IGNORED

West Brom (home)

THFC6061

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's not really much to say about this game in all honesty. There wasn't much quality in the game, both sides were very flat, but what little quality there was came from us. The few times we clicked we looked like the side from the past two games; slick as fuck. We were playing lovely one touch, quick moves. It was brilliant to watch at times. But, like I said, for large periods of the game we were flat. Even so, I don't think we ever played badly at any point, just not good either. If that makes sense?

All in all, West Brom never posed a threat to us and it just a matter of us getting the goal or goals needed to win the game and we did that without stretching ourselves. So it was a job well done and a good three points.

Howard - I can only remember him needing to make one save and it was a crucial one in the first half. If they'd have managed to score it could have been one of those games for us.

Hibbert - Wasn't pushed defensively and was always up in support in attack and his crossing was miles better than Baines'. And in the first half he made a brilliant run that took the WBA defender away allowing Jelavic space to run into.

Jagielka - Didn't look shaky like he has done recently, he was solid when called upon even though it wasn't very often. Also, he was a lot more willing to play the ball along the ground.

Heitinga - Played one stray pass in a dangerous area but other than that was solid.

Baines - Also wasn't pushed defensively and was always pushing up when we went forward. However, his delivery was absolutely terrible today; whether that was crossing or putting a corner in.

Osman - When we clicked he was a major player for us. His link-up play with Jelavic was a particular highlight for me.

Gibson - Neat and tidy once again. He kept us ticking over.

Fellaini - I don't think he had a great day tbh. He lost the ball too often for my liking and his little strop was embarrassing.

Pienaar - I thought he took his time getting into the game but, like Osman, when we clicked and looked brilliant he was a key player. He linked up well with Baines (as usual) and also with Jelavic. I can see those three being very dangerous when they get in the groove. Throw Ossie into the mix and it could be dynamite watching them and their one touch triangles.

Cahill - He was alright. Didn't have quite the same effectiveness or fire as against Sunderland but still put a good shift in.

Jelavic - Despite not scoring and not really ever coming close to scoring I thought he was superb. His hold up play was brilliant and that's crucial when you have a midfield as slow as ours. He plays the same sort of role as Gibson in that he keeps us ticking over, just further up the pitch. Some of his movement was pure quality, and he spreads the play excellently. My MOTM.

very comfortable for you guys. we were just plain frustrating with very little to offer going forward. couldve scored midway through the first half had brunt not got in the way, but really it was always going to be a hugely tough game and im not surprised at the outcome. hoping you can make the FA cup final :)

Didn't see the game, was over in The New Forest doing some birdwatching yesterday, but from all accounts it seems like it was a mundane kind of game, nothing special, just two teams going at it half heartedly, Albion seemed to have accepted defeat before the game some even went as far to say. I think all said, regardless of performance, it is three points and we can't argue with that. There will be bigger fish to fry before end of season.

Certainly wasnt a thriller but we got the job done, which is good considering its the type of game we usually throw away a couple of points.

I dont think anybody stood out as being particularly good or bad. I thought Jelavic's movement was excellent and his desire to create space and chase things down, however I thought his touch at time was really poor and there were a couple of times he just needed to get his foot on the ball and move us up the pitch, but he tried a strange flick or the ball bobbled away from him. If he can improve that side of his game then we really do seem to have a player on our hands!

I also thought Gueye did really well coming off the bench. He looks like he is starting to mature and impose himself on the game instead of letting it drift by. Its still early days but I am optimistic that he will have a bright future at the club.

Finally I will also say well done Moyes on making the right subs at the right times. It sounds like Osman may have picked up some sort of slight knock but there are plenty of times these players have carried on or even started games not 100% and its good to see Moyes trusted Maggie to take over from Ozzy. Same can be said of Cahill. He was doing alright, but not really adding anything to the game. Too many times this season Moyes has kept him on for the 90mins but this time he switched it round and Vic proved his worth and showed that bringing on someone fresh can make a difference.