IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

hoping for Villareal and Sevilla victories today!

"Liverpool as a club have an extraordinary squad of footballers when you consider Benteke cost 50million euros (about £39.5million - he actually cost £32.5m), which equates to the whole turnover of Villarreal as a club," Marcelino (manager of villareal) said.

Edited by markjazzbassist

Just watched the Spurs v Southampton game. In the second-half the ref called a drinks break! What was that all about, I mean, its not that hot. I remember being posted to Singapore in 1955. Arrived on Friday, played in a football match the following Wednesday. 90 minutes, 33 degrees C and 100% humidity. Standard half-time procedure was to take your shirt off and wring it out. No drinks break. At half-time there was a jerry can of lemonade (made with water and lemonade powder). Unfortunately, the ants had got in and there was about half an inch of ants floating on the top. We looked at this for a few minutes then one guy took the tin mug, dipped it in and drank- ants and all. As he didn't drop dead, we all followed him. They do have it easy these days.

Just watched the Spurs v Southampton game. In the second-half the ref called a drinks break! What was that all about, I mean, its not that hot. I remember being posted to Singapore in 1955. Arrived on Friday, played in a football match the following Wednesday. 90 minutes, 33 degrees C and 100% humidity. Standard half-time procedure was to take your shirt off and wring it out. No drinks break. At half-time there was a jerry can of lemonade (made with water and lemonade powder). Unfortunately, the ants had got in and there was about half an inch of ants floating on the top. We looked at this for a few minutes then one guy took the tin mug, dipped it in and drank- ants and all. As he didn't drop dead, we all followed him. They do have it easy these days.

Brilliant :rofl:.

The first guy to drink the ant flavoured lemonade was a guy called Dave Cindery, a Brummie. Three or four times a year I used to meet up with him and another guy, John Hoden who lived in Leicester. All ex Singapore. Dave was a real character who had minimum respect for authority. He used to get away with murder. When I first arrived in Singapore he had been out there for a month. The first time I saw him he looked like something out of a horror movie. He had the type of skin that never tanned but burned very quickly. He had been to the coast and got massively sunburned. The skin was hanging off him in long shreds all over his body. He spent three days in the military hospital and was put on a charge for 'self inflicted harm'. Sadly, he died several years ago and I continued to meet with John Hoden until he also died a few weeks ago. John was a season ticket holder at Leicester City and it was sad that he didn't live to see them win the league. I still have one Army mate who I meet up with who lives in London. It really is amazing how strong the bonds were during National Service and particularly abroad. Must finish now, had a tot of single malt and getting a bit melancholy.

West Ham fans acting like West Ham fans I see, match delayed by forty-five minutes.

Manchester United captain Wayne Rooney: "It wasn't nice. The coach got smashed up, but we're here now, so have to prepare for the game and go out and do our job”.
How ugly was it?
“I'm sure you'll see the images. That's not for me to say, but I think it was disappointing of course. We know it's a big game for West Ham, big night for them, leaving the stadium, but I'm sure West Ham as a club will be disappointed with what the fans have done."

West Ham fans acting like West Ham fans I see, match delayed by forty-five minutes.

Manchester United captain Wayne Rooney: "It wasn't nice. The coach got smashed up, but we're here now, so have to prepare for the game and go out and do our job”.
How ugly was it?
“I'm sure you'll see the images. That's not for me to say, but I think it was disappointing of course. We know it's a big game for West Ham, big night for them, leaving the stadium, but I'm sure West Ham as a club will be disappointed with what the fans have done."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36261252

But all down to ManU according to David Sullivan..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03trhc4