MC11

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who should play central midfield

• Barry & Mccarthy
    • Barry & Barkley
    • McCarthy & Barkley
    • Barry & Osman
    • McCarthy & Osman

As you've probably gathered this position is bugging me and I'd like to see it mixed up.

All season we've gone with the two sitting midfielders, who both aren't brilliant in the final third. I really want to see the Barry and McCarthy partnership broke up and I think tomorrow night would be a good opportunity to see how we fare without that partnership. I don't care if it's Osman or Barkley who play in there. Or if it's Barry or McCarthy dropped.

The last few games we have been dire, the wing backs haven't been as fruitful.

I could be completely bonkers but I really feel we need to try something different.

So here's a poll for what everyone thinks.

Barry & McCarthy, our two midfield roles are massive to our defensive game. Filling in for advanced full backs and breaking up play. Personally I think Barkley would be wasted with those defensive responsibilities. I also like the balance of a right and left footer in there.

If we only played with one defence minded player in there I'd be very worried, we concede too many goals from the middle as it is in my opinion.

Missing the point. Our two full backs aren't operating like they were at the start of the season. They are getting pressed back more and more. It's been worked out and teams are now making life difficult for Coleman and Baines.We are lacking a box to box midfielder it's very evident.

Well maybe it's very evident to you. But me and Roberto disagree with you. But it's ok, I don't mind your opinion.

But no point starting a thread to ask for opinions, then tell someone who disagrees that they miss the point.

I could change the title to agree with my opinion or I'll tell you your wrong if you like?

Edited by StevO

You say that two sitters are important because of the full backs. I agree, if they are bombing up and down all game. But they haven't been they.'be been pushed right back and we now have a case of 6 defenders on the field.

The two sitters work, but it's very evident that there needs to be a plan b, there doesn't seem to be one. He always keeps those two anchors in midfield. You don't need two all the time.. When Barkley moved back in the derby he was fantastic in there and we looked great. We conceded from set pieces.

It's not Barry and McCarthy's fault teams are pressing the full backs and stopping our wing play, the answer to that surly is getting our wingers to trouble the opposition a little more allowing space for the full backs to do their thing?

You don't break up a solid defensive midfield partnership because teams are pressing our full backs!

It's not Barry and McCarthy's fault teams are pressing the full backs and stopping our wing play, the answer to that surly is getting our wingers to trouble the opposition a little more allowing space for the full backs to do their thing?

You don't break up a solid defensive midfield partnership because teams are pressing our full backs!

We need a plan b for when this happens though. There is no point relying on wide men when sometimes teams just shut that area down. We need to be penetrating through the middle as well.

Something isn't right because we have been very poor of late. Scraping through teams or getting beat.

The problem with the midfield 2 is Barry is the brains but doesn't have the legs. I get your point, play one of them in the defensive role and have a more attacking minded player in front driving forward. The problem is do you trust McCarthy to play that role alone? Or do you think Barry has the legs to break up the play without his young partner?

This is how I see it.

McCarthy would be better suited to play with Barkley based on athleticism and legs alone. As you say Barry lacks any real pace to cover lost ground but there is also the argument of Barry being an experienced head in there.

That position is probably the only one that hasn't been tinkered with this season. Yes, it was great at first but there is major signs that teams are now shutting our fullbacks out the game by pressing wide. We need something penetrating through the middle and that's a box to box midfielder which neither Barry and McCarthy are.

It's a plan b when things aren't going our way. The only plan b I've seen this season was 3 at the back.

barry and mccarthy, barkley played a deeper role in a couple matches earlier in the season and didn't get forward enough. he's a lot better in attack than in defense and i'd rather play to his strength. mccarthy will get there over time, barry is a stop gap till we shore up a younger replacement.

When has Barkley played central midfield apart from the Derby when Baines got injured and Barry went to left back? He looked very comfortable in there and that's the only time I remember him playing deeper.

Take away one of Barry or McCarthy and replace with Barkley playing 'box to box' and the full backs will be even less of an attacking threat due to us having less defensive cover. Barkley will also be less of an attacking threat because he will have greater defensive responsibilities. Barry and McCarthy have been two of the best and most consistent players all season

MC isn't saying completely abandon the Barry/McCarthy partnership because there's no doubt it's been one of our most positive aspects this season. He's saying that we need to mix it up when things aren't going our way, make a change in order to make a positive impact on the game. And to do that he's suggesting taking away a defensive player and adding an attacking outlet for us.

For years we moaned about Moyes being rigid and not having a plan B. Now someone's suggesting a plan B because Martinez doesn't have one to fix our poor attacking play (at the moment) and people just want to keep things the same, even though it's clear we have a problem and need a solution :dont know: .

Edited by Romey 1878

MC isn't saying completely abandon the Barry/McCarthy partnership because there's no doubt it's been one of our most positive aspects this season. He's saying that we need to mix it up when things aren't going our way, make a change in order to make a positive impact on the game. And to do that he's suggesting taking away a defensive player and adding an attacking outlet for us.

For years we moaned about Moyes being rigid and not having a plan B. Now someone's suggesting a plan B because Martinez doesn't have one to fix our poor attacking play (at the moment) and people just want to keep things the same, even though it's clear we have a problem and need a solution :dont know: .

fan boys for ya :P

That's fair enough, and I'm also just offering my opinion and I have no issue with anyone else's :)

Personally I believe we should start with Barry and McCarthy and plan B should come during the game if required, if things aren't gong well. Hence my vote above :)

Barkley was fantastic in there against Liverpool in the second half. Cant see any reason why we would suffer against other sides with him in there. In fact I'd say it was one of his best games a long with Arsenal away in the league.

About 3.20 he moves into central midfield next to McCarthy

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=barkley+v+liverpool&docid=608030836483557982&mid=EDC97B1BDCC8C1DC9E52EDC97B1BDCC8C1DC9E52&view=detail&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=EDC97B1BDCC8C1DC9E52EDC97B1BDCC8C1DC9E52

Something needs to give because we've been very poor.

Mccarthy Barkley

Mirallas Naismith Mcgeady

Lukaku

Edited by MiguelCotto

I agree with MC teams sussed us out months ago , especially after the derby debacle, and so the fullbacks aren't getting forward so there is no need for 2 defensive midfielders. It's far too negative for games like Cardiff at home . We desperately need a plan B even the subs are predictable and are usually like for like

Barkley was fantastic in there against Liverpool in the second half. Cant see any reason why we would suffer against other sides with him in there. In fact I'd say it was one of his best games a long with Arsenal away in the league.

About 3.20 he moves into central midfield next to McCarthy

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=barkley+v+liverpool&docid=608030836483557982&mid=EDC97B1BDCC8C1DC9E52EDC97B1BDCC8C1DC9E52&view=detail&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=EDC97B1BDCC8C1DC9E52EDC97B1BDCC8C1DC9E52

Something needs to give because we've been very poor.

Mccarthy Barkley

Mirallas Naismith Mcgeady

Lukaku

You've won me round I'd be happy enough to see that line up tested out for a game, it would be interesting to see how it goes.