IGNORED

Same old Everton

MC11

...by the way the " star " was Trevor Francis a then British record transfer fee

Who scored only six goals in the season they won the European Cup. I'll bet you don't know the names of their three leading scorers, because they were not the fancy-shmancy expensive players of the day. They scored for the team, not for their reputations.

The leading scorers, incidentally, were Garry Birtles, Tony Woodcock, and a certain Martin O'Neill.

Guest blueboy122

Feeling deflated at the moment would be an understatement. I am gutted to be honest, we were so good the first half of the year and genuinely thought there is no side that is better than us bar maybe City.

I think the injuries have taken a massive toll on us as many on here predicted.

So deflated now with the likes of the shite racking up with wins along with spurs whilst we seem well off the pace.

To stand any chance of getting top four we can not afford to lose any more matches we must take points from every game and we may stand a chance.

Guest blueboy122

Lukaku is not the answer to our striker problems can I just point out.

I would be gutted if we spent anywhere near £15M on him. £5-£8M I maybe interested but he would still have to improve a hell of a lot.

Guest blueboy122

Its no more than I expected to be honest

All the Moyes bashers would be up in arms if we did this under him but the simple matter of the fact is your not going to get into the top four without the money to back you up

We may play the ball around the back four a bit more but fuck all else has changed and its not likely to unless we can afford to compete financially

If you cant see how far the team and club as a whole has come under Martinez then I seriously wonder what matches you have been watching.

I have absolutely no doubt that Martinez will get us in the top four just not this season maybe next season or the season after.

To adapt and play the way we have been playing successfully albeit not recently when a huge change at the football club is nothing short of exceptional.

This season was always going to be a season of evolution and change.

To be even challenging that top four considering this is his first season and with the injuries we have had I am not only talking about the past few months I am talking about the lads who haven't even played Kone and Gibson is "phenomenal"

haha this threads great...... we all said we didnt expect much in his first season and reading this thread now is making me cringe...... and as for transfer money. Sorry, the lack of, it may be there for the summer and i may end up with egg on my face but as for now, told ya kenwright is a fake.

Edited by Brett Angel

all i've heard this season is.... naismith looks decent up front and watching us sign a fat irish squad player for improvements..... you buy mediocracy you miss top four. end of...... with big names you get big ego's..... this in itself give you a far greater chance of hitting the big time cause all they know is to win and feel its there devine right to belong in the champions league, like every red shite fan and player thinks....we are just not there yet, end of

What an absolute load of fat hairy lobsided flakey smelly bollocks.

Miguel Cotto....you should be ashamed of using a legends name on any forum. What are you doin?!!!

See, a few threads ago I think it was Romey who questioned if I dont like others having an opinion. I said...of course I do, but not when the opinion is wide of reality...this is a prime example of the mingeflap material that gets right up my arse crack (or as I call it, 'Anfield').

Oi, Cotto, I asked you on another topic what your start of seasons expectations were? You didnt answer, so have another go. Be honest now.

Because at the start of the season, I remember thinkin that if we push for 5th, it would be a goodun. Finishin 6th wouldnt be a bad gig. The only thing that has surprised me so far is how much Utd have fell off.

"I will love it, just love it, if we beat them"

all i've heard this season is.... naismith looks decent up front and watching us sign a fat irish squad player for improvements..... you buy mediocracy you miss top four. end of...... with big names you get big ego's..... this in itself give you a far greater chance of hitting the big time cause all they know is to win and feel its there devine right to belong in the champions league, like every red shite fan and player thinks....we are just not there yet, end of

Kenwright and Martinez out :shaking fist:

What an absolute load of fat hairy lobsided flakey smelly bollocks.

Miguel Cotto....you should be ashamed of using a legends name on any forum. What are you doin?!!!

See, a few threads ago I think it was Romey who questioned if I dont like others having an opinion. I said...of course I do, but not when the opinion is wide of reality...this is a prime example of the mingeflap material that gets right up my arse crack (or as I call it, 'Anfield').

Oi, Cotto, I asked you on another topic what your start of seasons expectations were? You didnt answer, so have another go. Be honest now.

Because at the start of the season, I remember thinkin that if we push for 5th, it would be a goodun. Finishin 6th wouldnt be a bad gig. The only thing that has surprised me so far is how much Utd have fell off.

"I will love it, just love it, if we beat them"

To answer the question, my expectations at the start of this season did not exist. I didn't know what to expect to be honest.

However the form and play by December had me thinking a top 4 minimum was very very achievable. However the injuries hit and our squad looks paper thin once again. Top performers aren't performing and the same old Evertonians fall back on... "It's his first season, I wasn't expecting much" grow a set FFS.

If we finish 6th again it's nothing but stagnation and Moyes achieved it with players that aren't as talented!

Because, in the January window, you can get only discards, the unwanted, and the way over-priced. It would be sheer stupidity to blow money in such a way.

We don't lack strikers. We lack squad depth, which means that injuries affect us more than most. It's pie in the sky to think that Everton could bring on board a striker costing £20m+. I'd be very surprised if it happens. Just look who we do have today: Barkley, for example, is touted as a £50m player, but we didn't pay that much for him. This is reality.

Frankly, I wouldn't want a £20m+ striker. Their egos alone often ruin a team. Of far more value is a well-oiled machine of a team that plays as a unit and where the team value is greater than the sum of its parts.

"How do I get rich, Mr. Rockefeller?" The answer he gave is very relevant: "Slowly." It takes vision and persistence and an ability to overcome temporary setbacks.

Weren't you saying we should go out and spend £25m on Lukaku in the summer? Pretty sure it was you and I remember saying we wouldn't ever spend that much on one player.

A couple of games ago wasn't it the highest points total at that stage since 1986 or something? With a new manager, a new way of playing, that's pretty impressive. Injuries have decimated the squad in recent weeks, an already thin squad. Thin due to financial restraints rather than management failure I would suggest.

As mentioned by others, it's very difficult to get value in the January window and Everton are a club that just can't afford to pay over the odds. I would have thought most fans would be very happy that we're still challenging the top 4 with players just coming back from injury as well. Surely people can't expect instant champions league qualification in his first season, then get all negative when there's a slight blip. I'm still pretty new and don't want to offend anyone, but from the first couple of posts on here it reads like people were just waiting for him to fail. Personally I think he's done an amazing job, just my opinion of course.

Why.... because we were in a great position (the same as last season) and we go and blow it. What's the incentive of catching Spurs? It's 4th we want not 5th.

The incentives to finish 5th rather than 6th, are:

TV money from Europa League, gate receipts from EL, potential prize money from EL, raising the club's profile, attracting players with the promise of European football, the chance to blood some youngsters in the 'lesser' EL group games, plus do we get more money from the PL for finishing a place higher, not sure?

Having said all that, of course I would prefer 4th. But 5th is better than 6th, so there's the incentive in finishing above Spurs (and whoever else we can).

The incentives to finish 5th rather than 6th, are:

TV money from Europa League, gate receipts from EL, potential prize money from EL, raising the club's profile, attracting players with the promise of European football, the chance to blood some youngsters in the 'lesser' EL group games, plus do we get more money from the PL for finishing a place higher, not sure?

Having said all that, of course I would prefer 4th. But 5th is better than 6th, so there's the incentive in finishing above Spurs (and whoever else we can).

think last season it was close to a million a place

If we achieve Top 4 in Martinez first season it will be the biggest managerial achievement the prem league has seen IMO. The fact that we are still in the running with a new improved brand of football shows me the potential this manager has. Enjoy this transition folks.

Important reminder that. It is a transition and hopefully it will get better and better as Martinez brings more of "his style" of player in.

But how does it get better with no additional transfer funds via champions League qualification? Who's to say we will have a substantial amount of cash available in the summer?

The squad needs adding to with quality to oversee future injury problems. It's the same old scenario.

The problem we have is that our direct challenges for 4th and 5th both took 3points of us and are picking up points and starting to open a gap. It's so tight you can not afford to open 5 point gaps upon ourselves.

I think we have to go for the cup now. 4th is looking far fetched. Without 10 wins from the remaining 13. I doubt we can do it. Can't see Liverpool getting beat more than twice.

Important reminder that. It is a transition and hopefully it will get better and better as Martinez brings more of "his style" of player in.

I loved the part where martinez explained that he is introducing different things as the players progress - its like he's going through an extensive playbook. All these potential permutations of how we can play in certain situations is just way too much for me to handle - pure optimism.

But how does it get better with no additional transfer funds via champions League qualification? Who's to say we will have a substantial amount of cash available in the summer?

The squad needs adding to with quality to oversee future injury problems. It's the same old scenario.

The problem we have is that our direct challenges for 4th and 5th both took 3points of us and are picking up points and starting to open a gap. It's so tight you can not afford to open 5 point gaps upon ourselves.

I think we have to go for the cup now. 4th is looking far fetched. Without 10 wins from the remaining 13. I doubt we can do it. Can't see Liverpool getting beat more than twice.

There's no denying it will be difficult to get regular champions league qualification, there are at least 6 teams with bigger revenues. But IMO the only way to do it is to live within our means and not spend more than we have. Revenues need to be grown in all areas, but this is already underway perhaps with sponsorship deals up for renewal. Even a thing like Barkley exploding onto the world stage in Brazil could dramatically increase the profile of the club in places like China, etc, with shirt sales and possible pre-season tours in the Far East. Without a sugar daddy things like this are the only way for the club to grow IMO. A new stadium would help too, with all the associated extra revenue :)

But short term, I do think Roberto can get us top 4, if not this year then hopefully next :) Here's hoping for a great run of form! Big games coming up away to Chelsea and Newcastle. At least Newcastle haven't scored in 4 games, imagine how their fans are feeling

Edited by Ant1979

It's only a five point gap because our game was postponed.....that's what's so absurd about this whole thread. If we'd have picked up three points last night everybody would be positive; we'd have picked up two points on Chelsea & Arsenal and pulled a further two away from United and everything would be back on track, hot on the heels of Spurs.....we'd have a points total after twenty six games that we equalled only once under Moyes (04/05).

Some people are panic stricken because it got windy last night ffs.....get a grip!

Who actually wants Europa League?

I know I don't...

Assuming champions league was not an option, then yes I'd take it over nothing for the reasons mentioned in my earlier post. Are you saying if we can't finish 4th or above you'd rather finish 6th or 7th than 5th?