IGNORED

Bolton (away)

Markboz

I still think it was a ridiculous decision - mind boggling. Take set plays out the equation (defenders and goalies can score from them) Heitinga belongs no where else on the pitch other than centre half. He took off a striker to push fellaini on and replace him with an ineffective def mid.

Heitinga may well have scored but it was a bad sub choice, and one we are so used to seeing IMO.

take the win but in all fairness we are not good enough that was a poor bolton side and we still cant seem to pass the ball on the floor, moyes tactics are on sunday league level, he in no way won us that game with that sub he brought johnny on so we didnt concede and everyone knows that.

made up for johnny could have been captain at one point but now looks like he will be gone soon

Edited by Blue4Ever

We got out of jail there. Dislike Bolton so even happier that our winner came in the last minute, serious changes are needed though as this cannot hide the cracks that we have within our team.

FT: Bolton Wanderers 1 Everton 2.

The team needs a lift.

Fingers crossed this will provide it. We're too thin on the ground.

Does anyone know how he scored? The OS isn't giving too much away. I'm just wondering why Heitinga was near the box (i.e. - header from a corner) or whether he picked the ball up 25-yards from goal and went for it.

from the BBC mate:

Substitute John Heitinga blasts Everton into the lead in injury-time. Bolton fail to clear a set-piece and the ball falls to Heitinga who fires past Andy Lonergan from 12 yards out.

My god that ten minute span where everyone bashes Moyes for putting Heitinga on for Jelavic and then the reaction to his goal should be fucking framed and put on the wall of Goodison. Classic rofl.gif

I really don't think DM's reasoning for putting on Johnny was....

"Hey Steve, get Heitinga stripped, we're going for the win!"

We got lucky.

Given the fact that he's on £70k a week and clearly is more knowledgable and adventurous than us I would go as far as saying the conversation went like this...

Round "hey gaff, can't buy a goal here, we need some energy up there - shall I get that Greek lad who you don't like cos he's dead good lookin and your Mrs and Daughter fancy him to warm up?"

Moyesy "Your right Stevie, we need more energy but we ain't gonna score, they are all over everything that we lump up to them, let's taker a striker off and put a goal threat on. What will happen is we will get a corner, they will clear it but we need someone who can hit them hard lurking around the box- it calls for one man."

Round "Scholesy plays for Man United Gaff"

Moyesy "Get Johnny Heitinga out there"

Round "inspired boss, even if it doesnt happen, we may get a draw and take them back to goodison where we can completely drain Leon Osman and Bainsey of any energy they have left"

rofl.gif

Was tongue in cheek mate.

Cant believe he swapped jonny for jela, blatantly shutting up shop happy with the draw, then Jonny scores the winner!

Unbelievable.

Either he looked to bolster the midfield, or he fancied our chances of beating them at Goodison in better conditions. Either way, he made the gamble, and it worked for us. I don't see a negative in either.

I'm still disappointed with the Heitinga sub. Even if we were winning, too often Moyes brings on a negative sub when we're winning and it bites us on the arse, Distin on for Jelavic against Fulham in the final minutes still haunts us and may cost us come the end of the season. We got lucky today, Moyes went for the draw against a team in the lower division even though it was still 11 v 11 and he had attacking options available. It Moyes adverse mentality that will stop him from ever becoming one of the greats.

He decided that since we obviously weren't up to it, getting two big guys up might help us keep possession. Also putting heitinga in allowed osman to move further forward.

Not a completely random decision and I suppose it paid off.

I agree

I dont think it was a defensive move at all and I can understand the rationale behind it, as you say it freed Ossie up and all of a sudden he started to look like a player again. It was just a case of him prefering Felli up top instead of Vellios.

I was more mystified by the decision to bring on Maggie ahead of Oviedo

We've been out all day and missed any of todays action, but above all else, it's a place in the fifth round of the biggest prize in British sports entertainment, so pleased enough. I read a report on the game very recently and some subsequent responses from our supporters, and it appeared it was another largely lacklustre performance, as with Monday, and we didn't necessarily deserve a victory and would have been pleased enough taking a replay back to Goodison Park ?

Moyes made a baffling substitution towards the end, but it turned out favorable, as the player got the winner of all things. I'll try to get through highlights tonight and see what action they provide on this, and also don't know any other outcomes of todays fifth round games, but can only concentrate on our own endeavors for today. I'll learn more about today as we go along, but as it stands tonight, in the last sixteen of the tournament, and still in a very good position in the league with every opportunity of a UEFA cup place - or more !

It's good to eradicate that defeat in a sense by Bolton in 1994 in what was a very poor season overall back then and we got some revenge today, but once again, it wasn't the best of games or Toffee performances and there was even some altercations in the stands at the end apparently ? Bottom line is, we got through, and have a place in the next rounds. Not all teams that will make it through will deserve it either, but relieved and pleased enough we made it through a difficult fixture and without need for a replay.

I really don't think DM's reasoning for putting on Johnny was....

"Hey Steve, get Heitinga stripped, we're going for the win!"

We got lucky.

I wasn't implying that this was the thinking or that it was even necessarily the right decision. I'm just pointing out the pure comedic irony of the timeline of events and how fans responded to it all.

Yes there was highlights - but blink and you'd have missed them damn it.

Incidentally, tomorrows fifth round draw will be made by ex player Kevin Ratcliffe and recent tormentor Nigel Jemson, for those unaware.

I hope the former gets us a favorable tie and we can take another step to that elusive trophy. Home game against Milton Keynes would be ideal, with all due respect to them.

I'm still disappointed with the Heitinga sub. Even if we were winning, too often Moyes brings on a negative sub when we're winning and it bites us on the arse, Distin on for Jelavic against Fulham in the final minutes still haunts us and may cost us come the end of the season. We got lucky today, Moyes went for the draw against a team in the lower division even though it was still 11 v 11 and he had attacking options available. It Moyes adverse mentality that will stop him from ever becoming one of the greats.

Coudnt agree more, much as it was an out of jail sub it doesn't mask the other problems we have had this season. But I am willing to give Moyes the benefit of the doubt, probably for too long into the future.