IGNORED

Martinez V Moyes - transfers

With the signing of the Barca superstar it just strikes me that there is no way on earth Moyes would have signed this lad. I heard Moyes interview on talksport this morning saying how he wants to buy young stars and nurture them and I had to laugh. Gotta say im really impressed with Marty so far, he has Ross there aswell who im sure he cant wait to coach unlike Moyes. I think he knows who he wants and its a breath of fresh air

I think we need to see the new signings in action before we cast judgement but at the moment I'm very pro-Martinez. We've signed 4 players in 3 days and RM is building on our flaws - he's addressing the fact we have an ageing squad and is bringing in players for small fee's to change that.

Not to bash Moyes but had he still been in charge we would have signed nobody. We would only have one keeper and our main force going forward would still be Jelly.

far to early to say yet, as he had just brought in a few players he's coached before. Which end of the table we will be challenging in in three of four year time will be the real acid test, not a few hours after signing a young Barca player on a one season's loan. he's not for keeps.

I want to wait until I have seen Martinez's Lescott's, Baines, Arteta's and Pienaar's as well as his Koldrop; and Bilyletyadinovs. All managers will find the gems and duffers.

But I am happy with what's come in to the club so far, squad already look more dynamic with very little spent. I think we all know Martinez will be a bit more adventurous than Moyes, but whether that will keep us in and around the top 7 or better (which is what we have now grow accustom too) remains to be seen.

I am a Martinez fan so I hope he does have the Midas touch in the transfer market.

Dithering Dave Vs Speedy Martinez = No Contest!

It's like the Tortoise and the Hare to an extent

As Mr Paulo stated, we can't be comparing the two names. As again, no real need to mention Moyes again, as he's no longer our manager, or responsibility. That's not throwing him out with the trash, we all recognize what a fine job he did but he's taken a new job position and what he does now with Manchester United is his - and their - business.

I've never understood why managers dawdle in the summer transfer window. Surely you want new players to join the team as they train and experiment in pre-season games. To bring in new players with the season about to start seems stupid: It's putting emphasis on individuals instead of on the team as a whole. What if the style of the new player is completely at odds with the style of the team?

While I'd love to see Moses and/or Honda join, I'm guessing that most moves for the summer have now been made (no more players with no new funds). The only thing that could change that would be the departure of Fellaini and/or Baines.

Is anyone else concerned that none of the signings so far are overly confident with speaking english? (Besides Alcaraz) They seem like good signings so im not overly worried but surely it cant be too good to increase the amount on non english speaking players within the squad?

David Moyes spent a decade with this club doing some absolutely fantastic things despite spending very little money. Roberto Martinez has not so much as managed a friendly match.

Let's wait a little bit before we start comparing.

Well said. He signed 3 players from his old team that he didn't need to research on and having a good relationship with their chairman for 1, one on free (remember when naismith was signed?), and the other probably was easier because the player knowing him wanted to come. For the final signing other teams had already gone for him and going later would mean we might not get him plus people has said it was a very cheap loan deal so not much negotiating needed.

Odd comparing it really, each manager has his style. Martinez hasn't had a wheel and deal yet so we might end up with our marquee signing being signed last day of the season as Martinez tries to negotiate as much as possible.

People really like to get ahead of themselves.

Is anyone else concerned that none of the signings so far are overly confident with speaking english? (Besides Alcaraz) They seem like good signings so im not overly worried but surely it cant be too good to increase the amount on non english speaking players within the squad?

I have no concern at all. First off, the goal-keeping coach is Spanish, so that helps Robles. Second, those who speak scouse can understand English. ;) Most importantly, the team trains together every day, so communication is learned quickly on the field. Players speaking different languages is par for the course for most EPL teams.

Edited by Cornish Steve

is this seriously an argument? yes i'm excited about a couple of these players...but comparing martinez to moyes now? ridiculous....

i'm not even going to go into moyes' signings cos i don't have to

I agree , its quite pathetic really

Do people not think that just maybe the reason we've moved early in the transfer market is because there is money there without us having to sell first for once?

What with the increased TV money and the wages freed up by Neville , Moyes and Mucha leaving its freed up a fair bit of cash

Totally agree.

Not knocking Martinez yet, still have to wait and see whether the signings flop or go on to be gold.

Moyes wasn't quick, but its not like he ever had the money to spend willy nilly.

Do people not think that just maybe the reason we've moved early in the transfer market is because there is money there without us having to sell first for once?

What with the increased TV money and the wages freed up by Neville , Moyes and Mucha leaving its freed up a fair bit of cash

Totally agree.

Not knocking Martinez yet, still have to wait and see whether the signings flop or go on to be gold.

Moyes wasn't quick, but its not like he ever had the money to spend willy nilly.

Not every DM signing was gold... Three of our most expensive were average for us - Beattie, Johnson & Yakubu. They had their moments, but way overpriced for us in hindsight. As you say, time will tell.

Martinez for me seems to be right on the balance with knowing when to act fast versus over analysing and procrastinating - times when we have seen this is in the transfer market and in a game where it needs changing up before his 70th minute alarm clock goes off.

Read some stats - Moyes average sub time for 2012-2013 up to Feb 24 was... 63 subs at 73.20 mins 9 of which were considered "negative", 44% were in the last 10 minutes (SAF 21% in last 10 minutes, Martinez 30%) - of the subs SAF and RM made - 0 were considered negative in formation or defender for attacker change.

Martinez true dealings will be seen over the coming weeks, but i'm pleased about the way in which he has gone about the ones he's made.

Martinez for me seems to be right on the balance with knowing when to act fast versus over analysing and procrastinating - times when we have seen this is in the transfer market and in a game where it needs changing up before his 70th minute alarm clock goes off.

Read some stats - Moyes average sub time for 2012-2013 up to Feb 24 was... 63 subs at 73.20 mins 9 of which were considered "negative", 44% were in the last 10 minutes (SAF 21% in last 10 minutes, Martinez 30%) - of the subs SAF and RM made - 0 were considered negative in formation or defender for attacker change.

Martinez true dealings will be seen over the coming weeks, but i'm pleased about the way in which he has gone about the ones he's made.

Agreed, one of my only problems with Moyes being considered as a 'great' manager - is that he didn't change much from a positive perspective from the bench during games, in trying to really grasp 3 point in the last quater of a game.

3.5m saved from Moyes alone, with the other 2 it must be 8m saved on the wage bill. I wonder what Round was on.

I know there are new staff and signing coming in but i wouldnt be surprised if all the new peoples salaries are covered by Moyes' and Nevs salaries.

Your ex wasn't that bad, she just wanted to go to the same old boring pub with the same old faces and the same music - she didn't want to try the new place down the road. She picked you up from being a bit wayward, but ultimately turned you a bit boring. People actually forgot that you were outgoing by nature, she even tried to dress you the way she wanted you to look.

Since you got dumped you've met a new woman who seems to have a new outlook on life, she's booking holidays abroad and wants to look good when you both go out. You seem to have more in common and she's introducing you to new friends.

Plus, she's known for enjoying different positions and likes to experiment. Some of her positions are rather unusual, but they lead to a really enjoyable form of play.