IGNORED

Tim Cahill On Loan?

Last night the New York Red Bulls were eliminated from the playoffs (in about the most brutal way imaginable). Cahill told NY media in his post-game press conference that a move on loan back to Everton during the MLS offseason is "possible."

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2012/11/09/3513885/marquez-and-henry-considering-offseason-loan-moves

Difficult one that....certainly not going to be worth a starting place in the current squad (barring injuries). Impact sub possibly but I wouldn't want him on the bench if it impedes the development of any younger player/s.

Decent for morale I'd guess.....think I'll leave this one to the manager (but I think it's unlikely personally).

Even though he was a good player for us in his day he's past his best now, get barkley back and have him as backup I reckon he would be getting games at other teams in the premiership never mind the championship he's proved in the last couple of games he offers much more than an old phil neville with his tired legs passing sidewards barkley looks to play the ball forward, gibson has done that job quite well but if we want top 4 we need better players coming in than Cahill for 2 months or whatever it is. I understand that moyes will gradually bring the youth into the team and it has worked in the past but he should be on the bench for us imo

If I can give a bit of perspective, MLS offseason (for Red Bull New York) starts now and the season does not pick up again until late March. Legitimate friendlies don't begin until mid-February or so. Because of the long offseason, a lot of MLS players (at least, the ones good enough) will go on trial in Europe; partially to increase their profile in Europe but also largely so they can keep in shape and improve during the offseason. In Cahill's case, I'm sure it's that he loves Everton and would love to train with the team during the MLS offseason and get involved in some reserve games. And if he is picked for the bench for the main squad a few times then even better. But I don't think he'd come here with the intentions of regularly featuring in the squad.

If I can give a bit of perspective, MLS offseason (for Red Bull New York) starts now and the season does not pick up again until late March. Legitimate friendlies don't begin until mid-February or so. Because of the long offseason, a lot of MLS players (at least, the ones good enough) will go on trial in Europe; partially to increase their profile in Europe but also largely so they can keep in shape and improve during the offseason. In Cahill's case, I'm sure it's that he loves Everton and would love to train with the team during the MLS offseason and get involved in some reserve games. And if he is picked for the bench for the main squad a few times then even better. But I don't think he'd come here with the intentions of regularly featuring in the squad.

Tim Cahill is not the type of person who would be happy to come here and pick up a wage and sit on the bench or just train here. He's better than that.

Not only is he not good enough anymore (in my opinion at least) but he should take the opportunity to bloody rest for a change!

We've improved since he's been gone.....but I'd take him for a couple of months if he was happy to train with the lads, sit on the bench and only expect the last 10 mins of any game.The sort of game where we are desperate for a goal and all over the opponents.I just think he's probably got a couple of those crafty little headers left in him against tired legs.

A couple of trademark Cahill goals late in a couple of games could well mean a couple of extra places gained in the league table.

I just see him as a good last few minutes sub, plus just having him round in training wouldn't do any harm.

Edited by Blue 250

Aren't a few being a bit short sighted?

We are doing ok, but a squad with Timmy in it is better than a squad without Timmy in it, even if he never plays. No, he isn't the Timmy of old, and in a fit team, he probably won't get much of a look in, but things can change very quickly regarding fitness. Already, we've seen Anichebe carried off again, and the cold months are great for players getting injured. Even if he just 'hangs out' and trains with us, it would be good for the lads to reunite, and also good for our profile in USA and Australia. Also, it could be good for Timmy, and we at least owe him a warm welcome in thanks for his services here.

Tim Cahill is not the type of person who would be happy to come here and pick up a wage and sit on the bench or just train here. He's better than that.

Not only is he not good enough anymore (in my opinion at least) but he should take the opportunity to bloody rest for a change!

Well I certainly don't see him as the kind of guy who would join a team like Norwich or something just so he can play games, either. Of course this is my own speculation, but the way I perceived his comments is that it's either Everton or nothing.

I only posted this article because I felt it was relevant. I don't really have much of an opinion on whether Timmy should come back on loan or not. He definitely is not the same player he once was, but like someone else said, the team isn't worse off with him as an additional option for Moyes. I don't think we'd be losing out on anything big if he doesn't return either, though.

To be fair Cahill looked good supporting Jelavic. Many want Felli played deeper and this would be a no risk way to accomodate that.

Who drops out if the midfield to make that happen? Neville isn't likely to be dropped, Osman is much more suited centrally and Mirallas is tearing up trees on the right anyway.

For too long we changed our whole team to suit Cahill, I was ecstatic we'd got away from that and I'll hate to go back to finding a way to fit him in and that's how it'd be if he came back.

Who drops out if the midfield to make that happen? Neville isn't likely to be dropped, Osman is much more suited centrally and Mirallas is tearing up trees on the right anyway.

For too long we changed our whole team to suit Cahill, I was ecstatic we'd got away from that and I'll hate to go back to finding a way to fit him in and that's how it'd be if he came back.

Neville will drop out when we are full strength - Cahill may not be an auto starter but he's a match winner to throw into the mix and let's not underestimate the boost it will give the dressing room.

I'd like to think Osman, Felli and Gibson are now our 1st choice 3 in mid. We know neville will come in and give it his all but more and more mistakes are creeping in but he seems to be vital in a man.utd at home type game - Cahill is similar is this way. For me Cahill > Neville.

Neville will drop out when we are full strength - Cahill may not be an auto starter but he's a match winner to throw into the mix

Just how long had it been since he'd been a match winner or looked remotely like being a match winner for us? All he was at the end of his time with us was someone who constantly gave away stupid fouls because he'd stopped even attempting to try and win the ball aerially but instead went for the man every time.

I feel people are looking at this too gooey eyed. He's not the Cahill that will add anything to this style of play we have now. We're not as much about the physical side any more, which he was good at, that was his game. If he was good enough we wouldn't be talking about bringing him back on loan because he'd have never have been sold in the first place.

Just how long had it been since he'd been a match winner or looked remotely like being a match winner for us? All he was at the end of his time with us was someone who constantly gave away stupid fouls because he'd stopped even attempting to try and win the ball aerially but instead went for the man every time.

I feel people are looking at this too gooey eyed. He's not the Cahill that will add anything to this style of play we have now. We're not as much about the physical side any more, which he was good at, that was his game. If he was good enough we wouldn't be talking about bringing him back on loan because he'd have never have been sold in the first place.

He actually looked good again when Jelavic came - forget about him and Saha or Felli as a front 2, him and Jelavic formed a key partnership to our post January form last season.

He actually looked good again when Jelavic came - forget about him and Saha or Felli as a front 2, him and Jelavic formed a key partnership to our post January form last season.

As a team, we started scoring a lot more once Fellaini started playing higher up the pitch in Cahill's place.

http://theexecutione...ess.com/page/8/

Cahill struggled this season as the stats above show and he had the look of a player who had given everything he had to the cause and had little left in the tank. Tellingly, for the second season running our win % was greater with Cahill not in the side than it was when he was present. The limitations of his game on the ball meant dropping back into a deeper midfield slot was never going to work given that he is neither a deep lying midfield playmaker or is particularly strong in the tackle to play the role of destroyer.

When Fellaini has started in Cahill’s midfield – forward pivot role last season we scored 2.3 goals per game with the Belgian scoring or assisting 5 goals in the process in these games alone. The team’s goals per game ratio drops to just 1.1 goals when Fellaini hasn’t played there. Cahill has played this role with significantly less end product ( just 2 goals and 2 assists for the season in the league).

Edited by Steve_E