IGNORED

Next Season's Manager

Next Seasons Manager  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like to see in charge for next season?

• David Moyes
    • Brendon Rogers
    • Paul Lambert
    • Slaven Bilic
    • Ian Holloway
    • Alan Stubbs
    • Davie Weir
    • Phil Neville
    • Nigel Adkins
    • Gus Poyet
    • AVB
    • Other

Didn't say he spent money well and it was more like £100m - he's still a good manager e.g getting results.

Especially against us, his lucks phenomenal against Everton the conversion rate of the strikers must be the highest in the league when ever they played us. They'd have 3 shots to our 15 and win 3-2, with dog shit footbal. When they beat us one nil at their ground sticks in my head we always battered them yet they managed a result, I wouldnt mind if they played us off the park but they werent even close to us(this is why I may be a wee bit biased against them aha). Was made up when we showed them up in the FA cup.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest blueboy122

Especially against us, his lucks phenomenal against Everton the conversion rate of the strikers must be the highest in the league when ever they played us. They'd have 3 shots to our 15 and win 3-2, with dog shit footbal. When they beat us one nil at their ground sticks in my head we always battered them yet they managed a result, I wouldnt mind if they played us off the park but they werent even close to us(this is why I may be a wee bit biased against them aha). Was made up when we showed them up in the FA cup.

Aston Villa have been robbing points off us for years!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17925203

David Moyes likely to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson - Tommy Docherty

Former Manchester United manager Tommy Docherty believes Sir Alex Ferguson will be allowed to choose his own successor and is likely to select Everton boss David Moyes.

"Fergie will make the appointment of whoever takes his place, not the directors," Docherty told BBC Sport.

"I think it will be David Moyes because they are good friends. He's done a great job at Everton with no money."

Ferguson said in February he wanted to continue for "two or three more years".

Everton's Premier League finishes under David Moyes

• 2001-02: 15th
  • 2002-03: 7th
  • 2003-04: 17th
  • 2004-05: 4th (qualified for Champions League)
  • 2005-06: 11th
  • 2006-07: 6th (qualified for Uefa Cup)
  • 2007-08: 5th (qualified for Uefa Cup)
  • 2008-09: 5th (qualified for Uefa Cup)
  • 2009-10: 8th
  • 2010-11: 7th

Docherty, who managed United between 1972 and 1977, says replacing a man who has won 12 league titles and two European Cups in 25 years at Old Trafford is "an impossible task".

But he believes Moyes, who on a shoestring budget has led Everton to four top-six finishes in 10 years, has the attributes to take on the challenge.

"If I was a gambling man I would say David Moyes," said Docherty. "He's an ex-player, but not a great player, just as Sir Alex wasn't a great player, but their records as managers are fantastic.

"Alec will probably move upstairs, but he will want a new manager who knows how the game is played, how the club should be run and keep in contact with him about what's going on."

Ferguson almost retired in 2002 but changed his mind, and Docherty believes the 70-year-old could well go on beyond the three years he mentioned in an exclusive interview with BBC Radio 5 live Sport.

"I think he will carry on managing Manchester United as long as keeps his enthusiasm and his health," said Docherty.

"If he does that that there's no reason he can't carry on for I don't know how long."

Moyes taking over from Ferguson at Old Trafford would be like George Lazenby taking over from Sean Connery as James Bond.

Ferguson can't go on forever, stubborn old bum etc, but the time will inevitably come when a successor is needed, I just don't think Moyes is appropriate for it, you can say what you like, but that's just how I feel about it right now, gave this some thought before as well and came to the same conclusion. For the last time, and I know the investment issue is all important, but I feel under Moyes, Everton Football Club will not win anything again since 1995, for any and all reasons previously stated.

It seems like Tommy Docherty is making things up, Moyes has said in the past he's not close to Ferguson and the press exaggerate extent of their relationship.

he wanted Moyes there as his no2 before Preston, so they must know each other reasonably well.

However i just can't see them coming in for Moyes, he would have to re-invent himself, the united fans would never put up with some of the dross we had to suffer earlier on in this season. He has always just stuck to the same sort of plan A(ish) with us(a huge bugbear for most of us) well united need to win games at all costs, Moyes will need plans A,B,C,D and so on to win a game for united, i just don't see it myself.

Edited by theprisoner

Moyes would be ideal for the Italian national side, I think someone mentioned it before. All that emphasis on defensive units and keeping it tight and letting a game die by asphyxiation etc, could be right up his alley, probably get a better salary than he has now and be enjoying his work at the same time, surprised they haven't made an approach by now actually.

That in itself as stated before is a clear an indication as ever that Mr Moyes is simply unsuitable for the MUFC vacancy should it ever arise, he'd have club supporters tearing their hair out or jumping into the canals with his stifling approach. His style of cautious soccer would not be too welcome at such a demanding club, at least Ferguson gets them attacking a bit etc.

Moyes would be ideal for the Italian national side, I think someone mentioned it before. All that emphasis on defensive units and keeping it tight and letting a game die by asphyxiation etc, could be right up his alley, probably get a better salary than he has now and be enjoying his work at the same time, surprised they haven't made an approach by now actually.

That in itself as stated before is a clear an indication as ever that Mr Moyes is simply unsuitable for the MUFC vacancy should it ever arise, he'd have club supporters tearing their hair out or jumping into the canals with his stifling approach. His style of cautious soccer would not be too welcome at such a demanding club, at least Ferguson gets them attacking a bit etc.

That's not strictly true in a sense that we are now more fluid going forward, nice to see so I can only assume Moyes has let the handbrake off. ( every cross has at least 4 attackers in the box) Also moving the ball about much quicker with every pass going forward with two players looking to receive it!!

he wanted Moyes there as his no2 before Preston, so they must know each other reasonably well.

However i just can't see them coming in for Moyes, he would have to re-invent himself, the united fans would never put up with some of the dross we had to suffer earlier on in this season. He has always just stuck to the same sort of plan A(ish) with us(a huge bugbear for most of us) well united need to win games at all costs, Moyes will need plans A,B,C,D and so on to win a game for united, i just don't see it myself.

Do you not think that might have something to do with the fact hes only had a squad of about 15 players ?

But having some extra players to experiment with is to anyone's advantage whatever the club involved, Yes, you can deploy different formations with enough individuals, but those extra people involved that cater for whichever capacity would surely come in useful

re Mr Jona32, we've seen a more attacking route the last few games, got some goals for our troubles, Jelavic takes a big hand in that, but that has only come to the fore in recent times, it has improved of late, seen some remarkable results, the four goals at Old Trafford was a surprise of epic proportions, we have done well in subsequent games etc, but let's not the forget the not too distant mediocrity before it and struggling to score or beat an opposition, goals were few and far between etc, I do hope we can keep our recent striking capabilities going into final fixtures

makes no difference whatsoever, you can still play with different formations, it will always still be 11 players

Im sure this is how Moyes thinks sometimes. whilst this is true, you cant exactly play an attacking 433 if out of the 11 players 7 are defenders. Everton have a small squad, mostly made up of defensive minded players (or at least, its the defensive minded players that get a nod ahead of others). As soon as one or 2 of the attacking players get injured the tactics dont change, we just put another player on who then plays out of position. This is only a variation of plan A, but down to size of team constraints. That said, Moyes has always gotten the best out of his team when the choice of players is removed for him - im not sure how he would deal with a large squad.

Im sure this is how Moyes thinks sometimes. whilst this is true, you cant exactly play an attacking 433 if out of the 11 players 7 are defenders. Everton have a small squad, mostly made up of defensive minded players (or at least, its the defensive minded players that get a nod ahead of others). As soon as one or 2 of the attacking players get injured the tactics dont change, we just put another player on who then plays out of position. This is only a variation of plan A, but down to size of team constraints. That said, Moyes has always gotten the best out of his team when the choice of players is removed for him - im not sure how he would deal with a large squad.

Yes, and who's fault is that? whenever Moyes has had money he is only interested in buying defensive players, if we had a 4-4-2 of 4 defenders, 4 midfielders and 2 strikers, the more creative CM just moves forward slightly into the hole making a 3, its about who gets brought in and we have bought a lot of defensive minded players under Moyes

Yes, and who's fault is that? whenever Moyes has had money he is only interested in buying defensive players, if we had a 4-4-2 of 4 defenders, 4 midfielders and 2 strikers, the more creative CM just moves forward slightly into the hole making a 3, its about who gets brought in and we have bought a lot of defensive minded players under Moyes

to be fair i think the balance is quite even, attacking vs defensive, on players brought in. Its just that the attacking players tend not to be played to their strengths

Don't think there's anything wrong with sticking to a formation you believe in. Moyes has shown he's capable of making a team very solid defensively, which should be any team's number one priority. Our defensive shape is spot on most of the times, our players know their jobs and do them well. We usually press pretty high up the pitch as well. The only issue I have with his defensive tactics is his tendency to protect leads by sitting back and soaking up the opponent's pressure. Unless we're at least 2 goals up we should always look to disrupt their play high up, force them into losing the ball with shitty long balls. That way we should be able to keep playing ourselves.

Going forward, I think he tries to have us play "good" football. I've criticized him for his long ball approach this season, but that was wrong of me as he's had us play good football regularly in past seasons and we're doing it now. Maybe he felt he just didn't have the right personnel to do so at the time and maybe he was right in that. Against Stoke, Cahill often ran back to offer the player in possession an option in behind and make a triangle shape doing so. It's possible that's just Cahill's intelligence or it could be because Moyes has been hammering on it. I don't know, anyway, we didn't hoof it once that game.

Yeah true, we have improved loads of late, why not from the off though?

As we can't get the players in over the summer so our seasons often begin with a 'stale' or 'negative' mentality... fresh blood brings competition, new ideas and possibly most importantly optimism. Maybe this will be the summer that we get players in and build on what we have, it's certainly done us well since January.

As we can't get the players in over the summer so our seasons often begin with a 'stale' or 'negative' mentality... fresh blood brings competition, new ideas and possibly most importantly optimism. Maybe this will be the summer that we get players in and build on what we have, it's certainly done us well since January.

Tbh that should be the managers job to stop that from happening!

I wouldnt count on too much happening or anything changing.

Its a very strange transformation and while we have certainly improved, there are still the same frailties that come to surface. The main reason we started to improve IMO was because we FINALLY got the CB pairing a lot of us have been wishing for, for the past couple of years and it shows know that Distin has been moved wide that we are shakier at the back. We are calmer, more organised and look to play football instead of going route one all the time.

Secondly the introduction of a passer in midfield has really helped. Gibson has done well, but for me Osman is the better player in that role and dont forget that Rodwell did really well earlier in the season before he got rushed back into the team and injured time and time again. Fellaini offers for the ball a lot and so does this other person who stays next to him and it means we keep possession better AND importantly can spot attacking passes quicker.

Pienaar coming back into the team has also been a big bonus. He fits into our style of play perfectly and so much better than any other winger (if you can call him that!) we have. Osman has done a job, Gueye has done really well in bits and not so well in other, and we all seem to disagree in Drenthe's impact, but Pienaar does everything we need him to do and importantly he creates space for others with his movement that the other dont do as well (bar Osman in some respects).

The big difference is actually having a striker that gets in the box and can score goals. Straq brought about improvement mid season with his work rate and desire but Jelavic has that touch of class about him. We wouldnt have scored half as many goals without him in the team, purely because of his movement and how well he takes his chances. It will be interesting to see how he does next year because not too many strikers have 'trained on' under Moyes.

The big question is do we actually play any differently now than we did earlier in the season? Which is pretty much no. The players fit the system a lot better than they did & we have certainly raised our games against some teams (mainly Man City, Chelsea & Sunderland (away FA Cup) spring to mind which were brilliant performances but on the whole, I just think we have been better at making the most of other teams mistakes because of these new players together with the increase in confidence that winning a few games has done. We still look soft if we are pressured but at least we look like we can score a goal or two ourselves!

• 1 month later...

Bump!

I'm still hoping it's Bilic, already said he's going elsewhere, but stranger thing have happened. Hopefully he hasn't signed on the dotted line for Moscow yet.

Would soften the blow, but I googled it and it does look nailed on that he's going to lokomotive

Just looking further down the list at some 'outside-the-box' managers and I woulden't mind having Sven or Roy Keane in charge of here. I think they would both do pretty well and I'd think that with a bit of persusion that they could come.

I'd be a little worried if Steve Round got the job personally.