IGNORED

A Champions League spot is still a real possibility

Be honest here, who now laughs at the squad we had going into that champions league qualifier against Villareal? I remember a certain Pistone at left back, hibbert at right back. Simon Davies, Kilbane, Beattie and so on. We were no were near ready with the squad we had and the football we played. At least if we make it this time, we have quality in the squad and a manager who can match europe's elite tactically. My point is I would be less worried this time in the qualifying stages than I was in 05/06 season. But as you said, finishing third is one less game.

Be honest here, who now laughs at the squad we had going into that champions league qualifier against Villareal? I remember a certain Pistone at left back, hibbert at right back. Simon Davies, Kilbane, Beattie and so on. We were no were near ready with the squad we had and the football we played. At least if we make it this time, we have quality in the squad and a manager who can match europe's elite tactically. My point is I would be less worried this time in the qualifying stages than I was in 05/06 season. But as you said, finishing third is one less game.

It's not even about taking two games out of the equation (two legs remember). It means we know straight off we've got that money in the bank and can spend it early on in the summer rather than having to wait until we know if we qualify or not. Getting third would be massive.

Ha ha title ambitions next season I guess. That's why it's important we invest in our squad over the summer as we need litreally two teams next season if we qualify. Last thing I want is our league form getting affected after flying to europe to play on Wednesday night then playing West Ham away on the Sunday and lose 2-0 to two dirty goals by Nolan and Carroll.

And it turns out that fifth may be good enough to secure CL football. If we come fourth, it would mean no need for a qualifying round. :)

http://metro.co.uk/2014/04/15/how-arsenal-or-everton-could-potentially-nick-manchester-citys-champions-league-place-through-financial-fair-play-4699511/

I'd be very surprised if they were banned from the CL.

it's going to be a real grind to get this CL. Arsenal haven't given up yet, but they do have the FA cup final, so hopefully that will pull their attention off a match or 2.

i am convinced if we can beat palace and man u both, we will be on such a tear that the rest of the fixtures don't matter, we'll have some momentum. we need to start with tomorrow and a win.

Edited by markjazzbassist

It's not over but that loss has been coming. We definately got it completely wrong in team selection. I've finally realised the importance of McCarthy. When he came on we looked a difference side and Barry was absolutely lost without him. I think Sundays game will be the telling. On that performance we'll get snotted.

Let's go back to the solid core. Leave Mcgeady ( who I thought did ok) and Deulofeu as impact subs!

It's not over but that loss has been coming. We definately got it completely wrong in team selection. I've finally realised the importance of McCarthy. When he came on we looked a difference side and Barry was absolutely lost without him. I think Sundays game will be the telling. On that performance we'll get snotted.

Let's go back to the solid core. Leave Mcgeady ( who I thought did ok) and Deulofeu as impact subs!

Ah. That answers my question in the match day thread!!!

It was too many attacking players tonight. We had 5 attacking players starting...plus bainsy and coleman get forward...so thats 7. Mirallas n Gerry dont like to get back in a rush, McGeady seems to. It was too much to have all those starting.

The worse of it? With all that attacking prowess, we did fuck all. Too direct. Too rushed. And same old ideas time and again from Gerry.

And it turns out that fifth may be good enough to secure CL football. If we come fourth, it would mean no need for a qualifying round. :)

http://metro.co.uk/2014/04/15/how-arsenal-or-everton-could-potentially-nick-manchester-citys-champions-league-place-through-financial-fair-play-4699511/

stopped reading at "At this time, expulsion from the Champions League is not reportedly on the table."

i agree mccarthy is a legend and should be played every match possible. he does make barry look better than he really is (take that into account RM this summer with wages and such).

I agree with gerry as a sub from now on, but not McGeady. Tonight it didn't work with all the selfish guys, but he does pass and is direct and quick. i think in our regular 4231 on the left or right he could be great rotating with mirallas. i think aiden and coleman would do well together on the right and with a creative pienaar it would bring out the best in mcgeady with his crossing and passing. i think mcgeady could be a really great player for us, not a goal scorer, but great in link up play and crossing.

We are 11 points behind Arsenal with a game in hand. If we win that extra game (vs. Palace), then we are 8 points behind. If we win tomorrow and Arsenal (away to Chelsea) lose, then we are 5 points behind. If we win our remaining home game against Arsenal, then we are just 2 points behind. With nine other games to play, I'd say that a CL spot remains a real possibility.

Task 1 complete: 11 points behind => 8 points behind

Task 2 complete: 8 points behind => 6 points behind

Task 3 complete: 6 points behind => 4 points behind

Task 4 complete: 4 points behind => 1 point behind

Task 5 complete: 1 point behind => 2 points ahead

Task 6 failed: 2 points ahead => 1 point behind

Plenty of games remaining guys, it was extremely difficult to go ten games unbeaten, but now, without that pressure, if the team performs this weekend I feel quite confident about finishing fourth.

After two difficult games, one grinding a 0-1 win and another one exposing the weakness of the team without McCarthy and Pienaar (key element to open defenses with Baines), I believe the next game will seal the fate of the season.

Win, and the two next games will seem easy, the lads have time to rest and recover and the preparation for the games with a full week will improve. At this rate, Man City will be out of the title race in two weeks time, and this Everton team is better suited to play against attacking teams like City. A Man City side without Touré, with Aguero not fully fit and in a poor run of form.

Lose, and any hope for CL football next season will be gone.

A great final cup against an unpredictable Manchester United side(will Mata, Kagawa and Januzaj play together? will Rooney play?), next Sunday, 16.10 at Goodison Park.

i saw the team last night and thought yes lets have it. I thought we would blast them off the park but after the first ten minutes after we hadn't scored they got confidence.i think the bolasie one where he hit the post summed it up.Goalie kicked it and ross let it bounce and then it was on the edge of the box.if your playing that role you cant let the ball bounce from a goal kick.we conceded really poor goals last night and our corner kicks drive me mad!!! even so I think the big games might be better for us and arsenal wont win 4 on the bounce. Always believe!