IGNORED

A Champions League spot is still a real possibility

Right, it looked like you were saying "good lord" to both of our comments. All good. I'll be happy with a few more midweek games to watch :)

So is 6th place Europa then :violent::P?

Unfortunate about Peanuts. Down two wingers, Two CB's, Barry for the Man City game. It's like that winter spell where we struggled with fitness all over again.

I think you are underestimating how important it is to have a squad that plays together all the time, like most of the teams that compete in the Europa do. We stress how important it is to have a constant CB pair, now imagine having 8-9 new players playing. Look at what happened to us against Fulham in the League Cup. Couple changes can unsettle a squad.

Having said that, I don't know what the answer is. We don't have enough squad depth for a solid Europa run, but that can change over the summer :)

I agree that the best squads are the ones that have a familiar set of starters and bench players, but I'm worried that Europa won't give us the funds(in the first year) to truly build the squad depth we need to compete on both fronts.

I guess my main worry is that the consistent first team players might suffer in the league from fatigue or pick up an injury in a EL match, which is very likely to happen. If our league form suffers and we drop back to seventh, then we won't be in European competition at all. A club like Everton should always be in European competition, so there's my reasoning on why we should concentrate on the league. Hopefully, the additional revenue from Europa (although miniscule in comparison to CL) through time will help us add an additional 2-3 players each year. I definitely see where you are coming from though.

I guess we could just win it every year to ensure that we are always competing in it -- I really think we could win it.

That said, we're going to qualify for Champion's League, so this is all pointless anyway. :guns:

Edited by TonkaRoost

I'm not saying I would advocate this, but it is entirely possible to play U21's and subs in the Europa and therefore cause no strain to the squad in terms of the extra games. Just throwing it out there to counter people using that argument as a worry. Personally though I'd rather have a real go at winning the thing, a European trophy would be great :)

Having said that I'm still hoping for 3 wins to end the season and arsenal to drop points...

I think it'd totally disrespect the paying fans if we qualify and then just play the kids. I'll be paying a full price to see the full team, not the U21's. If I wanted to watch them play I'd go and watch the U21's.

I agree. As I said I would want to go all out to win. But on other threads people have said they would rather finish 8th than 5th because of the strains on the squad, so just playing devil's advocate really by using an extreme example

Just wish we had a season were the team was backed. Good and solid. No player sales just a load of hard cash thrown at it. That way we could compete in either of the European competitions without any worry.

Edited by MiguelCotto

I think it'd totally disrespect the paying fans if we qualify and then just play the kids. I'll be paying a full price to see the full team, not the U21's. If I wanted to watch them play I'd go and watch the U21's.

Shit Ive just realised I have forgotten to withdraw from the auto cup scheme for the League Cup next season

Lol I withdrew from it years ago and I'm still suckered into getting a ticket anyway.

Ha ha I know the feeling, every season I keep promising myself that Im not going to go to anymore League Cup games then find myself trundling back from shitty midweek aways at the likes of Leeds or Fulham after another capitulation.

Defo not going to any aways in the League Cup next year, unless its Wembley!

please tell me you're jokin?

It was a serious question, and I found the answer at this website.

There are three places in the UEFA Europa League available: the FA Cup winners will enter at the Group Stage; the fifth place team in the Barclays Premier League will enter at the Play-Off stage; and the Football League Cup winners will enter at the Q3 stage.

In the event the FA Cup winners are qualified for the UEFA Champions League the FA Cup runners-up will qualify, but in the place reserved for the lowest ranking Barclays Premier League representative. The place with direct access to the Group Stage will be given to the club that finishes in the highest position in the Barclays Premier League of the clubs qualifying for the UEFA Europa League.

English winners of the UEFA Europa League will enter at the Group Stage, gaining an extra domestic place only if they fail to qualify through other means for the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League. If the holders of the UEFA Europa League have already qualified for Europe, no extra domestic place will be gained.

Should the FA Cup winners, runners-up (if applicable) and the Football League Cup winners already have qualified for Europe, their place goes to the next best placed clubs in the Premier League.

So, in other words, here's what happens if Arsenal finish fourth in the league, Everton finishes fifth in the league. If Arsenal win the FA Cup, we qualify immediately for the group stage of the Europa League. If Hull win the FA Cup, then we qualify for the playoff stage of the Europa League.

There are three places in the UEFA Europa League available: the FA Cup winners will enter at the Group Stage; the fifth place team in the Barclays Premier League will enter at the Play-Off stage; and the Football League Cup winners will enter at the Q3 stage.

In the event the FA Cup winners are qualified for the UEFA Champions League the FA Cup runners-up will qualify, but in the place reserved for the lowest ranking Barclays Premier League representative. The place with direct access to the Group Stage will be given to the club that finishes in the highest position in the Barclays Premier League of the clubs qualifying for the UEFA Europa League.

English winners of the UEFA Europa League will enter at the Group Stage, gaining an extra domestic place only if they fail to qualify through other means for the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League. If the holders of the UEFA Europa League have already qualified for Europe, no extra domestic place will be gained.

Should the FA Cup winners, runners-up (if applicable) and the Football League Cup winners already have qualified for Europe, their place goes to the next best placed clubs in the Premier League.

So, in other words, here's what happens if Arsenal finish fourth in the league, Everton finishes fifth in the league. If Arsenal win the FA Cup, we qualify immediately for the group stage of the Europa League. If Hull win the FA Cup, then we qualify for the playoff stage of the Europa League.

you'll probably find this answer scattered all over the forum too...everyone asks every year the same question

I am hit and miss about the Europa league at the moment. When Moyes was in charge we dreamed only about the Europa league. Now when Martinez is in charge we are wanting more. Maybe it is me getting to greedy to soon but I just hope that if we play in the Europa league we don't drop our performance in the league. Swansea, Newcastle and Spurs have all struggled. Playing games on a Thursday and then a Saturday/Sunday can be quite demanding at times. Liverpool were offered Europa league this season but they turned it down so they could concentrate on the league. Look what that has done for them this year.

What if Chelsea win the CL. Is 5th a CL spot too?

Im not trying to be an arse here, weve only talked about the clarification of the Europa League from what Ive seen...

What if Chelsea win the CL. Is 5th a CL spot too?

Im not trying to be an arse here, weve only talked about the clarification of the Europa League from what Ive seen...

No. However...if United had won, it would have opened up another Europa League spot. From that same website...

The top four teams in the Barclays Premier League qualify for the UEFA Champions League.

English winners of the UEFA Champions League finishing outside the top four places (but who qualify for the UEFA Europa League through their domestic Barclays Premier League position) go forward as Winners to the group stage along with domestic champions, runners-up and third place.

No extra domestic place can be gained by winning the UEFA Champions League, therefore the team finishing fourth drops to the UEFA Europa League.

English winners of the UEFA Champions League who do not qualify through their domestic position go forward as Winners to the group stage, with the team finishing fourth dropping to the UEFA Europa League. In this case, the national association of the title-holder is entitled to one additional place in the UEFA Europa League.

Edited by Cornish Steve

Not giving up yet.

However, if arsenal beat newcastle, or even get a point, then I will call it a day on this one for this season.

We've done well though. I think we can at least finish 5th, which is an exceptional first season for RM.

He has some big decisions to make pre-season. The biggest is around Lukaku. If its not him as our main striker, then who will it be?

Not giving up yet.

However, if arsenal beat newcastle, or even get a point, then I will call it a day on this one for this season.

We've done well though. I think we can at least finish 5th, which is an exceptional first season for RM.

He has some big decisions to make pre-season. The biggest is around Lukaku. If its not him as our main striker, then who will it be?

We wont be able to afford Bony so I expect somebody from abroad.