IGNORED

James McCarthy

Vinny O'Connor just said on SSN that we're wanting to sign McCarthy no matter happens with Fellaini.

I doubt that though, and reckon they're saying that to try and keep the price for McCarthy down.

Good old Vinny, makes me chuckle seeing him on TV - he used to sit on the same table as me at primary school doing football commentary. He always wanted to do it. Not many of us can say that about our jobs!

@SkySportsNews: James McCarthy is a transfer story to keep an eye on. Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has had his say on a potential Everton deal #SkyDeadlineDay

@SkySportsNews: "You're talking £14m or more. Are they a long way off? Probably £2m, but we're sticking because we've got to replace him." #SkyDeadlineDay

Dave Whelan has spoken 14 million though not for me. 12 million is about right with maybe either that including bonuses or excluding bonuses.

Edited by Bainaar

@SkySportsNews: James McCarthy is a transfer story to keep an eye on. Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has had his say on a potential Everton deal #SkyDeadlineDay

@SkySportsNews: "You're talking £14m or more. Are they a long way off? Probably £2m, but we're sticking because we've got to replace him." #SkyDeadlineDay

They need to gag Whelan today. Or, preferably, put him in a nursing home.

Dave Whelan, he loves the cameras more than our chairman, he tells less lies though.

Guest rusty747

Two week international break should allow him plenty of time to get used to his new team mates before the Chelski match. He knows quite a few already of course as they were at Wigan with him. If we can get Barry and this young centre back then we will have have quality and a reasonable strength in depth. Just need a forward who can score now.

Two week international break should allow him plenty of time to get used to his new team mates before the Chelski match. He knows quite a few already of course as they were at Wigan with him. If we can get Barry and this young centre back then we will have have quality and a reasonable strength in depth. Just need a forward who can score now.

Won't he be away during the international break?

If we pay more for McCarthy than Tottenham paid for Christian Eriksen then I give up.

You should take into account that Eriksen only had 1 year on his contract left, will be earning much more (which will make him the more expensive player, despite the transfer fee) and wouldn't have wanted to come here even if we tried.

the thing is though...the market is inflated at the moment. look at Victor having a bid of 6million for him...thats about 2-3million more than we would have got last year. i think 12million is a fair price for him, and should improve the squad.

I think it's also in part because Wigan knows how much Roberto likes McCarthy. And, at the risk of sounding overly simplistic, we're the only ones rumored to be in the bidding for him as far as I can tell. If he was worth the 13M-15M Pounds wouldn't other teams be rumored to be in on him in at least a casual manner? Why are we the only ones? Feels like they're more than content to keep him and are therefore playing their hand against Roberto's.

I think it's also in part because Wigan knows how much Roberto likes McCarthy. And, at the risk of sounding overly simplistic, we're the only ones rumored to be in the bidding for him as far as I can tell. If he was worth the 13M-15M Pounds wouldn't other teams be rumored to be in on him in at least a casual manner? Why are we the only ones? Feels like they're more than content to keep him and are therefore playing their hand against Roberto's.

Similar to Liverpool with Joe Allen. Brenda identified him as their key signing for his system. Lets just hope he's a bgetter signing than the welsh xavi.

"James McCarthy has been given the day off by Wigan but at this stage Everton have not come back with an improved offer for the midfielder.

"There are, however, now suggestions that Everton are looking at other targets. A contact in Italy, tells me they are now interested in signing David Astori from Cagliari.

"That is unconfirmed but if they do want him, they don't have an awful lot of time to pull it off. My colleague, Ian Dennis has already reported interested in Fernando, another midfielder."

"James McCarthy has been given the day off by Wigan but at this stage Everton have not come back with an improved offer for the midfielder.

"There are, however, now suggestions that Everton are looking at other targets. A contact in Italy, tells me they are now interested in signing David Astori from Cagliari.

"That is unconfirmed but if they do want him, they don't have an awful lot of time to pull it off. My colleague, Ian Dennis has already reported interested in Fernando, another midfielder."

My guess: Everton is leaking our interest in other players in an attempt to loosen Wigan's demands.