IGNORED

FA Cup v Gunners

Brett Angel

Was in work today and no radio either, only learned of the result in the van on the way home at 5pm, have not seen any of the goals yet. Read most of the posts here on the game, so in a nut shell were Arsenal worth the win? Did we just throw in the towel or were we smashed good and proper?

Was anyone's game until the penalty. We looked as if we could've pulled out an upset or at least a draw. But, once we had to start chasing the game late on, we had lots of holes. Too many mishaps from McCarthy, Barry and the back 4. The subs we made didn't really make much sense, and we were weaker when they happened. Really a shame that Pienaar came off injured. That kind of fucked us, I think. The score line flatters Arsenal.

Was anyone's game until the penalty. We looked as if we could've pulled out an upset or at least a draw. But, once we had to start chasing the game late on, we had lots of holes. Too many mishaps from McCarthy, Barry and the back 4. The subs we made didn't really make much sense, and we were weaker when they happened. Really a shame that Pienaar came off injured. That kind of fucked us, I think. The score line flatters Arsenal.

Thanks Joe, might try to see some highlights somewhere later. :(

Matched a pretty good Arsenal team during the first half, in fact we may have had a very slight edge.First 10 mins of the second half we were doing well, Ross missed a sitter and Arsenal got the penalty and from then on we were chasing it.Arsenal took advantage and caught us out.

I'd have loved that Ross chance to have gone in, Arsenal would have bottled it....but it wasn't to be.

We can play better than that (so can Arsenal) and we will have to to move forward from where we are now.

Martinez needs more time and some luck, he had us today matching a top 4 team for large parts of the game, even maybe out passing them again at times.......BUT! we couldn't out score them, that's what we need GOALS!.

Was in work today and no radio either, only learned of the result in the van on the way home at 5pm, have not seen any of the goals yet. Read most of the posts here on the game, so in a nut shell were Arsenal worth the win? Did we just throw in the towel or were we smashed good and proper?

The result

The result really flattered Arsenal. Even after the penalty we looked as though we could get an equaliser. We pushed too hard and left gaps at the back.

Some poor performances. Coleman was disappointing and the goalkeeper is a joke. When we were in possession Arsenal pressed hard, when Arsenal were in possession we stood off and let them play.

The subs did make sense. Osman is the only player that comes close to playing the way Pienaar does on that left hand side and as we were doing well, I gather Martinez wanted to keep it like it was. McGeady for Mirallas is again a very similar man for man straight swap. Do I agree with the changes, no not really as I would have maybe tried either Mirallas/McGeady on the left and only brought on Deulofeu but I can see what he was trying to do.

The result

The result really flattered Arsenal. Even after the penalty we looked as though we could get an equaliser. We pushed too hard and left gaps at the back.

Some poor performances. Coleman was disappointing and the goalkeeper is a joke. When we were in possession Arsenal pressed hard, when Arsenal were in possession we stood off and let them play.

Joel didnt fill me with confidence either but he made some pretty decent saves as well. His kicking in the main was actually decent (I think he fluffed 1) and whilst he did kick a couple of others out of play, they werent far off finding a player in space which is something Howard doesnt even attempt. His biggest liability was in the air. For a big fella you would expect him to come and gather aerial balls for fun but time and time again he punched them away, some being more successful than others. I used to be a decent keeper and I also went through a spell of punching all sorts of shite (mainly through being told to but my coaches who wanted to play the % game - ie if I dropped a catch it was a goal) but it creates a whole load of other problems and I soon worked out that I enjoyed the battle of coming off my line to pluck balls out of the air. Its something Howard has improved upon this year and hopefully it gets passed down to Joel.

Regarding the pressing, I do agree. When we pressed them higher up the pitch, we gave them a lot of problems and when we scored we did up the tempo a notch. I think its an important part of how we should play and we need to keep it up for longer periods of the game.

The big difference is that we have 'hard workers' but not enough truly talented players. When Arsenal scored their fourth goal 3 players stood together ' Ozil, Giroud and Rosicky' who would all walk into and strengthen Everton but we can't afford to compete with their financial power, which is the case with all the teams at the top of the EPL.. Also our subs seemed to be thrown on as a panic measure with no real thought about position or their role.

I think some people are over reacting slightly and to say our season is over is ridiculoius what exactly did you expect from our season prior to it starting? We still have a great chance of European football with a new manager system players and back room staff which for any club outside the big three or four is great going.

That must be the most flattering scoreline I've seen this season and as said up until their penalty it was a pretty even affair and in my eyes we looked the most likely to score, It just was not our day from McCarthy's ill fated slip for their first to Barkleys sitter and so on.

We played some good football and could have walked away with the win but it didn't happen and we move on and try and make our game in hand count and beat the sides we really should be beating our season is far from over.

As others have written, the final score flattered Arsenal. While Arsenal were probably the better team on the day, either team could have won. We had chances, we played well, so we can hold our heads high. We were away to Arsenal, for goodness sake; it's not as if we lost at home to Charlton.

As for the criticism of Robles, I don't understand it. He was not to blame for any of the goals, and he made some good saves. The outcome would have been no different if Howard had been in goal, so why all the sarcy comments about him? He did his job.

And as for writing off the season, you must be joking! We're still a game in hand over United, with a game against them at home. Spurs lost again today and have some other tough matches coming up. We have an excellent chance of finishing fifth, which is more than what most were predicting when the season began. It means we'll experience European football next year after quite a drought.

So why all the negativity? This is a building season, and we're exceeding expectations.

Bang on. Agree 100%.

The other plus being that all the teams we are competing with have european games...except the shite.

To those mentioning that our season is over, that's in reference to the fact we're not going to win anything. After all, isn't that what the game's all about ? If you've got no silverware by the end of campaign, then some would constitute that as an empty season.

Those on the other hand see plenty to play for by way of still being in contention for a euro place, and while favoring the former, realize the season still has a way to run before everything is finalized.

We were effectively fucked as soon as the draw was made some would argue, received one of the most difficult fixtures we could get and while the team tried at times yesterday, and the scoreline was unfair on us, under different circumstances we may just have progressed this weekend.

I hope yesterdays opposition gets comprehensively beaten by Munich in their next game and suffers an elimination themselves in the semi-finals of this FA Cup competition, as it's not a club side I got a lot of love for, and while they got a decent opportunity to end their nine year wait for a trophy of some nature, sincerely hope they end up with nothing.

Watched the game on TV and as others have said it was anyone's game up until the penalty. Silly from Barry but even the most experienced make mistakes now and again I guess. Robles is so shaky dealing with an aerial ball, but a good shot stopper and still young, so hopefully he'll improve on that area as well as his kicking. He's an adequate back up and has potential I would say.

Had Barkley scored, or Lukaku laid it off instead of trying to go for glory when we were 3 on 2 it could have been a win. Small margins when 2 attacking teams meet. Flattering scoreline for them but they did deserve the win overall. Hoping for a good run now in our next few winnable games, to get some confidence and momentum going into the 'bigger' home games that are coming up after them...

It was a good game up until the penalty. I do think though if Barry didn't make the tackle Chamberlain would have been able to square it off anyway. I'm not saying the person would have scored but there was a chance.

The scoreline flattered Arsenal but we have our chances we just needed to take them. What a chance for Barkley to make it 2-1. It would have been a different game if you got that in. Unfortunately it was a loss but concentrate on the league now and get a good finish to the season. :)

While it's still fresh in the memory and with regard to the semi-final "draw", just our fucking luck to be eliminated while the last remaining heavyweight opposition go out, and leaves a fine opportunity to win the competition - that we will no longer be involved in...

As people have said themselves, just rubs salt in the wounds, and hope that Wigan find a way past the opposition in their semi-final (I don't care what occurs with Sheffield and Hull) and may the best team win the Final event.

Wigan have showed before they are capable of beating anyone on their day and last year (FA Cup Final) was an epic surprise, and this Arsenal team is weaker than City's from this (and last) season, so with any good fortune and with enough belief, Athletic can pull off another surprise.

Still want Munich to savage them in the European Cup in a few days. - Easy to feel a little vindictive sometimes..