IGNORED

Fulham (CoC) Away

markjazzbassist

3 matches in 1 week, I'm glad we'll have a lot of football to watch. I think this will be a big match for us, especially after the 2 wins. Craven cottage isn't the easiest away game but I have faith that well be able to pull out a win.

I'm interested to see who we will line up with, here's my best guess

Joel

Hibbert Stones Heitinga Oviedo

McCarthy Gibson

Delafeu Barkley Pienaar

Kone

3 matches in 1 week, I'm glad we'll have a lot of football to watch. I think this will be a big match for us, especially after the 2 wins. Craven cottage isn't the easiest away game but I have faith that well be able to pull out a win.

I'm interested to see who we will line up with, here's my best guess

Joel

Hibbert Stones Heitinga Oviedo

McCarthy Gibson

Delafeu Barkley Pienaar

Kone

Hibbert has had virtually no football for 18 months, i would switch Stones to fullback and bring in Alvarez, which might be OK against a non league team, but if we want to win trophies i hope he plays a full strength eleven.

Edited by Bill

Im with Bill on this , I would rather we went all out to try and win the game. If the players are tired at this early stage of the season then there is something badly wrong

I would maybe trust Robles in goal because that wont disrupt the rhythm or momentum of the team but apart from that I want to see as strong a starting XI as possible

Oh and Piennar is injured so he wont be playing

Just the one or two changes I would hope.

Robles in goal is pretty much a cert. Stones in for Jagielka and McCarthy in for the injured Osman as the forced change.

Edit - Don't know how I forgot about bringing Lukaku in for Jelavic! Not sure that will actually happen though, it may be Kone that comes in.

Edited by Romey 1878

When is this, Wednesday ?

Only to say, hope that Martinez fields a strong starting XI. All he has to do, is put out our best eleven for each round, and that way, we'll have a damn good chance as anybody to go all the way in this competition.

Fulham away is always awkward. No wins between 1966 and 2009 and I got to be fearful about this. I don't care if we've played well for the most part up until now, some things just aren't meant to be. I think it will go to extra time and then the lottery of set pieces. Wish I could be more hopeful.

Fulham 1 Everton 1 (west londoners to get through by way of PK)

When is this, Wednesday ?

Only to say, hope that Martinez fields a strong starting XI. All he has to do, is put out our best eleven for each round, and that way, we'll have a damn good chance as anybody to go all the way in this competition.

Fulham away is always awkward. No wins between 1966 and 2009 and I got to be fearful about this. I don't care if we've played well for the most part up until now, some things just aren't meant to be. I think it will go to extra time and then the lottery of set pieces. Wish I could be more hopeful.

Fulham 1 Everton 1 (west londoners to get through by way of PK)

It's Tuesday Dalziel.

No it's not it's Sunday, here wait a damn minute...

Only to add, whatever day of the week it's played on, I expect nothing less than a tough couple of hours and the venue itself is cause for concern. Say again, I don't think either side will win in normal time (if Moyes was manager he would just play 5 - 4 - 1 and hope for the best) but even with a more attacking approach with the new manager I don't think we can maybe do this on the night.

I hope to be able to participate in this game of all things if time permits itself.

I reckon we could well see a 3-4-3 trotted out against Fulham mid-week if Roberto sees it as tactically viable. Best way to give young Barkley a rest with our lack of attacking mid replacements. Personally thinking of something along these lines:

--------------------Joel--------------------
-----Stones---Jagielka---Heitinga-----
Hibbert--McCarthy--Gibson--Oviedo
-------Deulofeu---------Naismith-------
-------------------Kone-------------------

As much as a lot of people want to see a full strength team to give us the best chance of league cup success, how many times have we seen such full (or mostly full) strength teams fail to unheralded opposition in the past? (e.g. Wigan last season, Reading in 10/11, Brentford in the league cup 10/11, Birmingham City 09/10)

I have confidence in our squad depth now to give a several of the lads a mid-week rest and think the likes of Deul, Kone, Stones and Oviedo deserve another look in for this match too.

Gibson has been given extra time to get himself ready though. Not like he has only just started training again.

Training is completely different to a proper game. Starting him would be a mistake. Bring him on later in the game and build him up. We can't afford for him to come straight back in and injure himself again like happened under Moyes on a couple of occasions.

Expect more from Fulham than we got from West Ham, certainly at their place.

Apart from the deflected goal and the penalty WHU didn't really threaten, Fulham at home will.

We seem to have plenty of options, I hope too many for them.After being knocked out on Saturday, I'd start Lukaku on the bench and have Jelavic start, same with Gibson ease him back.

Work hard on the clean sheet and we should be able to score!

Training is completely different to a proper game. Starting him would be a mistake. Bring him on later in the game and build him up. We can't afford for him to come straight back in and injure himself again like happened under Moyes on a couple of occasions.

But thats the thing. Moyes gave him a week of training and chucked him in. By Martinez's comments recently I get the feeling Gibson could have played a couple of weeks ago if really necessary but he didnt want to rush him. I think we will probably see him start and play 55-60mins. Or maybe start Barry and give him the last 30.

I guess we will find out tomorrow!

Guest rusty747

The big difference between RM and Moyes for me is that I trust RM to do the right thing and have the balls to change things at the right time if plan A isn't working. For those reasons I am happy to wait for Bobby to declare the team and just support the team he chooses.

And that is a feeling I never, ever, had under Moyes.

Is this a 7-45 or 8-00 pm start tomorrow evening ? One thing I miss about the League Cup is playing games on a home and away basis in the early rounds and subsequent games not requiring replays in the event of a drawn game. It's only a matter of time before the FA cup goes the same way unfortunately.

Said before, all you can hope for, Martinez picks a strong starting XI, is aware of the clubs previous failings at the venue in question, and goes out to win. That should hopefully be enough in order to squeeze through, but I got pretty good instincts, and feel they will emerge victorious after extra time and end of game set pieces, but would liked to be proved wrong obviously.

It should be properly dark by that time, so good enough. But expected to finish around 10 pm with the advent of extra time and subsequent penalties that I envisage. Could be a late journey back for those on return to Liverpool but well worth the effort should we get the win and entrance to the later rounds. I do want to see this club win this trophy after no success since it's inception in 1960, but feel sometimes may never get to see that day. Hopefully Martinez can carry on where he left off at Wigan Athletic and put this club back on the trophy list, but expecting nothing less than a tough game tomorrow. The venue still remains a cause of concern, despite recent efforts.

But thats the thing. Moyes gave him a week of training and chucked him in. By Martinez's comments recently I get the feeling Gibson could have played a couple of weeks ago if really necessary but he didnt want to rush him. I think we will probably see him start and play 55-60mins. Or maybe start Barry and give him the last 30.

I guess we will find out tomorrow!

He probably will start, I just think it'd be a mistake.