me wrong, every time i look at the teamsheet and dont see Barkley i sigh! i would love to see him every match, but then i take that oh so important step back and think about the bigger picture.

Saying Rooney was way ahead of the normal 17 year olds might well be true, but anyone who thought they were one of the big boys at 17...only to get knocked out by a much smaller 30 year old...yes im talking from experience haha!..... would tell you, you might be big and well built but your muscles are still 17 year old muscles and are not fully matured yet.

That memory still hurts!

To coin shearers phrase I recall at the time "HE ISN'T A BOY - THAT IS A MAN" - shearer couldn't believe the way rooney was dumping 6 footers on their back sides, holding up the ball, distating play from the front - "He is ready" was another shout.

Stating that Rooney had an impact off the bench for me was an indication that his absence at the start left a void -plainly and simply, to win matches, you play your best players - he was our best by a considerable distance.

There are far more players in that first 11 prone to mistakes without contributing very much in creation other than Barkley, his absence is getting more and more curious as time goes by and our inability to create becomes more and more apparent.

Edited by Hafnia

Ok with Rooney i concede, but he is an exeption and there is always one. Could barkley stand up to the same physical contact? more importantly, could Barkley stand up to the same pressure and confidence knocks? my initial thoughts are that no he couldn't.

I could be wrong though. But after seeing his nervous disposition and chewing gum in his first interview.....he looked like a young boy suddenly stepping up to a man's world.

But i have to concede that if he does not make some kind of appearance in the next few weeks then i might even start to question.

Coming of the bench Saturday when we are 3.0 up for the last 20 mins would be nice.

Ok with Rooney i concede, but he is an exeption and there is always one. Could barkley stand up to the same physical contact? more importantly, could Barkley stand up to the same pressure and confidence knocks? my initial thoughts are that no he couldn't.

I could be wrong though. But after seeing his nervous disposition and chewing gum in his first interview.....he looked like a young boy suddenly stepping up to a man's world.

But i have to concede that if he does not make some kind of appearance in the next few weeks then i might even start to question.

Coming of the bench Saturday when we are 3.0 up for the last 20 mins would be nice.

I thought the complete opposite after watching that interview. The chewing of the gum to me suggests that he is extremely laid back, and he didnt seem at all nervous in the interview, he even started bragging about nutmegging Cahill ! The lad oozes confidence IMO

And to suggest we will now see more of Barkley because the transfer window has shut is ridiculous. He hasnt played 20 minutes since Blackburn in the 2nd-3rd game of the season! Or that may be Moyes' idea of "Forward thinking" dry.png

Edited by GoodisonRoad

Blimey, some poor memories on here, he rarely played 90 minutes, of the 67 league games he appeared in he started 27 on the bench, 40% of his games started on the bench... this at a time when he was actually playing for England - arguably the most important player! The games he started he rarely finished.

Dunc, "people" - being the fans were moaning about it,

http://www.telegraph...mark-again.html

http://www.highbeam....-111486515.html

For the record Rooney wasn't a 17 year old in the sense of others, there was no way he could face burn out, physically he was 4 years advanced of his time.

Dunc, you really do need to start using google and wiki (like your moyes and strikers opinion) - Rooney is his first season at Man United even with the quality competition had 41 appearances with only 6 starting as a sub...

I took your advice and I have been on google and wiki but I still cant find anywhere on the web that tells you that Wayne Rooney is exempt from burn out

I took your advice and I have been on google and wiki but I still cant find anywhere on the web that tells you that Wayne Rooney is exempt from burn out

Ah Dunc is that the crumb that you are desperately clinging to now you know rooneys playing time wasn't all you cracked it up to be... Or that fergie didnt use him sporadically?

Ok I'll let you off with one, maybe Rooney could face burnout if he was left with a pocket full of money in amsterdams red light district...

Moyes was right in how he nurtured Rooney(70 mins Radzinski to tire the defence then Rooney coming on to make an impact), he should never have been getting 90 minutes for England and probably would have been a better player now with more discipline, respect, and actual talent rather than a big bag of raw potential that he sadly has not lived up to. Fergie didnt have the balls to bench/sub him as much a Moyes did, too much player power these days.

I thought the complete opposite after watching that interview. The chewing of the gum to me suggests that he is extremely laid back, and he didnt seem at all nervous in the interview, he even started bragging about nutmegging Cahill ! The lad oozes confidence IMO

And to suggest we will now see more of Barkley because the transfer window has shut is ridiculous. He hasnt played 20 minutes since Blackburn in the 2nd-3rd game of the season! Or that may be Moyes' idea of "Forward thinking" dry.png

To be honest i thought that was mostly because he was injured at the through most of the season? i could be wrong :)

But after Rooney, Lescott and Arteta...as a manager it would cross my mind that with all the rumours in the papers about Chelsea about to bid for Barkley....do i want to put him in the shop window?

I am not saying this is the reason, just that i would have hated to see him impress for 3 or 4 matches and then see a 20m offer come in....simple fact is we can't turn that kind of dollar down.

While you saw a young man oozing confidence....i saw a young boy with a defense mechanism up. Now wehn i see someone like Rodders speak...that oozes confidence to me as he speaks like a mature adult with nothing to prove.

but just an opinion friend.

Ah Dunc is that the crumb that you are desperately clinging to now you know rooneys playing time wasn't all you cracked it up to be... Or that fergie didnt use him sporadically?

Ok I'll let you off with one, maybe Rooney could face burnout if he was left with a pocket full of money in amsterdams red light district...

What are you talking about?

All I said was that I beleived Moyes has handled him correctly, just as I beleive he is handling Barkley correctly

Look at the way The Shite handled Michael Owen compared to the way Ferguson handled Giggs and Beckham and see how they turned out.

I am begining to wonder why you support Everton, maybe support is the wrong word, because you just complain about everything and everyone connected with the club.

You have got Moyes down as some hapless idiot who has never done anything decent for the club in his entire career, you even had a moan when he publicly praised Jelevic the other day.I get it you want Moyes and The Board sacked but in true Buffon Union logic you have no suggestions for what it is you actually want instead.

Why do you have to turn every single thread into an anti Moyes/BK thread?

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

Steady Eddie! thought this was supposed to be a thread on Joao Silva? I would like to see him here so I can have a look at him, never mind Moyes or Round, just me. I will be the judge of whether he is any good or not. Bloody hell, it does't take a genius to make your mind up if a Builder is a cowboy or not after a few days does it? So shall it be written, so shall it be done.biggrin.png

All I said was that I beleived Moyes has handled him correctly, just as I beleive he is handling Barkley correctly

Look at the way The Shite handled Michael Owen compared to the way Ferguson handled Giggs and Beckham and see how they turned out.

I am begining to wonder why you support Everton, maybe support is the wrong word, because you just complain about everything and everyone connected with the club.

You have got Moyes down as some hapless idiot who has never done anything decent for the club in his entire career, you even had a moan when he publicly praised Jelevic the other day.I get it you want Moyes and The Board sacked but in true Buffon Union logic you have no suggestions for what it is you actually want instead.

Giggs in his first full season played 51 times - he was 17. Season after that 46, season after that 58... Not really sure what point it is your trying to make, but giggs isn't the example you want.

Seriously, reply to the post, not the person making the post. My opinions are based on stats - try it.

For the record I've given moyes credit for what he is due, so stop creating nonsense. Unfortunately for moyes he is taking some stick for the most negative, dull and dreary football in years. You can probably review the match threads for that proof. His sandbagging needs to stop, the jelavic interview was prime example of that...

Anyway back to silva...

Moyes said towards the end of last season that Barkley would feature this season though Dunc, and so far he has hardly done that, one mistake and he has been pushed sideways, Vellios is the same, he was our top scorer then he scored a hat trick in the reserves but Moyes just seems to have pushed him sideways at the moment, but there is something going on with Barkley imo, it's all a bit weird that we can't afford to have quality players sat on the bench, they need to be in the team even at that age. Edited by theprisoner

The kicker for me is that Barkley isnt getting any game time from the bench. I could understand Moyes not wanting to start him week in week out, but to not even have him on the bench as an option in the last half hour is strange to say the least. He wont learn anything by playing with the U18's.

When people say "In moyes we trust"- I would tend to add "to cut his own nose off to spite his face"

I know three people who work in direct contact with him. Was told a good while ago about his working style - "autocratic" to the point of the ridiculous. In my opinion at the time as long as we get the results and survive relegation then i'm not bothered.

However, as time goes on, you can see how this style has affected certain decisions. His reluctance to change, experiment, hesitance, over analytical to the point of being unable to manage by seat of pants (who is going to hand him his opta stats midway through the game?)

Unfortunately he seems to be stuck in the era of plucky Everton - a team where ability was supplemented by desire and hard work. The news is, Kilbane, pembridge, and bent have gone. The evolution of the team meant players who have a little bit of flair, attitude, less desire to run like headless chickens needed to be accomodated. This is where he fails. he can't deal with people who don't do it his way - regardless of their ability. He once famously told Mark Lawrenson he wished he had 11 Kilbanes.

Craig Bellamy anyone??? For me the exact player we could have done with against Wigan - would he quietly get on with things whilst neville made wasted pass after wasted pass? - Nope he would have been shouting, cajolling, leading by example and generally not accepting a tame perfromance. Here's his comments on Moyes and Everton...

“I was ready to sign, but the meeting I had in his house was completely different to the one a few weeks before. He had a list of rules; I don’t know if someone had been in his ear, but he just seemed completely different.

The longer this Barkley debacle goes on, the more i'm inclined to agree with Pris - something wrong has gone on and there is a battle of wills. There can be no explanation for his absence - the ability is better than what we have in central midfield or attacking midfield from a creativity persepctive...

Maybe Ross has been showboating in training or something, i don't know, but you can imagine if he was doing nutmegs on the Cahill's and Nevilles and stepovers all the time, Moyes is probably having heart attacks, in which case i could slightly understand that maybe Ross was being a bit cocky and just needed a word in the ear. It still does'nt explain the continued stint outside of the first team, we need our best team every game, and we have a potentially the next Steven Gerrard at the club, we can't afford to not use a player like that when he is fit, Gibson has hardly set the world on fire, Rodwell is never fit, Osman is inconsistent (and unfit) and Felli is well er Felli sometimes he's a beast and other times he is shocking. GIVE THE LAD A GO DAVEY!!!

• 3 months later...

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/7797406/Silva-open-to-Portugal-return

Ya know, on FIFA (totally inaccurate) he's not that bad. I wonder if he's not that good because it doesn't seem he's had a sniff of a chance at getting into the first team here... In fact, he's been on loan more than he's actually been at home it seems, then again he's older, so first team play elsewhere is probably better for him than training here and Reserve team play. Has anyone on this forum actually seen him play?

http://www1.skysport...Portugal-return

Ya know, on FIFA (totally inaccurate) he's not that bad. I wonder if he's not that good because it doesn't seem he's had a sniff of a chance at getting into the first team here... In fact, he's been on loan more than he's actually been at home it seems, then again he's older, so first team play elsewhere is probably better for him than training here and Reserve team play. Has anyone on this forum actually seen him play?

considering hes saying Everton dont want to let him go and given those who have been let go already, he must be rated by the management. But if hes looking to go out again and only 1 year on his contract, dont understand why we wouldnt sell now?

Think ive seen him in 1 set of highlights for a reserve game and he looked ok but short of that know nothing about the lad

Edited by Matt

• 1 month later...