IGNORED

The Run In

c1982

They usually do well against the plastics at Craven Cottage and pull of a regular surprise so there's every chance they can do us a favor. I expect nothing but a loss against the other though. Early predictions have gone a bit awry, as we got a point at Tottenham, but did say 3 points today, but sticking with the loss at Arsenal as we haven't had a win since January 1996 and that's not likely to change this season. Sunderland away will be awkward also, so that's maybe Fulham up next for the three points, but of course anything can occur.

Fulham have an annoying habit of defending with their hands behind their backs which leads to them conceding silly goals (as they can't defend properly). David Moyes, Alan Hansen and Martin Keown all picked up on it on MOTD tonight.

Having said that, with the two big games coming up I can see them helping us out. COYC!

OK....so we just need eleven points to be mathematically sure of beating Liverpool (that's if they win all their last five games, so obviously less if we take something from Anfield).

Bookies now have us at about 1/6 for sixth so barring a disastrous run that should be safe.

Personally think fourth is out of reach because we'd need 14/15 points form our last six which is not realistic imo.

Fifth a long shot too unless one of Spurs, Arse or Chelsea hit the self destruct button.

Just noticed that we're only one point short of our total for last season....progresssmile.png .

OK....so we just need eleven points to be mathematically sure of beating Liverpool (that's if they win all their last five games, so obviously less if we take something from Anfield).

Bookies now have us at about 1/6 for sixth so barring a disastrous run that should be safe.

Personally think fourth is out of reach because we'd need 14/15 points form our last six which is not realistic imo.

Fifth a long shot too unless one of Spurs, Arse or Chelsea hit the self destruct button.

Just noticed that we're only one point short of our total for last season....progresssmile.png .

Other teams have to play each other too as I posted above.

Chelsea play - Sunderland (h) - Spurs(h) - Fulham (a) - Liverpool (a) - Swansea (h) - Man Utd (a) - A Villa (a) - Everton(h)
Liverpool play - W Ham (h) - Reading (a) - Chelsea (h) - Everton(h) - Newcastle(a) - Fulham(a) - QPR (h)
Arsenal play - Norwich(h) - Everton(h) - Fulham(a) - United(h) - QPR (a) - Wigan(h) - Newcastle(a)
Spurs play - Everton(h) - City(h) - Wigan(a) - Southampton(h) - Stoke(a) - Sunderland(h) - Chelsea(a)
Everton play - Spurs(a) - Chelsea(a) - QPR(h) - Arsenal(a) - Sunderland(a) - Fulham(h) - Liverpool(a) - W Ham(h)

This means that the sides we are competing against 'must' drop points. Only Arsenal will avoid playing Liverpool, Chelsea, or Spurs, but they still have to face both us and United, not to mention Fulham and Newcastle (who are great against the top teams).

So that's:

3. Arsenal - 33 - 60

4. Chelsea - 31 - 58

5. Spurs - 32 - 58

6. Everton - 33 - 56

Arsenal: Fulham (a), Manchester United (h), QPR (a), Wigan (h), Newcastle (a)

Chelsea: Fulham (a), Liverpool (a), Swansea (h), Manchester United (a), Tottenham (h), Aston Villa (a), Everton (h)

Spurs: Manchester City (h), Wigan (a), Southampton (h), Chelsea (a), Stoke (a), Sunderland (h)

Everton: Sunderland (a), Fulham (h), Liverpool (a), West Ham (h), Chelsea (a)

Who do you guys think we have the best chance of catching up with?

On paper things should stay the same however I'm hoping that the teams around us lose silly games so that we can capitalise. Chelsea have a hard run in and it will be especially difficult for them as they are still in the Europa League and I think that they will drop points against Liverpool, United and Tottenham but I have a feeling that they will beat us at Stamford Bridge (which could mean they catch us).

Hopefully Spurs lose against City, lose against Wigan as they are fighting for their lives and implode on the run in, but I think that's asking for something big.

I'd say either Spurs/Chelsea are who we will catch if anyone. Arsenal I think are too far away to be caught - especially as their run in is pretty easy (bar United).

Well, 2 draws away at Spurs and Arsenal isn't too bad, particularly as if we had lost any of the 2 it would have been season over I think. Wins against Sunderland and Fulham and we may still do it. And then we'll need to have a real go at the shite when we visit them which will be refreshing at least.

And now we have those 2 matches out of the way the run in isn't looking so daunting. Looking at the fixtures Steve posted, I'd say Chelsea have the toughest list. Spurs' is similar to ours I'd say but their end of season collapse seems to be underway (so hopefully I'm not jinxing it by saying this). Arsenal have the easier games but still potential for a couple of slip ups there. I don't think we'll finish ahead of them though. Chelsea, despite the tough run in, have a 2 point advantage over us and 2 games in hand so it looks difficult to catch them. I think the best we can hope for realistically is to overtake Spurs and finish in 5th place, but while it's possible I'm going to believe in that 4th place.

Truth be told games like tonight only make me feel more frustrated though, we missed our best chance in almost a decade to come 4th. How on earth could we go so many games without keeping a clean sheet with these players at the back for instance? Not to mention other obvious issues we've been discussing over the season that could have been addressed earlier, and also some things we can't control (ie poor refereeing performances mostly in the first few months of the season). I can only hope we'll come out stronger from this and do even better next season but it's really, really frustrating. 4th is/was there for the taking.

Edited by Fearthainn

I've just done the BBC predictor: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/predictor/default.stm

Here is my final table for the top 8:

1: Man Utd 96pts

2: Man City 82pts

3: Chelsea 73pts

4: Arsenal 72pts

5: Everton 67pts (+19 goal difference)

6: Spurs 67pts (+16 goal difference)

7: Shites 60pts

8: Swansea 48pts

My results for us were:

Win - 2-1 v Sunderland

win - 2-0 v Fulham

Draw - 2-2 v shite

win - 2-0 v West Ham

draw - 2-2 v Chelsea

In truth though i'd be surprised if we managed to win all 3 of the very winnable games i have us down to win. I can see us getting draws and with both Liverpool and Chelsea though, would love it if we could turn one of them into a win though.

I've had Spurs drop points to Man City, Wigan and Chelsea.

Fulham are in excellent home form at the moment and could if their really up for it do us a favour in either tonights game with Chelsea or Saturday's with Arsenal. (Fulham have drawn with Chelsea in their last 5 matches!)

It's going to be hard considering that they have Di Canio now and are playing us on the back of a 3-0 win against Newcastle. I just hope that we can play our football and make the home advantage count. If we stop Sessengon from running in the midfield then we'll gain a massive upper hand.

Big matches next week:

Spurs play Man City

Liverpool play Chelsea

If Fulham can beat the chavs today, it would make for quite a run in.

I think Liverpool will beat Chelsea, so we 'must' beat Sunderland. If results go our way, we 'could' be in 4th this time next week.

Big matches next week:

Spurs play Man City

Liverpool play Chelsea

If Fulham can beat the chavs today, it would make for quite a run in.

I think Liverpool will beat Chelsea, so we 'must' beat Sunderland. If results go our way, we 'could' be in 4th this time next week.

Stop giving me hope, it's the hope that kills you! major%20overreaction%20alert.gif

Too lazy to type it all up.

1: Man Utd 96pts

2: Man City 82pts -1

3: Chelsea 73pts

4: Arsenal 72pts -6 (Wig and Fulham)

5: Everton 67pts +1 (lose to the shite, win the rest)

6: Spurs 67pts -4

7: Shites 60pts +1

8: Swansea 48pts (Fulham 52)

My results for us were:

Win - 2-1 v Sunderland 4-1

win - 2-0 v Fulham 2-0

Draw - 2-2 v shite 2-3

win - 2-0 v West Ham 2-0

draw - 2-2 v Chelsea 1-0

Also Newc, QPR, and Reading to go down.