IGNORED

Leyton Orient

MikeO

I know Moyes doesn't usually weaken our teams significantly for the league cup but given the current situation, the opposition and a tough game on Saturday I'd like to see something like....

Mucha, Hibbo, Heitinga, Duffy, Garbutt, Barkley, Coleman, Gueye, Gibson (maybe Junior ahead of one of these), Mirallas & Vellios (or Anichebe).

Probably won't be quite that drastic though.....and I'd play Howard because 'keepers don't need a rest (and Mucha scares me).

I know Moyes doesn't usually weaken our teams significantly for the league cup but given the current situation, the opposition and a tough game on Saturday I'd like to see something like....

Mucha, Hibbo, Heitinga, Duffy, Garbutt, Barkley, Coleman, Gueye, Gibson (maybe Junior ahead of one of these), Mirallas & Vellios (or Anichebe).

Probably won't be quite that drastic though.....and I'd play Howard because 'keepers don't need a rest (and Mucha scares me).

I don't get why Mucha is still at the club, he could be earning more and starting at another club. I agree about keepers not needing a rest, but I'd like Taudal to gain some cup experience he looked good against Morecombe.

Taudal

Coleman Heitinga Duffy Garbutt

Naismith Neville Junior Miralles

Osman

Anichebe

Not a fan of Neville in mid, but he's a shouter and good organiser as is Johnny. With the 2 of them we could field a team that has less experience playing together without looking out of sorts. If the teams able to dominate and LO are not causing many problems I'd like to see Barkley, and McAleny or Vellios get some minutes.

League cup game on a Saturday? Wednesday and Thursdays Nights surely? What are they playing at? Never heard of such a thing if memory serves.

I made an error, it was reference to our game on the last saturday, not Orient opposition on a Saturday, I read it too quick. But the fact of the matter is, that Yes, for sure, Moyes has to put on a straight face for this, it's a tangible opportunity for the club to finally win something again, our League cup pedigree is atrocious, with only two final appearances since the competitions inception in 1960, really not good enough, a poor statistic, something that really needs to be rectified soon, and why not this season. We have no European objective this year, can't win any League honors, apart from a finish as high as possible, so that only leaves this and the FA cup.

Said it before, the league cup is a rather pointless trivial piece of crap trophy, many analysists and fans alike berate it and trivialize it's importance (which isn't much), but it's still a trophy. And as we have not won anything going into an 18th year, we can't really turn up our noses at any prize on offer, it still does represent an actual trophy to win. Everton have never won this competition, it's something I'd maybe like to see occur finally. All Moyes has to do is put out a strong(ish) side for the Orient game and play with an attacking mindset and that should hopefully be enough for a place in the next rounds.

We have had too many damn embarrassments against lower league opposition as far back as anyone can remember, some truly embarrassing defeats against lower league sides in cup tourneys, but I am quietly confident we can get through this. I hope Moyes realizes this is a good opportunity to finally win something again for the first time since '95 and goes about this fixture with a serious attitude.

League cup game on a Saturday? Wednesday and Thursdays Nights surely? What are they playing at? Never heard of such a thing if memory serves.

mike means we have a tough game coming up on saturday after the league cup game so he would like to see some players rested...

never mind you already noticed...not quite sure why you feel the need to commentate through your thoughts but each to their own

Edited by marcopaulo

It wasn't thoughts, it was what I actually typed, and couldn't be bothered to edit, and just carried on. I genuinely believed for a time, that we would be playing this game on a saturday, after first viewing the initial post. Just rushed a bit through the first post all said. League cup games are for midweek fixtures, anywhere else, simply isn't appropriate, but you know damn well it's only going to be a matter of time before they change that, along with everything else. European Cup Finals on a Saturday being one such example. dry.png

Edit button DK, take pride in your posts! wub.png

As for the game against Orient I hope that he starts with Mirallas to get him used to English football and open his goal account for us, I'd have him playing up front in place of Jelavic and have him just in front of Vellios who I'd think he'd work perfect with (seeing as both of them have played in Greece).

I'd like to give Taudal a go in goal but it's up to Moyes as to whether he think he's ready, I think in actual fact we'll see Tim Howard up front with a similar defence to what we've seen against Manchester United/Aston Villa.

Easy win I'm predicting too, 3-0 - maybe more. I'll be pissed off if we concede.

Edited by Zoo

I don't care if we let one in, it's merely that above all else, we really should win this, but as aware of our previous cup fixtures against lower league opposition, we can't be complacent about this game. If we had qualified for Europe last year, we would have entered at the third round, and not be involved at this stage, so it's a bit of a longer road this time, but this opposition won't be pushovers. They'll be up for it, and will see headlines in 'papers the next morning so we will have to watch this one. Remember it's only one of two trophies we can win this season, after all.

We haven't been in Europe for a few seasons now so we should be used to going in at this stage. We'll do well I'm sure and I think even with our reserves we should have enough to beat Orient, I can see the game panning out like it was against Tamworth last season, we went 2-0 up very early on and then just sat back and stopped them from doing anything, if we can be 2 goals up in the first ten minutes then I'd be happy to do the same.

As for the game against Orient I hope that he starts with Mirallas to get him used to English football and open his goal account for us, I'd have him playing up front in place of Jelavic and have him just in front of Vellios who I'd think he'd work perfect with (seeing as both of them have played in Greece).

I'm not sure Mirallas has the match fitness yet to go out and start a match. I'm hoping he's ready to go, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Vic and Vellios get the start.

^my post was a little redundant

Edited by JoeQuince

i'd love that team...maybe with vellios instead of jelavic..save him for the weekend..have him on the bench in case though

Was thinking that but I'm thinking give him first half to get a little more sharpness - Gibson needs to play every single game. He's got the Rooney fat gene that requires constant football.

Liking the look of Naismith and I think we could be in for a treat with Barkley and Mirallas - all aboard the showboat.

I'd play the Academy/Reserves and just have our bench consisting of the likes of Fellaini and Jelavic, that way if it all goes tits up after 45 minutes we can bring on the big boys to repair the damage.

Is it just me or is it strange for Moyes to be announcing some of his team early?

I'd play the Academy/Reserves and just have our bench consisting of the likes of Fellaini and Jelavic, that way if it all goes tits up after 45 minutes we can bring on the big boys to repair the damage.

Is it just me or is it strange for Moyes to be announcing some of his team early?

To get a bit of interest in and maybe boost the gate - always good to see a new player. i'll be there, looking forward to it.

I wouldn't - http://www.toffeetalk.com/index.php?/topic/24334-new-look-premier-reserve-league/&do=findComment&comment=304729

I like the comments made by Round today. Its a breath of fresh air compared to the noises we normally make at this stage of the season. They both seem to have a lot of confidence in the team which is how it should be and sound like they want to win.

While I do think we should get some youth in there, this is a competition we must have a great chance of winning or at least going far in, so we dont want to fall at the first hurdle. Top teams can stumble in these games not because they play weaker teams, but because of the mentality that goes with it. It should matter if these are a League One team, we still have to press them like we did against United & Villa and play with the same attacking intent. If we can do that we will win, even with 6 or 7 changes. If we sit back, give them space to play & dont keep our concentration, then even with the same 11 as Saturday we will struggle.

I would most like to see Mirallas & Barkley get starts. Im sure Heitinga will come in and more than likely Coleman with Vic up front. Other than that I think Felli should be rested and maybe one of Osman/Gibson as we need them fresh.

GK: Tim Howard

RB: Seamus Coleman

CB: John Heitinga

CB: Shane Duffy

LB: Jack Bidwell

DM: Darron Gibson

RM: Kevin Mirallas

CM: Marouane Fellaini

LM: Steven Naismith

AM: Ross Barkley

ST: Apostolos Vellios

Subs: Mucha, Neville, Osman, Pienaar, Jelavic

That's Zoo's XI for tomorrow - thoughts?

I have a question; What score would everyone be happy with?

The reason I'm asking this is because last year when when played Tamworth in the FA Cup and won 2-0 people were a little miffed that we didn't score more. IMO that was a good result because we scored two and then simply stopped Tamworth from doing anything but I'm just wondering if we were to defeat Leyton Orient 2-0 tomorrow would people be sparking up saying that we should have put in more?