IGNORED

James McCarthy

I understand you're point, and I expected Martinez to bring in a few ex-Wigan players, but it seems as if that's all he's looked at/gone for. We have a scouting network at Everton beyond the areas of Wigan, Manchester, and Liverpool.

Maybe McCarthy was wanted by our scouts. He's one of the best young midfielders in the league outside of the top six and Wigan going down makes him an even more realistic target. Martinez already knows him closely, so he can judge more than just his play on the pitch (also is he a good worker in training, is he a good character to have in a group, etc.).

The moment the Fellaini deal goes through, McCarthy will turn blue. I thought DM told the press that his next offer would be made right after today's Chelsea game? Come on, Davie boy: stop dithering.

I mustve missed that then. Baines is now 1/3 on SkyBet to go so who knows. Maybe Davie is having palpitations at the thought of parting with 40m (which would be a reasonably respectful bid) ...

Also with united now in for Bale, probably too late anyway typical Dave, I wonder if they'll back off our lads a bit.

agree. Also think Bale is well suited for the Spanish game, any physical contact is instantly penalized plus Madrid will give him a wage to rival Spain's national budget (maybe a bad parody there, since they're skint!)

Hope he does go to Utd, means no funds for Felli and Baines

TwitterOfficial Everton @EvertonRoberto Martinez confirms there has been no further contact from Manchester United #EFC

TwitterOfficial Everton @EvertonRoberto Martinez says Everton have not made a bid for Wigan's James McCarthy #EFC

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2013/08/27/no-united-contact

Edited by Matt

Moyes put an early date on Fellaini's buy-out clause for a reason - to prevent just the scenario of a last day transfer. It looks like ManU will continue their strategy of submitting bids before games, which means not until Friday or Saturday. Indeed, this puts the squeeze on winning McCarthy. Frankly, if ManU don't complete a deal in the next day or two, we should not sell - at any price. That would be protecting the club in the spirit of the buy-out clause instituted by DM. He could have no cause to complain - but would anyway.

£15m is the touted figure, which is probably why we know that United need to cough up a combined £40m for baines and fellaini. £25m/£15m split.

On the deck I believe McCarthy to be a better asset than Fellaini, he has a better range of passing, more mobile, more disciplined, more consistent. I think he reads the game better.

What we lose is the physicality to hold off players, arial ability and the chest control.... But in all seriousness having a player with those attributes under martinez is as much use as a convertible in a monsoon. Sure we will be better armed to deal with the opposition hoofs up field but surely that doesn't warrant keeping a £25m asset for. I think we may come in with a supplemental centre mid to provide the means to:-

• Drop osman (sorry leon, you've been a great servant, but your legs have gone)
  • Cover Gibson/provide competition for places
  • allow us the adapt for physical teams

I'm not an expert on 6ft 2 midfield destroyers, but maybe Barry is being brought in to alleviate the reliance on Osman and Gibson, whilst we can go after a young physical midfielder.

£15m is the touted figure, which is probably why we know that United need to cough up a combined £40m for baines and fellaini. £25m/£15m split.

On the deck I believe McCarthy to be a better asset than Fellaini, he has a better range of passing, more mobile, more disciplined, more consistent. I think he reads the game better.

What we lose is the physicality to hold off players, arial ability and the chest control.... But in all seriousness having a player with those attributes under martinez is as much use as a convertible in a monsoon. Sure we will be better armed to deal with the opposition hoofs up field but surely that doesn't warrant keeping a £25m asset for. I think we may come in with a supplemental centre mid to provide the means to:-

• Drop osman (sorry leon, you've been a great servant, but your legs have gone)
  • Cover Gibson/provide competition for places
  • allow us the adapt for physical teams

I'm not an expert on 6ft 2 midfield destroyers, but maybe Barry is being brought in to alleviate the reliance on Osman and Gibson, whilst we can go after a young physical midfielder.

I think Fellaini offers much more than that Haf.

Just because he's tall with big hair, people forget his skills with the ball. Mccarthy is not in his league mate in my opinion.

I think Fellaini offers much more than that Haf.

Just because he's tall with big hair, people forget his skills with the ball. Mccarthy is not in his league mate in my opinion.

To be honest Av, skills with the ball is something we don't really need nor associate with Felli, sure he does the odd pirouet etc, but for me his distribution and how he is often so easily dribbled past by mobile players means we can get mccarthy in who will improve on that.

He gets dribbled past more than any other player at our club. For me anything further than a 10-15 yard pass represents a risk.

I just think that Fellaini is a Moyes player through and through, which is why instead of busting a gut to get a more rounded ball playing midfielder that we could not attract (Ozil, Thiago) he has ended up with Fellaini as his remaining realistic target.

He's a great signing for the right team, just like McCarthy will be. I do actually think McCarthy would be the better signing for the mancs.

Add Moses upfront and Alderweireld at back (if not too late), and we'd have the makings of a good young team. I'd say it's more likely, though, that we're in for Marrone.

Why are you making me dream like this? This will never happen. :crying:

I'd be happy with any combination of Moses, Holtby, McCarthy, Marrone, or Alderweireld.

Edited by TonkaRoost

Howard

Coleman Jagielka © Alderwield Baines

Mirallas Holtby McCarthy Moses

Barkley

Jelavic

Subs:

Joel

Distin

Gibson

Deulofeu

Pienaar

Osman

Kone Squad Players: Anichebe, Naismith, Oviedo, Hibbert, Stones, Alcaraz, Heitinga, Vellios

Wow! What a team and squad! We can dream lads!!

Edited by Geth

I agree. If Fellaini leaves then I think it's a given we'll sign McCarthy. Moses is available and Holtby looks like he'll be on the bench mostly this season so I'm sure a decent offer would get him. What's frustrating is that all of these players are available on the cheap (in today's market) and we still can't afford them. I'm sure we could get Moses, Holtby and Alderwield for about 25 million. Pissing me off being skint all the time.

Howard

Coleman Jagielka © Alderwield Baines

Mirallas Holtby McCarthy Moses

Barkley

Jelavic

Subs:

Joel

Distin

Gibson

Deulofeu

Pienaar

Osman

Kone Squad Players: Anichebe, Naismith, Oviedo, Hibbert, Stones, Alcaraz, Heitinga, Vellios

Wow! What a team and squad! We can dream lads!!

This would be my favorite squad in awhile. I like all these players. Just wow at all that potential. Now excuse me while I exhale and come back to reality.