IGNORED

Martinez confirmed as new manager

Unfortunately the reality is that our club stature and finances are such that any name can be tossed up and it wouldn't be that unreasonable, fan sentiment or not.

How about Rafa Benitez?

I hate him - of course, we all do - but he's a very good manager, is available at the end of the season and a much better target than some of the other names touted (Stubbs...really?!).

My opinion is that it's time we should be looking up, not down.

How about Rafa Benitez?

I hate him - of course, we all do - but he's a very good manager, is available at the end of the season and a much better target than some of the other names touted (Stubbs...really?!).

No. Never.

How about Rafa Benitez?

And Benitez loves the Merseyside area and would like to come back, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility guns.gif .

i know this is unrealistic but this was a piece in the mirror in 2010 by Jose Mourinho:

“Manchester United would be a great challenge for me. But Liverpool is not the club for me. I know why, but I cannot tell you.

“Tottenham, Everton... Arsenal maybe. These are all fine clubs with very good managers.

“You can dream of what happens in one, two, three or four years. Who knows? I cannot say, but I think you have an idea of what I think about.

If for some reason he didnt go to chelsea... ahh we can only dream

i know this is unrealistic but this was a piece in the mirror in 2010 by Jose Mourinho:

“Manchester United would be a great challenge for me. But Liverpool is not the club for me. I know why, but I cannot tell you.

“Tottenham, Everton... Arsenal maybe. These are all fine clubs with very good managers.

“You can dream of what happens in one, two, three or four years. Who knows? I cannot say, but I think you have an idea of what I think about.

200/1, Bill should put a mil on it and boom 200 mil transfer kitty for him happy.png

tell you what, if he wants to be the best manager of all time, winning with us would cement that. So far, hes only proved he can win with riches to splash out.

haha. i agree with both comments. i have spent all morning researching who i would want and who i wouldnt:

Want:

Vitor Pereira: Watched a lot of Porto this season. Very rigid with his team selections and formation, same team almost week in week out. Savvy in the transfer market, and knows how to deal with losing big players, which we may have to :/ Same sort of mould as Villas Boas.

Claude Puel: He's closing to getting Nice into the Champions League so I doubt he would come. European Experience.

Frank De Boer: Knows how to win.

Mourinho: :)

Dont Want:

All the names currently linked, aside from: Periera and Jupp Hecynckes

Jist found this on the BBC website

BBC Wales are told Swansea City manager Michael Laudrup will rule himself out of the Everton job in his lunchtime press conference.

For fu**'s sake.

Brendan Rodgers ruled himself out of going to Anfield too...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/18/swansea-city-brendan-rodgers-liverpool-interview

Former Everton midfielder Mickey Thomas has tipped Cardiff City manager Malky Mackay to succeed David Moyes at Goodison Park.

Moyes will take over from Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United in July.

Fellow Scotsman Mackay, who guided Cardiff to the Championship title, is among the names linked with the Everton job.

"Malky Mackay, I've been told, is a strong candidate for that job," Thomas told BBC Wales Sport.

hehehe, got mentioned on the BBC again!

Matt the Toffee: "Please not Lennon, MON, Hughes, Bruce, Curbishly, Redknapp. Show ambition please - Laudrup, Klopp, Martinez."

smile.png proud again!

I like this list from a utd fan for who he would have preferred over Moyes

I'd still have reservations about any on this list, but less so than Moyes: Klopp, Löw, Conte, De Boer, Pellegrini, Heynckes, Lucescu, Tite.

I'm sure he isnt short of money after the career he's had, but if Laudrup was offered similar wages to what Moyes had, say £70k a week, plus a decent transfer kitty from the extra tv money, surely he would be interested? If given full control of the club should he want it.

I believe at Swansea he just runs the team, not the whole club as Moyes has here, Hew Jenkins seems to be very hands on with the club.

He needs to be number one target. The fact we would have to pay compo shouldnt be a problem this year.

hehehe, got mentioned on the BBC again!

Matt the Toffee: "Please not Lennon, MON, Hughes, Bruce, Curbishly, Redknapp. Show ambition please - Laudrup, Klopp, Martinez."

smile.png proud again!

Roberto Martinez is ambition? rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

Dodges relegation year in/year out by the skin of his teeth.

If people HONESTLY believe Jurgen Klopp would go to Everton, you're fucking deluded.

Roberto Martinez is ambition? rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

Dodges relegation year in/year out by the skin of his teeth.

If people HONESTLY believe Jurgen Klopp would go to Everton, you're fucking deluded.

better than Lennon in my eyes. Clearly youre a Celtic fan (my preferred Scottish team too) so Im going to assume you have green n white tinted glasses.

Klopp is a looooooooooong shot, but we can either aim high or settle for mediocre. Id rather aim high.

agree with matt..my sister could win the league with celtic..1 or 2 good games in europe does not a great manager make...much harder to keep wigan in the prem league..somethin which i truly believe celtic would struggle to do..i don't think martinez is as good as people say however

im also not sayin Martinez is going to be a saviour, but hes the best of the bad bunch being touted

Mckay is an interesting one... I dont know much about him and his philosophy but despite a shaky start with Watford he has done well with Cardiff taking them to a LC final and now promotion to the Premier League. He did inherit a good side though who had been on the cusp of promotion in the years before he took over. I think he still has a fair bit to prove on the basis of what he has achieved to date but as I said, I dont know much about his side and the way he works.

better than Lennon in my eyes. Clearly youre a Celtic fan (my preferred Scottish team too) so Im going to assume you have green n white tinted glasses.

Klopp is a looooooooooong shot, but we can either aim high or settle for mediocre. Id rather aim high.

I thought the picture of Wanyama in my avatar might give away the fact I'm a Celtic supporter smile.png

I don't know what you mean about Green Tinted glasses.......in what respect? I spoke about Martinez being a lack of ambition for Everton as they have been turned into a team that competes in the top half of your league each year under Moyes. Martinez - decent manager no doubt, but his team notoriously do not turn up until the end of the season. They will be relegated this year and that is NOT the sign of a decent managerial appointment imo.

Whether or not he's a better manager than Lennon is your opinion, but I know who's team has been making splashes this year against the biggest and best teams in the world.

agree with matt..my sister could win the league with celtic..1 or 2 good games in europe does not a great manager make...much harder to keep wigan in the prem league..somethin which i truly believe celtic would struggle to do..i don't think martinez is as good as people say however

1 or 2 "good" games? So Lennon's Celtic team gaining their best run of away victories in European competition in some years, gaining qualification via two really good teams, gaining second place in an extremely hard group, and matching barca on their home patch then BEATING them on ours in the retuen leg, as well as back to back defeats of Spartak Moscow are "1 or 2 good games"? Very good mate.

If doing all that doesn't make a good manager, or even a "great" manager as you say, then why don't you actually look at the good Lennon has done for my team since becoming manager instead of dismissing/belittling his achievements simply because of your English media hype snobbery.

I thought the picture of Wanyama in my avatar might give away the fact I'm a Celtic supporter smile.png

I don't know what you mean about Green Tinted glasses.......in what respect? I spoke about Martinez being a lack of ambition for Everton as they have been turned into a team that competes in the top half of your league each year under Moyes. Martinez - decent manager no doubt, but his team notoriously do not turn up until the end of the season. They will be relegated this year and that is NOT the sign of a decent managerial appointment imo.

Whether or not he's a better manager than Lennon is your opinion, but I know who's team has been making splashes this year against the biggest and best teams in the world.

and yours is equally valid, and I can see where youre coming from. The reasoning behind Martinez has been debated on this forum quite a lot recently, which is why I cant be arsed going into details :)

1 or 2 "good" games? So Lennon's Celtic team gaining their best run of away victories in European competition in some years, gaining qualification via two really good teams, gaining second place in an extremely hard group, and matching barca on their home patch then BEATING them on ours in the retuen leg, as well as back to back defeats of Spartak Moscow are "1 or 2 good games"? Very good mate.

If doing all that doesn't make a good manager, or even a "great" manager as you say, then why don't you actually look at the good Lennon has done for my team since becoming manager instead of dismissing/belittling his achievements simply because of your English media hype snobbery.

possibly ignorant of me..if so i apologise..ok 1 or 2 maybe harsh..a handful of good games then ;) i'd hardly call spartak moscow one of the biggest and best teams in the world but fair enough! maybe he has done a lot for your club i don't know..i just don't see winning the spl as an achievement if you're in charge of celtic right now...hopefully for the scottish leagues sake that will change..it's become the joke it has down here because of the lack of competition..that is why it is belittled etc..rightly or wrongly i don't know? martinez has a far tougher job in keeping wigan in this league and has succeeded so far..looks like he is on his last life like but he isn't any worse than lennon

and yours is equally valid, and I can see where youre coming from. The reasoning behind Martinez has been debated on this forum quite a lot recently, which is why I cant be arsed going into details smile.png

Fair enough sir, I just recall not so long ago many Everton fans taking the piss out of Liverpool when Martinez was highly touted to go to them.

I actually tend to take a good liking to Everton and hope that they get a good man in the door at the club and keep up the good work of Moyes.

Personally, I think you'd be getting a very good manager in Lennon (for reasons I've already said - but, I certainly hope you lot don't get him). All these comments I see about his negative attitude, or his deplorable character etc is absolute nonsense. He is vilified in Scotland by certain sects because of his religious and cultural background, and the fact that he is a passinate heart-on-the-sleeve type manager gives them a good excuse to stick the knife in.

If it's a manager who will fight tooth-and-nail for your team, build for the future, show ambition and generally be a highly-respected man manager, then Lenny would suit you greatly.

possibly ignorant of me..if so i apologise..ok 1 or 2 maybe harsh..a handful of good games then wink.png i'd hardly call spartak moscow one of the biggest and best teams in the world but fair enough! maybe he has done a lot for your club i don't know..i just don't see winning the spl as an achievement if you're in charge of celtic right now...hopefully for the scottish leagues sake that will change..it's become the joke it has down here because of the lack of competition..that is why it is belittled etc..rightly or wrongly i don't know? martinez has a far tougher job in keeping wigan in this league and has succeeded so far..looks like he is on his last life like but he isn't any worse than lennon

Fair enough mate, no need to apologise.

Without sounding snippy, do you actually watch any of the SPL games? We can only beat what is put in front of us, and at least we have had teams showing more character this season and have given us very good games.

Again, we have pretty much sidetracked the league this season to have a good go at Europe, and have by and large made waves on that front again. Building up Scotland's co-efficiency points will ultimately ad to the postive future of Scottish football. Therefore we have become the fore-runners for Scotland - and to be honest, the somewhat "saviours".

Martinez isn't any worse than Lennon? With all due respect mate, Lennon has built a team that has competed in the Champions League this year on a budget of about £10m - that is fucking remarkable.

De Boer has done something similar with Ajax (who play in a better league) and has quite rightfully gained plaudits for his efforts, so why not Lennon in the eyes of English football and it's fans? Quite simply because we play in Scotland.

There's a reason why he has become a favourite to take over your club, and if SkySports are to be believed, that your club is ready to make an official approach.

I looked for a similar topic but there is no exact place to discuss just this:

Martinez - I don't want him he plays nice football but doesn't seem to learn from mistakes in terms of always fightin a relegation battle.

Neil Lennon - I wouldn't choose him I want experience or at least some sort of proven record of success.

Laudrup - He would be my first choice but why would he leave swansea for everton.

Martin O'neil - This would be fine for a few years but I want someone who can do a moyes and be here for a long term.

Gus Poyet - He would be my second choice although not sure he would leave Brighton if they come up

Edited by Memmaclub