IGNORED

Aston Villa (Home)

bluenosetoffee

I think thats the bit he is lacking in to be honest,

I know it is unfair to compare him to Coleman, but in situations where Seamus would take the full back on and either get a shot in or hit the bi line and get a dangerous cross in Stones would either turn around and pass it backwards or lump it into the box from deep when we havent got anyone in there who could get on the end of it

Apart from his positional play being a bit iffy I dont think there is too much wrong with him defensively but he offers nothing going forward. I can see him having a big future at the club but just not at RB

isnt taking in the fullback McGeadys job though?

Think Marco said it, we're spoiled with out regular FBs and because of that our expectations are inflated.

Edited by Matt

Think Marco said it, we're spoiled with out regular FBs and because of that our expectations are inflated.

Matt I honestly don't understand how you can't see he's not good enough for our system and really is a poor option. Not trying to sound like a nob but are you American?

He consistantly slowed down our attacks by playing it backwards from advanced positions. You watch the difference when Coleman come back.

I agree that, from what I have seen of him, Stones aint done bad at RB....not mind blowingly good, but certainly hasnt done a Hettinga.

Fair play, he aint as dynamic as Coleman (who lets be honest has morphed into something exceptional this season, reaching a level no one expected!) BUT Coleman was also a very questionable RB a couple of seasons ago.

I like the look of Stones. Think he's going to be a very useful player and 'big up' the youngun for filling into the very tough boots of Coleman.

Oh, and earlier on, about the crowd etc. I wasnt quite slating it, well not intending to. But on the occasions I get to visit GP...I always look forward to a cracking atmosphere. And when it doesnt happen, regardless of the result, its a let down. Its no good....anyone got any insights into this???

Matt I honestly don't understand how you can't see he's not good enough for our system and really is a poor option. Not trying to sound like a nob but are you American?

He consistantly slowed down our attacks by playing it backwards from advanced positions. You watch the difference when Coleman come back.

born and raised in Liverpool, not that being American should have anything to do with it. To be honest, that's out of order.

I'm not saying he's at the same level as Coleman, he's nowhere near that. I saw him keeping possession rather than crossing to no one or taking people on.

I honestly don't know how people can judge him on a couple of performances, when his only faults are not taking people on and not crossing the ball, but instead kept possession, offered himself for a pass, etc.

Each to their own I guess!

Edited by Matt

I agree that, from what I have seen of him, Stones aint done bad at RB....not mind blowingly good, but certainly hasnt done a Hettinga.

Fair play, he aint as dynamic as Coleman (who lets be honest has morphed into something exceptional this season, reaching a level no one expected!) BUT Coleman was also a very questionable RB a couple of seasons ago.

I like the look of Stones. Think he's going to be a very useful player and 'big up' the youngun for filling into the very tough boots of Coleman.

Oh, and earlier on, about the crowd etc. I wasnt quite slating it, well not intending to. But on the occasions I get to visit GP...I always look forward to a cracking atmosphere. And when it doesnt happen, regardless of the result, its a let down. Its no good....anyone got any insights into this???

If it's not a big game the way the team is playing is generally the vibe you'll get from the crowd.

Edited by MiguelCotto

born and raised in Liverpool, not that being American should have anything to do with it. To be honest, that's out of order.I'm not saying he's at the same level as Coleman, he's nowhere near that. I saw him keeping possession rather than crossing to no one or taking people on.I honestly don't know how people can judge him on a couple of performances, when his only faults are not taking people on and not crossing the ball, but instead kept possession, offered himself for a pass, etc.Each to their own I guess!

The entire point is he's useless attacking. Our wing backs are very important. I'm sure you'll agree. He's like a broken link in our attack very obvious from both games.

I thought he looked brilliant at centre half though!

The entire point is he's useless attacking. Our wing backs are very important. I'm sure you'll agree. He's like a broken link in our attack very obvious from both games.

I thought he looked brilliant at centre half though!

i agree with all of that, except that he was useless ;)

Let's leave it at that :)

If it's not a big game the way the team is playing is generally the vibe you'll get from the crowd.

I was there vs spurs...1st chant of 'everton' went off at 50minutes. Thats a big enough game...and thats poor. The away fans sing non stop.

Fans chanting etc straight off can influence how the home team performs....must be a real buzz being part of a team with all that noise...then the total opposite with pure silence.

Its a shame, because we have a rep for it now.

My perception of the way Martinez wants us to play is that the full backs bomb on and play high up the pitch almost like wingers ala Coleman and Baines so to answer your question I would say no it isnt exclusively McGeadys job

If we were playing a flat 4-4-2 then yeah its McGeadys job and Stones in that scenario as a FB is fine.

It is unfair to compare him to Baines and Coleman but if thast the job Martinez wants his full backs to do then I just dont think Stones is the man

I was there vs spurs...1st chant of 'everton' went off at 50minutes. Thats a big enough game...and thats poor. The away fans sing non stop.

Fans chanting etc straight off can influence how the home team performs....must be a real buzz being part of a team with all that noise...then the total opposite with pure silence.

You must be a bad omen mate lol. We were shite against spurs too! And yes it was quite but that's because we were playing poorly. However Spurs is never a "big game" at Goodison. United, Chelsea, Liverpool, more recent City. I'd say Spurs are even below Newcastle in terms of a big game for us.

I go home and away and it is the same in most of the grounds Ive been to

The away support is always more vociferous,

You must be a bad omen mate lol. We were shite against spurs too! And yes it was quite but that's because we were playing poorly. However Spurs is never a "big game" at Goodison. United, Chelsea, Liverpool, more recent City. I'd say Spurs are even below Newcastle in terms of a big game for us.

Haha....Im thinkin that too!!! Maybe my ideology is unrealistic, but to only be able to give it some for a full game against a select few seems a bit poor. Anyway, plan to fit a few more games in, we'll see how they go!

When I said big games, I meant more like the teams that will be challenging for euro places. But yeah, works either way.

I wasn't at the game today and haven't seen any highlights apart from Mirallas' stunning free kick but I just wanted to say how pleased I am that Naismith once again showed he's got an eye for goal and should be playing centrally.

The lad can finish and has the handy knack of being in the right place at the right time. No more wing time please.

Money speaks..

In relation to what?

Very random post!

I'm guessing a reference to Brett's typo...

I don't go to any of the games anymore and my two year old daughter was louder than £35,000 today. I had to tell her to be quiet so I could listen out for the crowd.

how can you sitting at home criticise the fans who are there in the pissing down rain and very cold weather,actually the atmosphere in the second half was quite good considering the conditions on the day.

Its possible because if you are able to go, you are onto a goodun. Those who cant go, maybe just feel that it should be a bit more lively. Why spend all that money to just sit still?

Im surprised to see Stones getting some stick.

He isnt a natural full back and that is obvious. Long term he isnt going to be playing that position but in the short term he has done pretty well.

All this getting to the byline and whipping crosses in is bollocks. Coleman very rarely does that anyway because unless its on Martinez wanta his full backs to recycle the ball if a chance iant on and both Baines and Coleman knock it back and start again lookong for more penetrating balls into the box like the one Stones played to Osman.

Stones doesnt have the 1v1 skills that Coleman or Baines have but neither does Hibbert or anyone else that can play RB.

Stones did well yesterday and used the ball intelligently and until we have Coleman fit again he is more than capable of holding his own in that position.

hallelujah! I'm not losing my mind :D

Please don't let this become an argument about who's better because they go the game... That will just be pathetic.

I was offended yesterday when someone told me to "be a real fan". I have a season ticket and get to as many away games as I can. I'm sure that contributes to be a real fan more than sitting behind a TV screen.

The comment was from a guy in America. I found it ironic to be honest. I wouldn't go on an MLS forum from England and tell American supporters to be real fans. It didn't sit well with me at all.