IGNORED

A Champions League spot is still a real possibility

My son is a Liverpool supporter, and we've enjoyed seeing both teams thrive this season.

But I don't live in the area, so you're right that I have no idea of the intensity of the rivalry. Having said that, I really can't understand why you'd give up a CL spot just to prevent Liverpool from winning the title. That's the very definition of "cutting your nose to spite your face".

Because we want tito be the best in the city. You woukdnt understand how bitter I am towards them. The shite I've had to work with, the ones I've had to listen to in pubs since I was fifteen. I hate them. There arrogant smug twats. I hope Andy Carroll ends their dreams next week.

One of those goals you never forget if you were there. Down my end too.

Atmosphere was fucking amazing. Soon as the rain and hail came you just knew we were going to get the winner.

Yeah I was there too. Could see in that weather they didn't fancy it. Praying for another one of them games, if we score a late winner against them the roof will come off. Wish it was a night game though, would add to the atmosphere.

Why not?? I think City are a bit scared of us you know?!

I think Mancini was scared of us Aidan, I'm not sure with this city side. We could beat them 2-0, but if they turn up in the right mood we could go down 4 or 5.

Because we want tito be the best in the city. You woukdnt understand how bitter I am towards them. The shite I've had to work with, the ones I've had to listen to in pubs since I was fifteen. I hate them. There arrogant smug twats. I hope Andy Carroll ends their dreams next week.

And this Brett, is why they call us bitter. I don't want them to win the league, but not at our expense. I love Everton more than I hate Liverpool. I would like both clubs in the champions league though. It would be great for the city. Edited by StevO

Whilst I dont entirely agree with Brett (there is part of me), I completely understand where he is coming from. Liverpool supporters will become more obnoxious, more difficult to be around and that is bad enough already. The things that make it bearable are baciscally what Steve mentions above; the best for the city, and I want us to succeed more than I want them to fail.

Its Liverpools to lose at the moment with the way they can blitz teams, maybe they still will and we still finish 4th, maybe higher if we keep our run going. Maybe they come second and we come 3rd, or vice versa - still possible!

Maybe, maybe, maybe.... Im just enjoying the Martinez journey. Long may it continue!

As much as it would pain me to see them win the title I'm taking the view that if it happens then it validates Martinez as the right manager for Everton. It will serve as proof in the methods that he is instilling in the club and serve as an indication to players that we are on the right track.

He was Fenway's first choice and he decieded to pass. If that is what Rogers can do then it is unlimited what Martinez can be done in years two and three of his project.

The article was complete nonsense

It was factually incorrect for a start and then tried to make out that Roberto had ended our problems playing away at the top teams just because we beat United 1-0. It's not like they have been invincible this year is it?

He didn't mention that we lost at Chelsea lost at Spurs and got trounced at Arsenal,City and Analfield

Some criticism of Moyes is perfectly valid but you can't just make shit up and tell half truths to suit your argument, which is basically what that reporter did

You fail to really grasp the concept that we have at least put in some good performances against those teams. We arent sitting back waiting to be beaten, we are going out to try and impose ourselves on the opposition. If you cant see the difference between how we have performed against those clubs under Martinez in his first season compared to how we performed in those games under Moyes then you need your eyes testing.

The reporter is correct, maybe not in the way he has written the article, but in the main point he is getting across. We have only beaten Utd but we should have taken far more points off Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal and before we conceded that stupid penalty against Arsenal in the Cup we were the better team in that game too. Dont forget the year before under Moyes we were beaten soundly by an injury savaged Wigan side at Goodison park. If you compare the two games at each stage of the cup its as clear as night and day.

You fail to really grasp the concept that we have at least put in some good performances against those teams. We arent sitting back waiting to be beaten, we are going out to try and impose ourselves on the opposition. If you cant see the difference between how we have performed against those clubs under Martinez in his first season compared to how we performed in those games under Moyes then you need your eyes testing.

The reporter is correct, maybe not in the way he has written the article, but in the main point he is getting across. We have only beaten Utd but we should have taken far more points off Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal and before we conceded that stupid penalty against Arsenal in the Cup we were the better team in that game too. Dont forget the year before under Moyes we were beaten soundly by an injury savaged Wigan side at Goodison park. If you compare the two games at each stage of the cup its as clear as night and day.

For your information I am not failing to grasp that concept at all , its the reporters bullshit that I was referring to when I said it was total bollocks

As soon as I read the following I knew the article was total bollocks

"Ok, even supposing we look past the "low-cost" signings of Marouane Fellaini19 million), Yakubu Aiyegbeni (£15m), Diniyar Bilyaletdinov (£9m) and so on, what now of Martinez guiding Everton to a genuine top-four finish with a negative net-spend of £12.5 million or so? "

If the author couldnt be arsed enough to research his facts before publishing then that tells me all I need to know about his credibilty,

I am in total agreement with this piece by Phil Kirkbride that I posted in the Martinez thread so I have absolutely no problem with waht Roberto is trying to do but the fact remains that the reporter was trying to use stats to bash Moyes with and in the cold hard light of day , apart from us beating a very poor Man Utd 1-0 our record against he top sides is still just as bad

According to transfermarket.com them figures are about right. Dont forget add ons cos I Felli was 15mil plus the extras. Not sure on the fee structure for the rest.

He isnt 'just as bad' though Dunc. Ok points wise we havent made the most of the performances but in terms of the games themselves I have seen a big step forward in less than 12 months in charge. Martinez needs to show he can do it season in season out but the signs are encouraging.

Dunc, psychologically you invested a lot of trust, appreciation, and support in Moyes. I applaud that.

What is the point in trying to defend someone who doesn't give a shit about us as a club? He was never an Evertonian. I never expected much from him so I couldn't care less about his so called legacy being slated, he wasn't all that. He did ok.

Just looking at our remaining fixture list compared to Arsenals and there is no way we are going to be able to pip Arsenal to 4th, even if we beat them at the weekend. They have pretty easy games and we have a shocking finish. We would only really be able to drop 3 points at the worst and we are facing Sunderland away who are fighting for their life, Soton who are always tricky, City fighting for the title, Utd who are on the up, Palace who are well disciplined and the a Hull team that probably wont have much to play for.

I know Martinez uses the word a lot but it would have to be a truly phenomenal end of the season to see us even take it to the last game.

Winning at the weekend would put down a marker to say that it will go down to the wire. We finally get to play Arsenal on our turf and to return the favor for the fa cup defeat. Beat them on Sunday and not only will they have to contend with knowing their title hopes are well and truly gone but that they have a fight on their hands for that 4th spot. We would have a huge psychological advantage.

They would hopefully bottle it. It would naturally reinforce the belief in the team.

I can't wait until Sunday.

Dunc, psychologically you invested a lot of trust, appreciation, and support in Moyes. I applaud that.

What is the point in trying to defend someone who doesn't give a shit about us as a club? He was never an Evertonian. I never expected much from him so I couldn't care less about his so called legacy being slated, he wasn't all that. He did ok.

whats the point in always taking a swipe, at every opportunity, if you couldn't care less?

Think Dunc is just looking at it from a facts-on-paper point of view. So far the points tally isn't changed much, not that it can be compared since Martinez has 1 year against 11.

Also, agree with Bailey in that performances on the whole are improved. I don't mean the passing part, I mean the intent and positivity

whats the point in always taking a swipe, at every opportunity, if you couldn't care less?

Think Dunc is just looking at it from a facts-on-paper point of view. So far the points tally isn't changed much, not that it can be compared since Martinez has 1 year against 11.

Also, agree with Bailey in that performances on the whole are improved. I don't mean the passing part, I mean the intent and positivity

I said I couldn't care less about his legacy being slated.

The reasons I stated that Moyes was a limited manager are being amplified now he is at a super dooper massive club, and no longer at premier league minnows Everton.... At least that's the illusion he created.

Barring a couple of million here and there the article was spot on. To state that we haven't been much better against the top 4 is nonsense. At home against Liverpool it was the best we had played in years against them. Away at arsenal the same, away to Chelsea just unlucky and we have beaten United and Chelsea also.

Criticisms of Moyes don't need to be countered with criticisms of Martinez - especially when the man has done a great job.

Edited by Hafnia

I said I couldn't care less about his legacy being slated.

The reasons I stated that Moyes was a limited manager are being amplified now he is at a super dooper massive club, and no longer at premier league minnows Everton.... At least that's the illusion he created.

Barring a couple of million here and there the article was spot on. To state that we haven't been much better against the top 4 is nonsense. At home against Liverpool it was the best we had played in years against them. Away at arsenal the same, away to Chelsea just unlucky and we have beaten United and Chelsea also.

Criticisms of Moyes don't need to be countered with criticisms of Martinez - especially when the man has done a great job.

Who has criticised him ?

Nitpicking=

Minute, trivial, unnecessary, and unjustified criticism or faultfinding.

Yeah I'll go with that.... Case closed.

Haf you'll see if you go back to the original Martinez topic I wanted him here from the start (father being a Swansea fan I'd seen a lot of him over the years) but I think we all get the picture now between you and dunc and if I'm honest it's like being back at primary school!

Haf you'll see if you go back to the original Martinez topic I wanted him here from the start (father being a Swansea fan I'd seen a lot of him over the years) but I think we all get the picture now between you and dunc and if I'm honest it's like being back at primary school!

Fine ignore it then. The sooner he lets the "criticism of Moyes = let's dilute what Roberto has done" the better.

Then we can all move on. Dunc wants us to remain in an ever grateful state to a manager who does not deserve it and its getting ridiculous now. We are on for our best points tally yet and he's pulling out shite about games against top 4 that we deserved to win. So... Why are you quoting my response, if anything I'm trying to preserve the feelgood nature of this thread.

Let's move on Ffs.

Fine ignore it then. The sooner he lets the "criticism of Moyes = let's dilute what Roberto has done" the better.

Then we can all move on. Dunc wants us to remain in an ever grateful state to a manager who does not deserve it and its getting ridiculous now. We are on for our best points tally yet and he's pulling out shite about games against top 4 that we deserved to win. So... Why are you quoting my response, if anything I'm trying to preserve the feelgood nature of this thread.

Let's move on Ffs.

Haf your full of shit, I have not tried to dilute what Roberto has done in the slightest

Yes I have backed the job Moyes did at Everton but I have also praised the job done by Roberto, I can differentiate between the two, something you appear incapable of

The only time I have criticised him was after the derby debacle when he got his tactics badly wrong and I have also said that in some games we need a plan B. I still stand by both of those comments but other than that I have been full of praise for him. I have even said we are better off under Roberto than we were with Moyes and that I was loving his positivity

You just let your hatred for Moyes get in the way of everything, it is possible to defend Moyes without having a go at Roberto

For the sake of everyone else I wont say anymore on the matter

It's not possible for us to get 4th unless arsenal collapse

Sorry to be pedantic but arsenal don't need to collapse for us to finish 4th. If we win all our remaining games we finish at least 4th. So arsenal could win all of theirs except their trip to Goodson, and still finish below us. That wouldn't be a collapse :P

Not saying it will happen, but can always hope