IGNORED

A Champions League spot is still a real possibility

They are rare but the 3 teams who qualified for the champions league had those 20+ strikers. If you've got one of them in your teams You're going to be there or there about. If we had one this season. We'd be comfortably in the top 4 now. Lukaku is not a 20 goal a season striker.

We need to spend big up front and wisely. Either two £10-£15m strikers or one £25m striker.

Missing the point a little. We are 'there or there about' and don't have one of those guys. The same 3 or 4 players come in year after year. And having a 20+ goalscorer does not get you CL footy...Liverpool had one last year. 7th. So really, only 2 or 3 top four teams have a 20+ goalscorer. With 2/3 games left, so far only one team has 20+ goal striker.

More and more, goals are spread through the team with this 4-2-3-1 type play. Those 3 mids become more important than the lone striker.

My main point is that focusing to much on this 20 goal a season player is a bit flawed. Say we could spend 20 mill on one player...look at those players who actually get 20 plus a season: Rooney (30mill), Suarez (23mill), Aguero (35mill), Van Persie (24mill). The fee plus their wages takes them well away from our budget. We need to find a Bony (12mill), Benteke (7mill), Rodriguez (7mill).

Can we really blow just about all of our budget on one player? Knowing it would be a total gamble? Especially with the extra demands of Europe coming up (!!!)...better to spread it across the squad???

They are rare but the 3 teams who qualified for the champions league had those 20+ strikers. If you've got one of them in your teams You're going to be there or there about. If we had one this season. We'd be comfortably in the top 4 now. Lukaku is not a 20 goal a season striker.

We need to spend big up front and wisely. Either two £10-£15m strikers or one £25m striker.

I dont know about that. If you gave him a full season and he stayed fit I think he would exceed 20 league goals, and lets not forget his age either.

I mean I'm not arguing really... because I wont be happy if we spent more than £10 million on him if RM did decide to purchase him.

As for a £25m striker, who would go to Everton whose already proven and isnt already getting CL football?

So the shite have lost to Chelsea and City are on to beat palace.

If Arsenal lose tomorrow to keep us in contention, would you rather we beat City next week and Liverpool win the league, or lose and City win it?

Not a nice question but be honest here!

We've had this.

Each and every time...Everton for me. Whoever wins the league deserves it.

Guest Nikica

It was a valiant effort, but it's just been a step too far at the end of the season. Think the Palace game was the kicker tbh. You can still secure EL football and seek solace in the fact that your football this season has shown real signs of progress.

You'd imagine Arsenal will win at least two of their last four. I hope they don't, but just being realistic.

My first post ever. Toffee fan in US for 10 years, but only getting to see lots of our games this season, now that NBCSN has the EPL contract in US.

Appears to me that the most logical, but long, long-shot, CL scenario would be for Arsenal to be tied by Newcastle, then lose away to desperate Norwich City, while Toffees win final two games. Not counting on it.

This highly optimistic scenario, unfortunately, is now balanced (?) by a pessimistic Europa League scenario. Both Spurs and ManU have much easier run-in, so wouldn't surprise for them to reach 72 and 69. If injury-plagued Toffees falter, they could end at 69, and would lose out to ManU on goal difference. Obviously finishing 5th would be disappointing, but finishing 7th ......

Hope to win last 2, would be thrilled to secure 5th with one win, and, frankly, would also take 1 more point to get 6th.

My first post ever. Toffee fan in US for 10 years, but only getting to see lots of our games this season, now that NBCSN has the EPL contract in US.

Appears to me that the most logical, but long, long-shot, CL scenario would be for Arsenal to be tied by Newcastle, then lose away to desperate Norwich City, while Toffees win final two games. Not counting on it.

This highly optimistic scenario, unfortunately, is now balanced (?) by a pessimistic Europa League scenario. Both Spurs and ManU have much easier run-in, so wouldn't surprise for them to reach 72 and 69. If injury-plagued Toffees falter, they could end at 69, and would lose out to ManU on goal difference. Obviously finishing 5th would be disappointing, but finishing 7th ......

Hope to win last 2, would be thrilled to secure 5th with one win, and, frankly, would also take 1 more point to get 6th.

Welcome to TT!

Out of interest what made you want to support Everton?

IMO I'd be more than happy int he Europa League this season, I'd love to make the CL, but at the start of the season I was more than happy for us to finish in the top 8 or 9, so anything else was a bonus!

Its always nice to have a few foreign supporters on here so welcome man.

Coming round to that way of thinking myself the way injuries/tiredness are mounting.....although I'd love to see us pull out one final big performance next Saturday. Even if we lose v City, a point at Hull shouldn't be beyond us as they're pretty much safe and will be thinking about the cup final. Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to TT!

Out of interest what made you want to support Everton?

IMO I'd be more than happy int he Europa League this season, I'd love to make the CL, but at the start of the season I was more than happy for us to finish in the top 8 or 9, so anything else was a bonus!

Its always nice to have a few foreign supporters on here so welcome man.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm sort of a hermit, live in an isolated mountain cabin (but with a satellite dish!!), so really have little contact with anyone to talk football, much less Everton.

I'm now a full-on Toffee fanatic, but it came about totally by serendipity. Back in 1990s, I taught several English footballers in a US university. One was a Wigan lad and lifelong Toffee fanatic. As I gradually discovered the beautiful game, and came to see it as the world's passion, I had TV access to CL games and a few EPL games, and caught a (very, very) few Everton games. Came to appreciate that the club and its supporters might be a little different, and admirable. Just lucked into supporting a wonderful, interesting club.

Liked Moyes, still do, but when he hedged on renewing his contract a year ago, I began to think about who I'd like to see as a future replacement. And I had been very impressed with Martinez - his spirit as well as his analysis - during his commentary for ESPN during 2010 WC. So I was thrilled with his appointment, and obviously with the miracle additions on the last day of the transfer window.

Though I don't subscribe to Andy Gray's most, uh, infamous views, I was charmed by his comment that "footballers are dead stupid." Where football is concerned, we're all dead stupid.

I'm also a "Fawlty Towers" nutter. Hope that's acceptable.

Me too, but, as you say, we only need to win one to be guaranteed fifth place. And I'm not giving up yet on fourth: It's not over 'til it's over.

Edited by Cornish Steve

Guest Nikica

Really don't want Europa League at all.To me, it's a worthless competition that'll have us trotting around Europe on Thursday evenings for little or no gain.

I reckon as we are close to being a real top 4 contender much better to concentrate on the PL solely next year. With RM at the helm we'll be an attractive proposition for players who can hopefully get us over the edge and into the top 4 and into Europe proper.

Europe takes it's toll unless you have a massive squad and that's something we can't afford on the TV money from the Europa League. The result is we burn out our squad, (who look tired without European football, this season) and finish down the pecking order next season.

No coincidence that RS look strong this year after avoiding European football this season. Bet they don't come within 10 points of winning the league next season with CL football.

So, if Arsenal beat Newcastle, I'm happy to finish outside of European places altogether and hope City go on to win the league ahead of the RS.

Even if that's your view on EL, don't forget that next season's winners are given an automatic CL place for the following season. So that should increase its credibility and make it worth competing in.

Looking at remaining fixtures, this isn't over.... We have the potential to finish on 75 points. So lets just say we need to win both remaining games...

Key Games:-

Tonight: Arsenal vs Newcastle. If Arsenal win then they have the potential to get as much as 79 or as little as 73. Prediction... according to form Newcastle are in for a beating but stranger things have happened. Lets say Newcastle grab a point. Arsenal are on 71 points - 2 ahead of us on level goal difference.

Arsenal v West Brom: - West Brom need to get 38 points to guarantee survival, they need 2 points from 3 games but have Sunderland who they will not fancy and Stoke remaing. They will fight for a point big time.... lets say WBA grab a point. Arsenal are on 72 points - if we beat city we will be on level points with better goal difference going in to the last game.

Norwich v Arsenal:- For Norwich to be in with a chance on last day, they need to beat Chelsea. If they beat Chelsea then expect Arsenal to have a horrible last game of the season. Anything other than an Arsenal win plus better GD would see us get 4th...

In short we need Newcastle to do something tonight... if they do we will be in with a chance of 4th, those last two games for Arsnal are big testers.... heres hoping eh.

To simplify this.

One more point we are guaranteed 6th place.

United can only get 69 points, we are on 69 points. But they are only one goal behind us on GD. One more point puts on 70, out of United's reach.

Three more points we should get 5th.

Spurs can get a max of 72. Three points would put on on 72 with a current GD of +21 against Spurs +3. So they need an 18 goal swing and to win their last two games if we win of City or Hull.

Personally I think 4th place is gone, but...

We need Arsenal to start dropping points fast, and we need our depleted squad to get over what just happened on Saturday.

Edited by StevO

To simplify this.

One more point we are guaranteed 6th place.

United can only get 69 points, we are on 69 points. But they are only one goal behind us on GD. One more point puts on 70, out of United's reach.

Three more points we should get 5th.

Spurs can get a max of 72. Three points would put on on 72 with a current GD of +21 against Spurs +3. So they need an 18 goal swing and to win their last two games if we win of City or Hull.

Personally I think 4th place is gone, but...

We need Arsenal to start dropping points fast, and we need our depleted squad to get over what just happened on Saturday.

The way I see it is 4th is the target, I don't look behind and think "can we stay ahead of Spurs/Man United" - if we finish 7th then all I think is "that we never got 4th", if we finish 5th I will think "we never got 4th".

Finshing 5th is like getting 5 numbers on the lottery - you just wish you had the other number. Such is the clear difference in how it will affect us.

We will beat Hull, no doubt about it. 6 days before the FA Cup final - as long as they get a point from Villa or United then we will be facing a reserve side.

That Palace game falls on Martinez shoulders for me. He played, mcgeady, Mirallas and Deulofeu in the same team. That selection spells out counter attack. But Palace were always coming here to park the bus. Wrong team selection wrong tactics. I maintain Martinez has a knack of getting things very wrong on the "odd" occasion

Guest rusty747

Where we finish is still of great concern. We must qualify for Europe next season to attract the sort of players in the transfer window that will improve us, rather than just increase the numbers. Next season is very important and will be much more challenging than this season. There is now a level of expectation and we have to hit the ground running.

Personally, I retain great faith in Roberto and I think we will see further improvement next year.

Nil Satis

Sin Miedo