IGNORED

A Champions League spot is still a real possibility

We are 11 points behind Arsenal with a game in hand. If we win that extra game (vs. Palace), then we are 8 points behind. If we win tomorrow and Arsenal (away to Chelsea) lose, then we are 5 points behind. If we win our remaining home game against Arsenal, then we are just 2 points behind. With nine other games to play, I'd say that a CL spot remains a real possibility.

This is the post that started this thread. We have since then taken 10 points on Arsenal. Everton top the form table from the latest 5 games. Arsenal are near the bottom. They do however have an easier run now. I am asuming they will win their remaining games.

Its going to be close.

Everton top the form table from the latest 5 games.

Quite logical when you win them all. The team seems to be clicking now and everything is in place, but still I fear that at some point points will be dropped, kinda like the game against Sunderland in December.

It happpens from time to time, but if it has to happen, let it be against Man City.

I'm looking at Southampton away as our toughest game. At home it always gives you that edge. If we were going away to City I'd be hesitant to say we'd get anything from it. But at home it's an advantage!

Away games are what I'm wary of.

Even if we don't manage it this season we will next. Playing the type of football we have this season and finishing where we will, be that 4th or 5th, can only bode well for attracting quality reinforcements. With Martinez as manager, too... good news spreads.

Good, exciting, times are ahead.

We are 11 points behind Arsenal with a game in hand. If we win that extra game (vs. Palace), then we are 8 points behind. If we win tomorrow and Arsenal (away to Chelsea) lose, then we are 5 points behind. If we win our remaining home game against Arsenal, then we are just 2 points behind. With nine other games to play, I'd say that a CL spot remains a real possibility.

Task 1 complete: 11=>8

Task 2 complete: 8=>6

Task 3 complete: 6=>4

Task 4 complete: 4=>1

Flamini misses their next 2 games for the yellow and to use Jamie Redknapp's words they're fucked. Could have done with Arteta seeing red as well.

Still the onus is on us to continue as we are, although after a big showing we usually let our foot off the pedal. Get a sense this time it will spur us on even more.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26914577

"Everton have been regarded, even by many of their own fans, as a team that just comes up short at the real pressure pinch points. Here they reacted to the expectation of a game they had to win with style, power and no shortage of the arrogance Martinez likes to see in his teams."

Great opportunity indeed.

I fail to see though how being in CL will attract better players if we can't afford to buy them. We'll attract them OK.....but that's as far as it can go. We'll really struggle after the initial stages when we get into the bigger teams because we won't have the depth of talent to be able to field a competitive side week in, week out in the Prem and in CL. FFS Lukaku is stuffed by the 70th minute in most games as it is let alone any other injury worries.

Would someone like to explain in words of one syllable how we overcome this, apart from finding a fairy godmother and a rich one at that?

I am not a chicken-hearted individual either, just a bit of a realist. The question stands however.....how do we do it?

Edited by Oztoffee

Great opportunity indeed.

I fail to see though how being in CL will attract better players if we can't afford to buy them. We'll attract them OK.....but that's as far as it can go. We'll really struggle after the initial stages when we get into the bigger teams because we won't have the depth of talent to be able to field a competitive side week in, week out in the Prem and in CL. FFS Lukaku is stuffed by the 70th minute in most games as it is let alone any other injury worries.

Would someone like to explain in words of one syllable how we overcome this, apart from finding a fairy godmother and a rich one at that?

I am not a chicken-hearted individual either, just a bit of a realist. The question stands however.....how do we do it?

Keep in mind mate it's only 6 extra games. We'll have Kone, Gibson and Oviedo fit by next year, adding depth to the squad all over, and no doubt Martinez will buy a fair few more players in the off season with the money from Fellaini + revenue created by qualification. Martinez is rotating the squad very well at the moment without stunting the teams performances, and he'll only add to the amount of options to rotate. So I don't think it'll be as bad as many are making out if we do in fact qualify for the Champions League next season.

I know we're straying a little from the topic here, but it's a case of making the best use of your assets.

• Is there deadwood that can go - maybe getting some cash and certainly reducing the wage bill? I'm sure we could generate sufficient cash this way to bring in two or three useful players in their stead.
  • Are players ready to jump from the youth team to the first team? Right now, I'd say that three or four are ready for the jump.
  • Can we once again make good use of players on loan? That could bring us four more players.

So, these policies alone could bring us another ten players or so - and that's without even putting to use the cash remaining from the sale of Fellaini. I wouldn't want a fairy godmother, as you call them, because that's almost cheating your way to the top. It can be done without spending exorbitant amounts on big-name players. We just have to be that much smarter than other teams.

I know we're straying a little from the topic here, but it's a case of making the best use of your assets.

• Is there deadwood that can go - maybe getting some cash and certainly reducing the wage bill? I'm sure we could generate sufficient cash this way to bring in two or three useful players in their stead.
  • Are players ready to jump from the youth team to the first team? Right now, I'd say that three or four are ready for the jump.
  • Can we once again make good use of players on loan? That could bring us four more players.

Not sure there's anyone really that can go that would save us any money right now. Hibbert may decide he doesn't fancy watching from the side lines anymore and that he wants to either retire or move on to another club before he retires but his transfer fee would be minimal and his wages I imaigne aren't huge. Actually just checked and Hibbo's contract runs out this summer so he'll likely be off or if he's not interested in playing elsewhere might get a year contract accepting that he's backup and highly unlikely to play.

The only other players that I'd happily see leave the current squad are also all minimal pay/transfer players. Gueye and Vellios probably the only 2. I don't think either are good enough and Martinez clearly goes with this theory as despite having a bit of first team experience neither has got near the side before going out on loan. Actually Vellios will leave us this season as his contract runs out.

The only player who actually plays that I'd consider moving on is PIenaar. He's still performing very well for us at times but is losing his pace now and getting more injuries. We probably wouldn't get a big fee for him though so he maybe better value to keep him rather than let him go.

--

Hard to know if any players are ready to make the side from the youth team. Martinez made comments about adding Browning and Garbutt to the subs bench as they'd performed so well on loans however he always has a good spin on things and in truth it was as much about as having no other options! It would be good to see Garbutt come through as a good backup option to Baines.

Browning I don't really know much about and only just now looking him up I see he is a right back. Great news as I assume he can take over as backup to Coleman from Hibbert but he's only played 2 games for Wigan and I'm sure could do with a bit more loan time before he is ready to step up.

Of the other youth players there's not a lot currently in the squad that have gained a lot of loan experience. John Lundstram has looked very good for England youth and has had some decent loans but he'd be battling for a position in our strongest area (midfield). Hallam Hope has started well on his loans with some goals but he's only played a few games and that's in league 2, I'd say he needs to play in the Championship before i'd consider weather he has what it takes.

Matthew Kennedy seems a talent who could find himself in the squad during next season and of course George Green though still very young seems to be the main touted next big thing of the academy. both in midfield so will struggle to get much action.

---

I'm sure we will look to get a couple of loans. Deulefu would be good if we can secure him for another season, I fancy we will even with Barca's transfer embargo. The difficulty is always finding players who will enhance the team. A decent backup striker would be good but if Kone is fit then game time would be limited (assuming we buy a striker). I'm sure it's something that will be looked at though.

--

I agree that Martinez has rotated our pretty small squad well. Gibson will be an important player to get back next season as at the moment we would find it hard to cope the way we play without either one of McCarthy or Barry. Osman has covered but can't really be relyed on. Even without injuries those 2 both pick up plenty of bookings and along with extra games for europe there is a big burden on them.

Attacking midfield wise we have good options at the moment and Martinez has been able to rotate well. Defensively there isn't a lot, though Oviedo was showing great promise as an extra left back when Baines was injured. An extra option at right back is needed. On centre backs were not too bad if Alcaraz gets fit and useful. I expect Stones to gradually take over from Distin next season with Jagielka leaving us with Distin and Alcaraz as very good back up.

All in all were not that far off but certainly a few extras are needed and injuries to areas with little backup would be very costly.