IGNORED

Gerrard views on here

Guest Nikica

Guest Nikica

I find them kinda bizarre - some people here talk about him like they're Liverpool fans. Now, I'm not saying he wasn't a very good player or that fans shouldn't rate rivals. But there's some posters on here who've bought the media hype and exaggerate his abilities as if they're Pool fans. I'd have thought that Everton fans would have a bit of resistance to the nauseating 'untouchable' status this prick has in the media.

Very good player, but some have fallen for the bollocks that he's been as good as Xavi, Iniesta, that he's carried Liverpool etc. Literally nobody on Earth outside of Liverpool fans should fall for that garbage. And that myth of Istanbul...

Peteo and blueboy are a couple of the people on here who see through Gerrard's hype. They go a bit far in the opposite direction, but the overall point is that Gerrard was never as good as the English media built him up to be, and has never been truly world-class.

Comments from the likes of Sacchi, Ferguson and Pirlo are less than complimentary and, truth be told, he'd be a failure abroad and he isn't that highly rated by continental Europe. Zidane talks him up but Zidane is a bit of a dick and - to be honest - he only started saying this shite when Gerrard played well against a poor Real Madrid team back in 2009. I've seen people say that Gerrard in his prime was viewed as a strange and baffling player in Europe because of his 'Roy of the Rovers style' - the likes of Raphael Honigstein has said that Gerrard wouldn't have got near a top class international midfield.

I think the overall issue is that Brits appreciate that running about, smacking shots, Hollywood passing shite far more than anyone else. Safe to say this is what has allowed Gerrard to prosper. If he'd been born in Spain or Italy, he wouldn't have made it to the top level. To be honest, Lampard was the more intelligent player in his prime. Is/was Gerrard the most overrated member of England's mythical 'golden generation'?

Sorry if anyone takes offence to this but the Gerrard worship in Britain is like a cult. It's borderline weird how it seems to be blasphemy to criticise him and say he was overrated, like he's beyond question. People take criticism of him really personally, as if he's some sort of superhero. He and Rooney are about the same level as players - very good, but a step or three below the very best - yet loads of people (outside the media) slate the fuck out of Wayne, talking about how overrated he is. In saying that I've saw a lot of people call Gerrard vastly overrated too, but his defenders seem to be more vociferous than Rooney's.

He just isn't/wasn't the player that people make him out to be, at all.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2010/oct/24/steven-gerrard-world-xi

All-time XI :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Edited by Nikica

He's very good at long range passing and shooting. His leadership abilities and his drive are excellent, which is probably why people overrate him.

Other than that he's good, but that's it, good. He's also a coward, a hypocrite, and although I don't know him personally everything points to him being a bit of a cunt.

Over the years I've read and heard loads of tripe about him, from people talking about him in world class terms to people suggesting he's the most likeable footballer around. If they win the league I can't imagine how unbearable it will be, St. Stevie guiding the paupers to victory through blood sweat and tears. Makes me sick.

Xavi's hair gel has got more footballing ability than Gerrard.

He's very good at long range passing and shooting. His leadership abilities and his drive are excellent, which is probably why people overrate him.

Other than that he's good, but that's it, good. He's also a coward, a hypocrite, and although I don't know him personally everything points to him being a bit of a cunt.

Over the years I've read and heard loads of tripe about him, from people talking about him in world class terms to people suggesting he's the most likeable footballer around. If they win the league I can't imagine how unbearable it will be, St. Stevie guiding the paupers to victory through blood sweat and tears. Makes me sick.

Xavi's hair gel has got more footballing ability than Gerrard.

On motd it is; in truth his accuracy is shocking.

He's been responsible for carrying that club for longer than I remember. I give respect up to a point but as Fearthainn says above it's more to do with his leadership and drive.

There's the whole one club thing that has generated this love in with the media. I knew once Fergie left that the wheels would come off at Old Trafford and I know once Gerrard goes that the wheels will come off at Anfield as well. They may have mitigated it for a while by bringing in Rogers but at what cost to their core values after all the stuff with Suarez. Not that any of them will take that on board as the whole country rejoices should they be crowned champions but the table doesn't lie and they deserve it.

For me though he has been the prime reason for our inability to beat them. He brings something else to that team when we play them and yes I'll be glad when he's gone because they won't have that to fall back on to.

The british do love the fairytale story/ending and thanks to god knows how much luck from referees over this season they'll get what they wanted. As evidence by the penalty decision against Chelsea RS don't even need to be playing to be given penalties and a helping hand. They have more than their fair share of luck.

This post could turn into more of a rant about the RS more than anything else so I'll just conclude: He ain't as good as everyone makes out (oh and he's a bit of a cunt)

For me that means having delivered on the world stage which he hasn't done.

I disagree. Would Messi be in that bracket? Because he's never done it at world level.

One of the best midfielders in "European football" which is the only club football that matters and the biggest stage.

Edited by MiguelCotto

I disagree. Would Messi be in that bracket? Because he's never done it at world level.

One of the best midfielders in "European football" which is the only club football that matters and the biggest stage.

Good point but for me the biggest stage is the world cup though. Club football for sure and unless Messi brings it in Brazil then he'll have fallen short.

Gerrard is one of the best players i've been lucky enough to see. He is one of the best midfielders in the world, still, in my opinion. The way he has adapted his game to suit the teams new style, and his leadership and responsibility are to be admired. I hate that he is a red, and has tormented us for years (his hat trick was one of the worst memories of football i have) but I cant deny his class.

also on the world stage arguement. Ronaldo and Messi have hardly lit up the world stage, compare them to Pele and Maradona and they are miles away, but in terms of ability they must match them surely? But then Ronaldo, Messi and Gerrard have all won the Champions League.

He's a very very good player. Definitely a level below Iniesta for example though, amongst others.

Regarding the 'proving it at world level' argument, which applies to other examples given of Messi, C. Ronaldo, etc. Personally I think that the business end of the champions league is unquestionably a world class stage to prove yourself on. The World Cup isn't the only bench mark of a true great, some are stuck (George Best) playing for a shit team with no hope of international glory

I would agree with you Nikica, although I would say that if world football was played the British way then he probably would be considered World Class.

In the really big games (from open play) he doesnt really show up as often as you would expect, especially at the latter end of his career. The pundits and media will always show what he has done in a match and ignore the far more important elements from less aclaimed players and in truth I think his impact from open play has been good but nothing special for most of the season. When Liverpool had their wobble, he was partly responsible by giving away cheap free kicks or losing possession in dangerous areas and I think it was when Gerrard was out that Liverpool (and Henderson in particular) stepped it up another gear and kicked on. I dont have the time to look at his stats for this year to back that up mind you and wouldnt put money on it!

Edited by Bailey

I would agree with you Nikica, although I would say that if world football was played the British way then he probably would be considered World Class.

In the really big games (from open play) he doesnt really show up as often as you would expect, especially at the latter end of his career. The pundits and media will always show what he has done in a match and ignore the far more important elements from less aclaimed players and in truth I think his impact from open play has been good but nothing special for most of the season. When Liverpool had their wobble, he was partly responsible by giving away cheap free kicks or losing possession in dangerous areas and I think it was when Gerrard was out that Liverpool (and Henderson in particular) stepped it up another gear and kicked on. I dont have the time to look at his stats for this year to back that up mind you and wouldnt put money on it!

Another waffling post...

Gerard doesn't show up in big games... Seriously think about what you have typed. It's tripe.

Another waffling post...

Gerard doesn't show up in big games... Seriously think about what you have typed. It's tripe.

I love how you slate someone elses post and then dont actually provide any reasoning or evidence. Nikica has started an interesting topic and all you come up with shite like the above post or the "Gerrards the best and if you dont agree your clueless" bollocks acting as if you are the be all and end all of football knowledge and that your opinion is all that counts and anyone who disagrees is a moron.

So in the last couple of seasons how many big games has he pulled Liverpool through to win? Im not talking about converting a penalty here or there, I mean really step up to be this World Class player that you claim he is?

There was one game this season where I thought he was really good (although I cant remember which game that was) but other than that he has just been another cog in the machine rather than the standout player. I'm not saying thats a bad thing but it doesnt make him World Class which is the point of this thread.

Out of interest, what traits do you think make Gerrard such a good player?

First of all Gerrard has been instrumental in Liverpools season. Secondly you said he doesn't turn up in big games. That's just not true.

He has a Champions League Final man of the match award. An Fa Cup Final man of the match award. He's scored numerous important goals such as a last gasp winner against Olympiakos. He has a hatrick in the merseyside Derby amongst other world class finishes against big teams.

For me Nikica seems to have an agend against anythin English because he's Scottish. Just my opinion. Gerrard is world class.

Edited by MiguelCotto

First of all Gerrard has been instrumental in Liverpools season. Secondly you said he doesn't turn up in big games. That's just not true.

He has a Champions League Final man of the match award. An Fa Cup Final man of the match award. He's scored numerous important goals such as a last gasp winner against Olympiakos. He has a hatrick in the merseyside Derby amongst other world class finishes against big teams.

For me Nikica seems to have an agend against anythin English because he's Scottish. Just my opinion. Gerrard is world class.

Not as instrumental as others though. He has been important and his set piece ability and leadership has been influential but he hasnt been their catalyst, at least not in the games I have seen of him. If you read my post back, you will see that I have also said recently, not throughout his career, mainly because I cant remember too many games from more than two or three seasons ago.

I couldnt give a fuck if he has been given MOTM awards because they are heavily skewed by goals and towards popular players. He scores some great goals, I dont deny that, but how much of an impact on the game did he have before that? From previous posts I know that you seem to purely rate players on their goals and assists so in that respect I guess it explains why you put Gerrard in that bracket.

I dont think its primarily an English thing with Nikica from what I have read, its more of his appreciation of technical players as opposed to the traditional all action British style footballer. Thats why I said in my original post that if we comparing Gerrards abilities purely to the English game then you wouldnt see too many disagree that he has been one of the most influential players under those conditions. However if you took him abroad to the Spanish or Italian leagues, his skillset would be far less valuable and I dont know whether he would even be rated as one of the 10 best midfielders in that league. Its probably one of the main reasons, barely any big European teams have ever come sniffing for the likes of Gerrard/Rooney/Lampard because technically they arent the type of players that you would expect to thrive in those type of leagues, at least not to the level they do over here.

I recognize Gerrard as a fine, inspirational leader figure, that can motivate players and has been essentially, the engine room of the Liverpool side. Reminds you of Graeme Souness so often in that they were both top quality midfield players and ideal choices for captaincy and taking the said team to honors and other achievements.

Don't like the individual in all truth, but credit where it's due, he's been a fucking good player for them over the last fifteen or so years and largely responsible for some of the clubs most recent achievements. Pity (for the english) that he can't replicate his often fine domestic form on to the international scene, but that aside, got to admit, he's been a class figure for Liverpool going back far enough. Not quite on a plateau yet with past names like Hunt, Yeats, Dalglish, Rush etc in terms of legendary status, but closing in for sure.

Guest Nikica

Anyone who thinks Gerrard hasn't been one of the best midfielders of his generation is clueless.

Sacchi, Pirlo, Ferguson and numerous people from abroad then? More like anyone who thinks he has been one of the best mfs of his generation is clueless. He doesn't even do what a proper CM should do, his best ever season came as a British style trequartista ffs...But then we all know your views on him.

You're giving Gerrard wayyy too much credit by treating him as a litmus test of who's knowledgeable and who isn't. Try watching some football outside of England please.

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

"He has a Champions League Final man of the match award. "

He should never have won that - it was hype. He spent the entire first half being played off the park then Hamann came on to shore up the midfield. You don't understand midfield play.

It's quite telling how the good posters such as Bailey and Romey agree with me.

Yet the little-Englanders such as Cotto and Blue 250 (the latter whom doesn't even make an attempt to argue his points, just make statements) think I'm wrong.

Very telling...

I'd love to know which players you think are overrated - probably players who are far better than Gerrard.

"Nikica has started an interesting topic and all you come up with shite like the above post or the "Gerrards the best and if you dont agree your clueless"

The irony being he sent me a message telling me I am a great poster. Now he thinks I'm clueless because I don't rate Gerrard as world-class :rofl:

Wish he'd make up his mind.

"For me Nikica seems to have an agend against anythin English because he's Scottish"

Untrue. I am not the patriotic type - it's the last refuge of the scoundrel.

I will indulge your pseudo psychology and adjust your quote for accuracy though:

"Nikcia seems to have an agenda against many (many, not any) things English because their clueless media promotes the players as far better than they are, as well as disrespecting foreign football with their constant 'EPL is da bestest leave eva and others leagues are shit' nonsense. That's why I enjoy seeing England lose - the media and players/coaches/pundits lack of humility.

"I dont think its primarily an English thing with Nikica from what I have read, its more of his appreciation of technical players as opposed to the traditional all action British style footballer. Thats why I said in my original post that if we comparing Gerrards abilities purely to the English game then you wouldnt see too many disagree that he has been one of the most influential players under those conditions. However if you took him abroad to the Spanish or Italian leagues, his skillset would be far less valuable and I dont know whether he would even be rated as one of the 10 best midfielders in that league. Its probably one of the main reasons, barely any big European teams have ever come sniffing for the likes of Gerrard/Rooney/Lampard because technically they arent the type of players that you would expect to thrive in those type of leagues, at least not to the level they do over here."

Precisely. Obviously you're not as convincing as Cotto and Blue though, what with their non-backed up statements.

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

Nik, you opened a thread to get people's opinions. You shouldn't belittle those who disagree with you.

Deeps breaths now everyone....

I'm belittling people who said anyone who doesn't think Gerrard is world-class is clueless. They belittled those of us on the other side of the argument first. How can anyone think Gerrard is on the level of a Xavi, Pirlo, Iniesta, Nedved etc?

I knew the likes of Cotto and Blue would reply like that. They're both incapable of putting across an argument - they just make statements with zero effort to argue their case.

Edited by Nikica