IGNORED

A Champions League spot is still a real possibility

Guest blueboy122

I honestly don't think fourth was ever a realistic target , we need to ensure we finish ahead of United and Spurs anything else is a bonus

Are you mad?

We have been top four for practically the whole season bar a few months in between.

We are one point away could have gone two points clear if not for that stupid slip up against Palace.

And your telling me its never been a realistic target?

Sod consolidating fifth mentality and pat ourselves on the back for finishing fifth. We can smell the champions league places and are a point away.

Guest rusty747

If you had asked me at the start of the season if I would be happy with fifth and Europa League I would have said yes. But now, having done most of the hard work, I would be very disappointed to miss out on fourth. If we had beaten Palace and Man U, with City drawing v Sunderland we would actually have gone third for at least 24 hours. Dreaming I know but this team is good enough for fourth and with the right reinforcements in the summer we can do some serious damage in the Champions League.

Unfortunately, I think we have left ourselves with too much to do now. Arsenal will take at least 10 points from their remaining games which means we have to win all 4. Not going to happen - though I would have course be delighted to be wrong.

Edited by rusty747

Are you mad?

We have been top four for practically the whole season bar a few months in between.

We are one point away could have gone two points clear if not for that stupid slip up against Palace.

And your telling me its never been a realistic target?

Sod consolidating fifth mentality and pat ourselves on the back for finishing fifth. We can smell the champions league places and are a point away.

Tbf to Dunc, he has said all season that fourth wasn't on for us.

It's far from unrealistic when only one point separates us and Arsenal but as said Dunc has said that for some time and it did look the case a month or two ago which is a great credit to Roberto and the lads for plugging away.

Still very much a possibility for me but would mean a slip up twice from Arsenal and with their remaining games being favourable it's going to be very tight.

Either way a Europa league spot should be almost nailed on and if you had asked me at the start of the season and part way in with all things considered injuries new set up and so on I would have taken that without question.

Still hoping though.......

Seem unable to bring oneself to look at the league table anymore, just can't abide to see "them" at the summit, but as it stands, aren't we only a point behind Arsenal with a game in hand ? That in itself represents a very good chance to actually accomplish a fourth place finish with enough games remaining ? Yes alright, they may have an easier run-in than ourselves, but as we've seen just recent, anyone can beat anyone and anything can occur. Remaining "confident" we can see out this endeavor and obtain a champions league place for next season. Still perfectly feasible as it remains.

Seem unable to bring oneself to look at the league table anymore, just can't abide to see "them" at the summit, but as it stands, aren't we only a point behind Arsenal with a game in hand ? That in itself represents a very good chance to actually accomplish a fourth place finish with enough games remaining ? Yes alright, they may have an easier run-in than ourselves, but as we've seen just recent, anyone can beat anyone and anything can occur. Remaining "confident" we can see out this endeavor and obtain a champions league place for next season. Still perfectly feasible as it remains.

No game in hand any more.

Guest Nikica

Was gutted to see the result the other night. Palace did look like a banana skin - they've been in good form and Pulis's teams have a knack of being tough to break down. Good to see that Cotto realises how important McCarthy is - when I looked at the teams pre-game and saw he was being rested (precaution?) I sensed trouble.

But on the other hand, why are some of you giving up? I agree with what blueboy is saying above - yes, getting fifth would be doing very well, in the grand scheme of things. It has been a very competitive league this season (and I'm generally more critical of the 'competitiveness' argument than most). However, it's all about momentum - you had it and everything was/is in your grasp. If you were biting away to get fifth and had put together a huge run to come from 10th (I realise you had won plenty of games on the bounce, but imagine an even longer streak and coming from further down the table), then that would constitute a great late run and pats on the back.

But as blueboy says, you've been battling away for this all season. You've been there or thereabouts and you're still in the hunt. You could certainly win all four remaining games, which would mean Arsenal would only need to draw one game and you'd have fourth. Don't lose hope now - it's a big ask but it can be done and this isn't mission improbable.

I know over the years that some of you have become used to being 'the nearly men', but this is a new regime now with a different style (a style conducive to winning games rather than drawing). I'm confident that Martinez will rectify the errors he made the other night. Now's the time for you guys to keep the faith. I - as a non-Everton fan - shouldn't have to say that to a couple of you.

I fancy Martinez to do well against next season. However, it's not a given. I know you don't wanna contemplate this, but your long-term future could hinge on these next four games. You'd expect the likes of Tottenham, Man U (if they sack Moyes, lol) and even the others at the top to be even stronger next season. Other teams' potential improvements will mirror your own, so next season could be an even bigger battle. As has been stated by Romey etc, if you can get fourth place now, you will have more bargaining chips to play with (third would have been excellent due to the astute comments made regarding having money in the bank and being able to negotiate properly with players pre-qualifier, but alas). CL football does matter to players and getting it could allow you to buy the required quality to progress and also cope with a European campaign. I suppose the other side of the coin is that if you miss out on CL this season you will be fresher in the league next season, but then you may be in the Europa so it's swings and roundabouts.

I suppose my overall point here is that you're good enough to win these last five games. Man City struggle away from home (and have done versus you in the recent past, albeit with Moyes at your helm and not Martinez) and Man United are very beatable. Southampton have dropped off somewhat now and their top striker is injured. Your other away game is Hull on the final day, as you know - by then Hull will have an eye on the cup final, which can work two ways - they rest players with an eye on it, or everyone is eyeing a place for the showpiece event and hence gives their all. I don't need to mention the prospect of Jelavic ruining your dreams on the last day, but I'm sure some of you have thought about that.

You can still win all these games. If you do, a solitary Arsenal draw will grant you fourth. Don't give up now - you've been through too much this season to start lagging 10 metres from the finish line.

Edited by Nikica

Was gutted to see the result the other night. Palace did look like a banana skin - they've been in good form and Pulis's teams have a knack of being tough to break down. Good to see that Cotto realises how important McCarthy is - when I looked at the teams pre-game and saw he was being rested (precaution?) I sensed trouble.

But on the other hand, why are some of you giving up? I agree with what blueboy is saying above - yes, getting fifth would be doing very well, in the grand scheme of things. It has been a very competitive league this season (and I'm generally more critical of the 'competitiveness' argument than most). However, it's all about momentum - you had it and everything was/is in your grasp. If you were biting away to get fifth and had put together a huge run to come from 10th (I realise you had won plenty of games on the bounce, but imagine an even longer streak and coming from further down the table), then that would constitute a great late run and pats on the back.

But as blueboy says, you've been battling away for this all season. You've been there or thereabouts and you're still in the hunt. You could certainly win all four remaining games, which would mean Arsenal would only need to draw one game and you'd have fourth. Don't lose hope now - it's a big ask but it can be done and this isn't mission improbable.

I know over the years that some of you have become used to being 'the nearly men', but this is a new regime now with a different style (a style conducive to winning games rather than drawing). I'm confident that Martinez will rectify the errors he made the other night. Now's the time for you guys to keep the faith. I - as a non-Everton fan - shouldn't have to say that to a couple of you.

I fancy Martinez to do well against next season. However, it's not a given. I know you don't wanna contemplate this, but your long-term future could hinge on these next four games. You'd expect the likes of Tottenham, Man U (if they sack Moyes, lol) and even the others at the top to be even stronger next season. Other teams' potential improvements will mirror your own, so next season could be an even bigger battle. As has been stated by Romey etc, if you can get fourth place now, you will have more bargaining chips to play with (third would have been excellent due to the astute comments made regarding having money in the bank and being able to negotiate properly with players pre-qualifier, but alas). CL football does matter to players and getting it could allow you to buy the required quality to progress and also cope with a European campaign. I suppose the other side of the coin is that if you miss out on CL this season you will be fresher in the league next season, but then you may be in the Europa so it's swings and roundabouts.

I suppose my overall point here is that you're good enough to win these last five games. Man City struggle away from home (and have done versus you in the recent past, albeit with Moyes at your helm and not Martinez) and Man United are very beatable. Southampton have dropped off somewhat now and their top striker is injured. Your other away game is Hull on the final day, as you know - by then Hull will have an eye on the cup final, which can work two ways - they rest players with an eye on it, or everyone is eyeing a place for the showpiece event and hence gives their all. I don't need to mention the prospect of Jelavic ruining your dreams on the last day, but I'm sure some of you have thought about that.

You can still win all these games. If you do, a solitary Arsenal draw will grant you fourth. Don't give up now - you've been through too much this season to start lagging 10 metres from the finish line.

I think that's a very sensible outlook on next season. I'm a firm believer it will get tougher without CL football.

I can't see how anybody can possibly predict how we will do next season at this moment in time

Even if we don't get CL football we are going to need to bring in at least 5 players I the summer, and that's easier said than done in a World Cup year

My main concern is who is going to be our strikers next season ? The thought of going with Naismith and Kone doesn't fill me with confidence

I've no doubt that Roberto has his targets but until we actually see what the squad looks like its impossible to predict what kind of season we will have

With regards to getting 4th yes it's still mathematically possible but I just can't see us getting enough points from our remaining games a bday I can't see Arsenal dropping points. They are seasoned campaigners at this and it would be a huge shock to see them falter now

If we get 5th I still think that constitutes a great season for us

I can't see how anybody can possibly predict how we will do next season at this moment in time

Even if we don't get CL football we are going to need to bring in at least 5 players I the summer, and that's easier said than done in a World Cup year

My main concern is who is going to be our strikers next season ? The thought of going with Naismith and Kone doesn't fill me with confidence

I've no doubt that Roberto has his targets but until we actually see what the squad looks like its impossible to predict what kind of season we will have

With regards to getting 4th yes it's still mathematically possible but I just can't see us getting enough points from our remaining games a bday I can't see Arsenal dropping points. They are seasoned campaigners at this and it would be a huge shock to see them falter now

If we get 5th I still think that constitutes a great season for us

5th is a good season no doubt but 4th is a fantastic season.

The added finances of CL will surely set us up for a better season? Easy to predict we'll do better with the added finances is spent wisely. If we reach the group stages we'll earn anywhere between £15m and £25m.

A striker is not a concern for me as it seems Roberto has been saving up for a decent one.

Guest Nikica

That's the point though we aren't in the CL next season and people are already spending the money !

It's a World Cup year so prices are going to be inflated

There are too many unknown variables at this point in time to try and accurately predict what we are going to do next season

You're right, fifth would be a very good season for Martinez's first. I'm more looking at in terms of the momentum you had built up, rather than concrete notions of 'he finished here' etc.

You're also right that it's all speculation, and in a World Cup year things are far trickier. I'm just musing on the fact that negotiations are far easier when you have the prospect of CL football i.e. fourth and a qualifying tie. Given this and the fact that we'd expect other teams to improve over the summer, these next four games could shape the next five or ten years or so of the club. Clearly that might be going OTT - I'm just covering some of the angles.

I base expectations on how things pan out... I didn't expect United to be a quite as shite (Christian gross would have delivered top 4), plus spurs were pretty awful. Liverpool have been the real surprise package, in effect our 5-7th place has been secured with a shift in competition.

I honestly believe that wherever we finish - next season is going to be massive... Absolutely ground breaking. A full pre season, newer players, more Martinez magic...

Guest Nikica

I base expectations on how things pan out... I didn't expect United to be a quite as shite (Christian gross would have delivered top 4), plus spurs were pretty awful. Liverpool have been the real surprise package, in effect our 5-7th place has been secured with a shift in competition.

I honestly believe that wherever we finish - next season is going to be massive... Absolutely ground breaking. A full pre season, newer players, more Martinez magic...

I think you're right there. However, as long-term football fans we know that the game is unpredictable and things don't always work out as planned. It would be wise to temper expectations and remain optimistic but not 'expect' things, as such.

Guest Nikica

I wonder if Daily Mail's Martin Samuel will finish his love in with Liverpool and make a point about Borini possibly costing Chelsea the title? Or is it just us who are doing wrong with the loan system?

Good point. The media is steeped in hypocrisy and Samuel is a tosser, so never gonna happen.

Edited by Nikica

Arsenal's fixtures:

28th April - vs Newcastle

4th May - vs West Brom

11th May - @ Norwich

Everton's fixtures:

26th April - @ Southampton

3rd May - vs Man City

11th May - @ Hull

Seems unlikely, but you never know.

West Brom are hard to beat. Look at the amount of draws they have. In a relegation fight too.

Norwich away last game of the season in a relegation battle... Wouldn't want to go there at all!!

It's not over.

Guest blueboy122

I don't give a fuck what the media say we deserve fourth

I don't give a fuck what the media say we deserve fourth

I think if we deserved fourth we would have put palace to the sword.

If we end up level of pointa and with the same goal difference, what is taken into account next? If head-to-head, we win.

They've scored 5 goals more than us, but we're still 2 up in goal difference.