IGNORED

Martinez confirmed as new manager

Woah Lennon is really putting himself forward for the job! Why else would he say about his CL experience etc?!

I still don't think Laudrup had completely ruled himself out, the language he used could be interpreted in many different ways.

I know someone else mentioned him but I'm very surprised Bilic hasn't been touted much, by media or fans on here. I know he took on a new job last year at Partizan (was it ?!?) but you'd think the lure of the Premier League would bring him over.

As much as i don't like him, i have a horrible feeling Lennon would be a success at GP if he is chosen, but i hope it's not him. Most managers are not going to talk up interest in the job at the moment because the season hasn't finished yet. The only ones who will are the likes of Hughes and MON who are clubless. Laudrup didn't completely rule himself out which was interesting, but the cost of getting him could have a serious impact on team rebuilding.

Surprises me how Steve Round is only 28th in the betting odds list at oddschecker... Might fancy a bet there.

Position on the list isn't really relevant...some bookies have him at the same odds as Dougie Freedman, who's sixth on the list.

Leighton-Baines-of-Everto-008.jpg

A solid shape

David Moyes is a particular fan of "segmenting" his training pitch to encourage players to cover space efficiently. One format involves the playing area divided into 24 equal squares, so the defence play high up the pitch, the wide players stretch the play, and the attackers rotate position.

Another setting has the pitch divided lengthways into six narrow bands of 12 yards each – the back four must occupy the nearest four "bands" when the ball is on one flank, then the middle four when the ball is in central positions. There's also a strong importance placed upon positional responsibilities at transitions from attack to defence, with players ordered to organise themselves immediately, usually into two banks of four.

Reactive tactics

Moyes travelled to Stamford Bridge on Wednesday night to witness Chelsea's strategy ahead of Everton's trip there on the final day of the campaign. It was no surprise – it's hard to think of another Premier League manager so frequently found by television cameras in the stands, scouting upcoming opponents.

It sums up Moyes's approach – whereas other managers believe paying too much attention to the opposition affects self-belief, the Scot is a naturally reactive manager who varies his side's approach to nullify the strengths, and expose the weaknesses, of a particular opponent. Sometimes this reactivity can become negativity, and while Moyes has often frustrated big sides in the Premier League he has rarely beaten them – especially away from Goodison Park.

The value of width

The defining feature of Everton's play this season is the crossing of Leighton Baines from the left, where his partnership with Steven Pienaar is arguably the best wide combination in the Premier League. One of the key parts of Moyes's strategy is creating overloads – two-versus-one and three-versus-two situations – in wide areas. The movement of Leon Osman from a central position towards the channel often confuses opposition defences, who are reluctant to be dragged out of shape, and end up defending a stream of crosses. "We like our attackers to retain width whilst ensuring team-mates still occupy space in the middle of the field," he told the Elite Soccer magazine this year.

Ball retention in advanced positions

Compared to many other managers recently appointed at big clubs, Moyes is not overwhelmingly focused upon ball retention – Everton possess the 11th-best pass completion rate in the Premier League. However, when Everton do have possession, they keep the ball in advanced positions; 33% of their passes are played in the opposition third of the pitch – which on paper sounds entirely logical, but it's the highest percentage of any Premier League team, with Marouane Fellaini and Osman, two attacking midfielders, the most prolific passers. (The opposite would be a side like Swansea – 23% in the final third, with two defenders their most frequent passers.) Moyes's sides may not focus upon possession play, but nor are his sides ever guilty of sterile domination – he encourages positive outcomes, ie crosses and shots, at the end of attacking moves.

Switches of play

Moyes has always appreciated calm, patient midfielders who are happy knocking the ball calmly from flank to flank. Mikel Arteta was key when fielded in central midfield, and Moyes's purchase of Darron Gibson from Manchester United provided Everton with another reliable, unfussy passer in that position, which means Michael Carrick should continue to play an important role.

One of Moyes's favourite training sessions involves two small-sided teams attacking into three mini-goals, which are spread across the width of the playing area. The idea is to encourage players to attack down one side, realise the opposition are blocking the path to goal, and then play a quick lateral pass to attack from the opposite wing. The results are evident in Everton's play.

Edited by Avinalaff

Yes.

It highlights that Everton are the best in the league regarding ball retention in an attacking position, and Swansea the worst. For me, Laudrup is not the answer.

Ahh. Couldn't for the life of me figure out how it was related to a new manager til you said that!

Yes.

It highlights that Everton are the best in the league regarding ball retention in an attacking position, and Swansea the worst. For me, Laudrup is not the answer.

I think that's quite a warped interpretation of statistics. We skip the midfield a lot and go with a lot of lang balls then get the ball out wide where we'll interchange it a bit trying to get a better angle or more space for a cross. Swansea build play up a lot more gradually.

I think that's quite a warped interpretation of statistics. We skip the midfield a lot and go with a lot of lang balls then get the ball out wide where we'll interchange it a bit trying to get a better angle or more space for a cross. Swansea build play up a lot more gradually.

Maybe, but they're not my own stats. I don't agree with a lot of other comments, but the Swansea stat was interesting.

Yes.

Totally true, thats why we are above of Swansea.

Bielsa as manager sounds really good, personally i would hate watch everton games at espn/fox(my continent version) because all the argies will talk shit about the club giving all merits to bielsa instead of our strong teamwork.

Edited by 2i0

Yes.

Exactly Steve... We may occupy the ball in the opposition 3rd but we normally knock side to side without penetrating.

Swansea knock it about deeper and then attack the final 3rd with quick attacks and also on the counter.

Briliant performance from Wigan with a starting 11 that only cost £11million.

Martinez's tactics were spot on, they nullified a lot of Man City's main threats and they all worked hard. Alcaraz is such an important player for them and he was brilliant at the back. McCarthy, Maloney and McManaman worked hard and gave City big problems and Kone did such a good job of leading the line and gave Kompany torrid time.

Thoroughly deserved.

Wasnt Martinez's biggest fan but after that peformance you have to say Wow! He changed his formation to play three at the back to counter Silva etc. They went straight at City to the final whistle could you have seen Moyes do that? He would have played for extra time and then lost on penalties. McCarthy,Maloney,McCarthur all comfortable on the ball and McManaman was like an old fashioned winger who just wanted to beat his man but worked hard on defensive duties. Like i said i wasnt sure about Martinez but after the other names being bandied about i think he is the right man. Nice first trophy for Moyes, charity shield vs probable championship team

Let's not get too carried away. Martinez may well have won the cup, but winning the FA cup is not the same as being an ideal replacement as Everton manager. This season, we have seen just how good Wigan can be, but we've also seen how poor they can be too, which is the kind of inconsistency that we can't afford.

I'm not sure some fans realise just how good a manager David Moyes was. We now think we are a top team again, but it can quickly go tits up, and I think we need more from our manager than Martinez is able to give us.

I'll bet there are hundreds of applications for the job on Kenwright's desk right now.