IGNORED

A Champions League spot is still a real possibility

Guest rusty747

Fourth is gone. What we need to do now is make sure we get at least a point v City to ensure at least sixth, then beat Hull to ensure fifth.

Exactly. This has been a great season all told and a few cockups are natural and acceptable - so long as we learn from them

I'm not so sure it's a Martinez thing rather than an Everton thing. I've learnt over this season that there will be times when it goes very wrong and as you mention it's natural and acceptable…to a point. It's more that the games where it has gone wrong have been key games that were an opportunity to really kick on and solidify our position. It happened under Moyes as well.

5th and Europe would be a great season if we can just make it over the line but we need to eradicate these mistakes as a club. If the same thing continues to happen next season then we will need to take a step back and really try to identify what the problem is and then address it if possible.

I'm not so sure it's a Martinez thing rather than an Everton thing. I've learnt over this season that there will be times when it goes very wrong and as you mention it's natural and acceptable…to a point. It's more that the games where it has gone wrong have been key games that were an opportunity to really kick on and solidify our position. It happened under Moyes as well. 5th and Europe would be a great season if we can just make it over the line but we need to eradicate these mistakes as a club. If the same thing continues to happen next season then we will need to take a step back and really try to identify what the problem is and then address it if possible.

The problem is winning mentality. Big egos, are a good thing for this. There's not many egos in our side. Mirallas and maybe Deulofeu.

The problem is winning mentality. Big egos, are a good thing for this. There's not many egos in our side. Mirallas and maybe Deulofeu.

If it's a winning mentality that is lacking then this goes back to a topic a while back that I posted regarding Liverpool and England's use of Dr. Stephen Peters and how he has turned Liverpool around.

I hear what you are saying about ego, I'd probably put Lukaku into that bracket with Mirallas and maybe Gerry but then they tend to blow hot and cold. Occasionally they can play the opposition off the park but it's rare and often they are indifferent.

As evidence by the change in winning in some of our big games Martinez obviously helps, maybe it's just another season required with RM positivity to continue to run through the squad.

I'm not so sure it's a Martinez thing rather than an Everton thing. I've learnt over this season that there will be times when it goes very wrong and as you mention it's natural and acceptable…to a point. It's more that the games where it has gone wrong have been key games that were an opportunity to really kick on and solidify our position. It happened under Moyes as well.

5th and Europe would be a great season if we can just make it over the line but we need to eradicate these mistakes as a club. If the same thing continues to happen next season then we will need to take a step back and really try to identify what the problem is and then address it if possible.

everton thing? it's an every team thing. chelsea lost some stunners, so have liverpool, man city, and arsenal. no team is perfect, so you need to expect a couple cock ups every season.

everton thing? it's an every team thing. chelsea lost some stunners, so have liverpool, man city, and arsenal. no team is perfect, so you need to expect a couple cock ups every season.

I completely expect cock ups every season, I guess I'm growing accustomed to cock ups when the games are hugely important in the grand scheme of things. The teams you mention are all above us and while having experienced said cock ups were able to counter balance those, those games which we draw but the others win. That goes back to the winning mentality that Miguel was talking about.

Was it an Everton thing when we got ourselves to a point clear of Arsenal after winning 7 on the bounce?

Some people expect us to win every game, lets be realistic, there is a reason why this league is deemed the best in the world and its due to its competitiveness. The fact we were in with a great shout of 4th after 34 games was impressive in itself.

Next season fills me with much optimism - we drew the first 3 games this season dropping 6 points against teams we dominated in possession but couldn't get the result. We then got rid of felli, got lukaku and McCarthy/Barry and things started to click.

We will have a pre season to continue RM's teachings and drills - new players identified to help us further with this. The likes of Mirallas who I expect to see improve his consistency, Gerry & Ross with decision making.

Fourth is gone. What we need to do now is make sure we get at least a point v City to ensure at least sixth, then beat Hull to ensure fifth.

It seems that City have now failed the FFP test and will be facing penalties. While unlikely, they could yet be barred from playing next season in the CL, which means the fifth-placed team would replace them. This season has been so full of twists and turns, anything is possible.

Next season fills me with much optimism - we drew the first 3 games this season dropping 6 points against teams we dominated in possession but couldn't get the result. We then got rid of felli, got lukaku and McCarthy/Barry and things started to click.

We will have a pre season to continue RM's teachings and drills - new players identified to help us further with this. The likes of Mirallas who I expect to see improve his consistency, Gerry & Ross with decision making.

My optimism will only come when I see the squad at the very beginning of the season. 3 good loan players from this season may not be on our books this next. That's 3 positions that potentially will be needed to be covered. On top of other areas that need covering.

Other clubs will throw money at it again whilst we'll possibly be able to afford one Half decent striker then penny push and borrow for the rest.

Sooner or later this financial gap is going to hit us.

My optimism will only come when I see the squad at the very beginning of the season. 3 good loan players from this season may not be on our books this next. That's 3 positions that potentially will be needed to be covered. On top of other areas that need covering.

Other clubs will throw money at it again whilst we'll possibly be able to afford one Half decent striker then penny push and borrow for the rest.

I agree in principle, though I am still optimistic because of the new mentality at the club plus the encouraging news from the financial statement.

So does that stop us loaning any more players in the future? Maybe Roberto can now pick three or more new players that could be even better? It does my head in when the media says we could lose our loan players. Guess what? That's the beauty of the loan system! Teams like PSG, Chelsea etc stockpile players. With the likes of Monaco doing the same they wont care about a million here and there to sign them they want to see them progress and come back better players. What would you rather, Us buying Bileydeninov for £11 mill and seeling him for half that or less or loaning a player getting good usage out of him then getting a different player for next year? Or is that just me?

So does that stop us loaning any more players in the future? Maybe Roberto can now pick three or more new players that could be even better? It does my head in when the media says we could lose our loan players. Guess what? That's the beauty of the loan system! Teams like PSG, Chelsea etc stockpile players. With the likes of Monaco doing the same they wont care about a million here and there to sign them they want to see them progress and come back better players. What would you rather, Us buying Bileydeninov for £11 mill and seeling him for half that or less or loaning a player getting good usage out of him then getting a different player for next year? Or is that just me?

If he can get the same quality on loan next season. Fine. I just don't think he will.

Guest blueboy122

I haven't been overly impressed with any of the loan signings to be honest.

Don't get me wrong all have had an influence and have had some good games but none of them have left me feeling we have got to sign them permanently or our team wouldn't be the same without.

If James McCarthy was a loan signing I would be screaming for us to sign him as he is now a very important player for us and I just don't have that feeling with the others

Guest blueboy122

If he can get the same quality on loan next season. Fine. I just don't think he will.

If we can get Colback on a free I think he would be improvement on Barry more mobility etc.

Gerard D hasn't had much impact and I fully expect mcgeady to be starting games next season after a full preseason.

Lukaku just hasn't got it for me and I fully believe that Kone would have scored the goals Lukaku has. My opinion Romey before you start spouting ha.

If we can get Colback on a free I think he would be improvement on Barry more mobility etc.

Gerard D hasn't had much impact and I fully expect mcgeady to be starting games next season after a full preseason.

Lukaku just hasn't got it for me and I fully believe that Kone would have scored the goals Lukaku has. My opinion Romey before you start spouting ha.

Disagree on Colback. Step backwards for me.

Deulofeu has done ok.

Lukaku I'm not completely convinced by but I'd like him on a permanent.

Edited by MiguelCotto