MC11

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who should play central midfield

• Barry & Mccarthy
    • Barry & Barkley
    • McCarthy & Barkley
    • Barry & Osman
    • McCarthy & Osman

Never change a mostly winning formula. The way some of yous are going on you would think we were in Newcastle's position. We've got so much to play for. No time for experimenting now.

The vote is currently 12 to 3 (I'm one of the 12) - so most people agree with you, myself included. Personally I've just said that for 'a game' it's something that might be worth considering. It's hardly wild and dangerous experimentation to rest one player and replace with another first team player against a team that can't score at the moment :)

I voted McCarthy & Barry as there's no doubt they are the best partnership to have in there at the start of the game as they are solid & give the boys in front of them (& the fullbacks) confidence to do their thing & attack. However.... For me the issue isn't central mid, its plan B, or the lack of. When things aren't going our way & we are chasing a game there is no point continuing with two holding midfielders, this is when I'd like to see Barry hooked, McCarthy sit, Ross pull back a bit & someone like Gerry on to support the Rom.

I voted McCarthy & Barry as there's no doubt they are the best partnership to have in there at the start of the game as they are solid & give the boys in front of them (& the fullbacks) confidence to do their thing & attack. However.... For me the issue isn't central mid, its plan B, or the lack of. When things aren't going our way & we are chasing a game there is no point continuing with two holding midfielders, this is when I'd like to see Barry hooked, McCarthy sit, Ross pull back a bit & someone like Gerry on to support the Rom.

Your plan B is exactly the same as mine.

I thought Barry and McCarthy showed tonight why Roberto likes them in there. And our full backs didn't even do that much attacking.

They both had excellent games tonight. Still no reason why they couldn't be changed when it's not working though, which is what MC is getting at, not changing it willy nilly.

I very rarely think it's them two who aren't working from what I've seen. I think our problems have been further forward and injuries behind them. I'm sure if they became a problem they would be dropped.

It doesn't even have to be their partnership that isn't working for one of them to be subbed does it? If we're chasing a game then it would be a good idea to yank a defensive player and bring on an attacking player wouldn't it? It's not like we're going to throw on a striker and launch the ball forwards these days.

Never change a mostly winning formula. The way some of yous are going on you would think we were in Newcastle's position. We've got so much to play for. No time for experimenting now.

I thankyou. Barry and McCMcCarthy played outstanding alongside each other and barkleyBarkley in the more advanced role scored goal of the season. Dont apiloapologize, it's ok.... No, it's ok honestly

To a lesser extent, the 4-2-3-1 is a very "Spanish" formula, two deep lying midfielders who offer extra protection and allow the front four to roam forward. I know you will not like the reference, but see Liverpool under Benitez. Mascherano and Alonso played the same role, allowing the rest of the team to evolve around them.

With this system, you'll need two intelligent CM and one extra AMC that has the power, skill and offensive ability to play a "free role" behind the striker. I feel that is Barkley's best position, he still is figuring it out, but he will improve. Also, our fullbacks are perfectly suited for it, Baines and Coleman bomb forward often creating danger.

So far I don't see reasons to change and there are not many CM that can play the role RM demands from them well. But for those games when the opposition does not want the ball and try to finish 0-0, the team can get more adventurous and play 4-1-4-1, just one CM and two AMC. I'd go then with Pienaar and Barkley.

I very rarely think it's them two who aren't working from what I've seen. I think our problems have been further forward and injuries behind them. I'm sure if they became a problem they would be dropped.

I agree with this.

At the end of the day bringing Barkley in to play a defensive/ball winning type role isnt going to suit him. If your going to put Barkley in there he will be given more freedom to attack and I think McCarthy can be just as influential in getting forward in that way whilst also offering more support defensively. His passing in the final third is vastly underrated IMO and he does actually try and break into the box (see Lukakus goal yesterday) where as Barkley is more of a floater.

Another thing to look at is the difference between Osman and Barkley when they play in the same role because Osman plays much deeper than Ross does. Osman is more of a true 3rd midfielder and links play better IMO, whereas Barkley is more of a second striker a lot of the time. If Barkley paid from the same type of areas as Osman we would see more runs like last night.

How many more appearances is it going to take for people to realise McCarthy is not an attacking player and never will be?

Im not saying he is going to be a number 10 but he is the perfect box to box midfielder (albeit he needs to rediscover his shooting boots).

he's never been a goal scorer.

Therefore he can't be considered as a box to box midfielder. He's also not a playmaker, hence no real attacking attributes.... Bailey keeps suggesting he thinks McCarthy will someday become a more attacking player. Which I disagree with.

How many more appearances is it going to take for people to realise McCarthy is not an attacking player and never will be?

None. Because he aint an attacking player. He has a specific job, as desribed to him by RM. And he does it. I know he does what is expected of him...because he still gets picked.

Hasn't this been had in another thread? You were flaunting for Gibson to play (when fit!) Instead?!

You just dont seem to rate McCarthy, which is fair enough, each to their own and all that.

Therefore he can't be considered as a box to box midfielder. He's also not a playmaker, hence no real attacking attributes.... Bailey keeps suggesting he thinks McCarthy will someday become a more attacking player. Which I disagree with.

Read the above article...I think RM agrees with Bailey!!!

Surprise surprise!

Of all the attributes a box to box midfielder needs, I think scoring is the least especially in a 5 man midfield. He excels in pretty much every other category and thats more than good enough for me.

Regarding goals, he scored some up in Scotland. Not prolific by any means but he showed that he can find the net from midfield which is even more impressive given his age and that he was more than likely used as a sub for a lot of those performances. Ithink I even remember Martinez saying he played wide when he came into the team and showed enough to be successful in that position.

I have never said that he will bang in the goals but I think he is one of the most clinical passers in the squad and we are at his best when he is driving the team forward.

Tell you who I would love to sign in the summer is Ki from Swansea (on loan at Sunderland). Really like him. Think he'd thrive under Martinez and a 5 million bid should get him. Great rotational option with europe as well!

Couldn't agree more. I'd probably rather get him in instead of Barry, purely because he's got a lot more years in him.