IGNORED

Martinez signs new contract

Louis

Guest millwallforever

Excellent point!

:rofl:

What people forget is that a football manager thinks no differently than the average bloke on craigslist.

I just looked in the classifieds: "used Ford Fiesta, phenomenal engine, incredible power." It's how you justify the selling price.

Would you buy if it read "always in the shop, constantly going in the wrong direction"?

Edited by millwallforever

No the problem with Lukaku is that every fan in denial believes that we are one good game away from curing him of being a shite footballer. It then lends itself to the style of play being wrong and all sorts of crap that just doesn't make sense.

Top and bottom is that you sacrifice any footballing logic in favour of supporting exciting players opposed to appreciating a quality team player.

I like match winners, someone with something a little different. The problem I have with McCarthy and the general Evertonian is they act like he's just that. He's a good player and I see his job. Against Lille he was excellent and he did stand out. But what he offers doesn't interest me in the terms of labelling him a "superstar" for me he's limited.

I like match winners, someone with something a little different. The problem I have with McCarthy and the general Evertonian is they act like he's just that. He's a good player and I see his job. Against Lille he was excellent and he did stand out. But what he offers doesn't interest me in the terms of labelling him a "superstar" for me he's limited.

So what you are saying the problem isn't McCarthy it's you.

It's like refusing to accept Queen were a great band because you didn't like their brand of music. You know that they are talented but it just isn't to your taste.

Problem is you are gonna look like a knob telling everyone that Status Quo are awesome and Queen are crap.

So what you are saying the problem isn't McCarthy it's you.

It's like refusing to accept Queen were a great band because you didn't like their brand of music. You know that they are talented but it just isn't to your taste.

Problem is you are gonna look like a knob telling everyone that Status Quo are awesome and Queen are crap.

Basically I think we lack creativity in midfield or a thinker... No problem McCarthy playing I prefer him to Barry. But the two combined gives us a real lack of penetration in the final 3rd.

Basically I think we lack creativity in midfield or a thinker... No problem McCarthy playing I prefer him to Barry. But the two combined gives us a real lack of penetration in the final 3rd.

Yeah that was always the problem with Claude Makelele. He might have been a really big player if He..... Oh hold on.

Have to take issue with that. Queen not my sort of thing at all but I was at Live Aid in 1985 and their set was the most brilliant piece of live music I've ever experienced.

But back to Roberto, I'm keeping out of it.

I was 9 and I remember that day so well. They were awesome.

Hairs on the back of my neck time every time I watch it back; amazes me to think that one of the people contributing (microscopically) to the atmosphere is me is unbelievable.

Anyway, how about those shoes?

I remember rumours that the Beatles would reunite at the end for a few songs with Julian Lennon singing.

In Brown shoes!

I think he will do similar to Moyes, get a CL qualification, have some up years some down. I do believe unlike Moyes he will get us a trophy though. Then he will be off in 5 years to someone else.

I think he's a good manager, so was Moyes. I don't think he's the second coming of cruyff but I think he's good. Barely into the second year, let's give it a little time, impatient some of you, 5 year deal ain't even half through.

I remember rumours that the Beatles would reunite at the end for a few songs with Julian Lennon singing.

In Brown shoes!

I had a massive migraine by the end of it tbh, suffered badly back then, so the last bits were lost on me. Worst of it was when I woke up the next day my brother had been short on videos to record it all so had deleted my '84 cup final vid, still not forgiven him :shaking fist:.

Guest millwallforever

I had a massive migraine by the end of it tbh, suffered badly back then, so the last bits were lost on me. Worst of it was when I woke up the next day my brother had been short on videos to record it all so had deleted my '84 cup final vid, still not forgiven him :shaking fist:.

I had spent four years recording tidbits on Everton from different television networks...I was so proud of my collection. Then my toddler brother had this great idea: pull the whole fckin reel out of the VHS-cassette. I had also completed the 1986 world cup stickers album; he tore that one to pieces as well. I left the country in 2006; upon returning I discovered that he had sold off my CD-collection. :crying:

I just looked in the classifieds: "used Ford Fiesta, phenomenal engine, incredible power." It's how you justify the selling price.

Would you buy if it read "always in the shop, constantly going in the wrong direction"?

No, I would not. However, you'll not be entirely surprised that I am reluctant to concede the validity of your analogy.

For, my suggestion of what RM might more straightforwardly have said included the complimentary words, "strong" and "wonderful." True, I thought RM might simply have noted that Gibson was not consistently at his wonderful best at Sunderland, but I definitely didn't recommend that RM tell the whole truth: that, alas, Gibson is "always in the shop."

Guest millwallforever

Whether we like it or not...football is a limited topic. The same questions week in and week out from journalists notorious for tearing things out of context with a view to manufacturing strife. The best strategy in terms of dealing with these sharks is to always remain positive; mechanically repeat platitiudes to keep the bastards at bay. Rather be overly positive than ambivalent in such a way that the journalists find some thumbscrew to turn. Martinez handles media better than any manager in the league because he is the cleverest guy in the class. The fans need to understand that talking to the press is a mere ritual devoid of actual content. Of course, Martinez could take the journalists for a ride like a Mourinho, but Martinez is simply not that kind of guy. Deal with it.

No, I would not. However, you'll not be entirely surprised that I am reluctant to concede the validity of your analogy.

For, my suggestion of what RM might more straightforwardly have said included the complimentary words, "strong" and "wonderful." True, I thought RM might simply have noted that Gibson was not consistently at his wonderful best at Sunderland, but I definitely didn't recommend that RM tell the whole truth: that, alas, Gibson is "always in the shop."

Whether we like it or not...football is a limited topic. The same questions week in and week out from journalists notorious for tearing things out of context with a view to manufacturing strife. The best strategy in terms of dealing with these sharks is to always remain positive; mechanically repeat platitiudes to keep the bastards at bay. Rather be overly positive than ambivalent in such a way that the journalists find some thumbscrew to turn. Martinez handles media better than any manager in the league because he is the cleverest guy in the class. The fans need to understand that talking to the press is a mere ritual devoid of actual content. Of course, Martinez could take the journalists for a ride like a Mourinho, but Martinez is simply not that kind of guy. Deal with it.

Although "Deal with it" is uncharacteristicly churlish, the remainder of your post makes really good points [and I'm being serious, not churlish]: sharks manufacturing strife, platitudes for the bastards, thumbscrew turners, contentless ritual.

To be clear, I wouldn't want RM to adopt Mourinho's snarky interview personality. Despite my irritation at his incessant fluffery, you and others are undoubtedly right that the scribes are looking for a thumbscrew story. I've no idea whether RM's the cleverest, but he's the sunniest, and it's mostly refreshing. As you suggest, he's sort of an anti-Mourinho.

And to repeat a point that originally led me to comment on RM, he's so engaging and plain interesting as a football analyst that it's too bad the interview game is so shallow. Because Roberto isn't.

Guest millwallforever

Sorry, that "deal with it" part was not aimed at you, but at those grumpy ones who complain that Martinez is not grumpy like them whenever we have failed to achieve the desired outcome to a game. Martinez interacts with the fans like none before him; this has its pitfalls: show your face too much and people will grow tired of it. I for one appreciate what he is doing for our club. He is young, he is smart, he has academic credentials...this guy knows what he is doing. We should be grateful for having a guy like that in charge. Too many self-obsessed bimbos in the managerial game: Ian Holloway, Gordon Strachan, Harry Redknapp will give you entertainment during the press conferences, if that's what you want, but I'm as little interested in the smalltalk of these guys as I am in the clowns creating hullaballoo in Sky's studio.

Although "Deal with it" is uncharacteristicly churlish, the remainder of your post makes really good points [and I'm being serious, not churlish]: sharks manufacturing strife, platitudes for the bastards, thumbscrew turners, contentless ritual.

To be clear, I wouldn't want RM to adopt Mourinho's snarky interview personality. Despite my irritation at his incessant fluffery, you and others are undoubtedly right that the scribes are looking for a thumbscrew story. I've no idea whether RM's the cleverest, but he's the sunniest, and it's mostly refreshing. As you suggest, he's sort of an anti-Mourinho.

And to repeat a point that originally led me to comment on RM, he's so engaging and plain interesting as a football analyst that it's too bad the interview game is so shallow. Because Roberto isn't.

Gonna have to agree with MC on this one.

I think McCarthy is a savage of a player and will turn out to be a top player. But having two solid defensive players back there means we are really lacking that penetrating pass.

Answer...Besic.

This player can learn to tackle, pass, has an engine and just needs guiding the right way.

Gonna have to agree with MC on this one.

I think McCarthy is a savage of a player and will turn out to be a top player. But having two solid defensive players back there means we are really lacking that penetrating pass.

Answer...Besic.

This player can learn to tackle, pass, has an engine and just needs guiding the right way.

If we didn't have two defensive midfielders then Baines and Coleman wouldn't be able to bomb on like they do and so we would lose more creativity than we gain

Guest millwallforever

If we didn't have two defensive midfielders then Baines and Coleman wouldn't be able to bomb on like they do and so we would lose more creativity than we gain

Chelsea played with two defensive midfielders against Liverpool: Matic and Ramires. They completely neutralised Liverpool and should have won with a margin of 3-4 goals.

This has also been done to death tbh the wing backs etc and I agree to an extent.

What is the harm though in adding a player who can go both ways? Do both plays have to be limited going forward?

Chelsea played with two defensive midfielders against Liverpool: Matic and Ramires. They completely neutralised Liverpool and should have won with a margin of 3-4 goals.

Ramirez is box to box though. He's a completely different animal to both McCarthy and Barry he can go both ways.

Guest millwallforever

I've said since he signed that Besic and McCarthy are our future pairing. Even more reason why Barry should be rotated a fair bit this season; getting Besic settled in.

Amen to that.

I've said since he signed that Besic and McCarthy are our future pairing. Even more reason why Barry should be rotated a fair bit this season; getting Besic settled in.

Spot on. Besic has, although unrefined, the passing ability of Gibson, aggression required to be a DCM but engine to be a box to box which I think is what MC is getting at. However, if we have a box to box, one of the FB will suffer, its just the nature of the formation and the way we play.

Alternatively, we could stick to playing Barkley in the middle and let him drop deep when needed, box-to-box mid (yes, I know MC, I'm going to agree) but without the defensive duties.

McCarthy Besic

Barkley

:)

Ramirez is box to box though. He's a completely different animal to both McCarthy and Barry he can go both ways.

not sure what his bedroom antics have to do with the debate, but ok :P

Edited by Matt

Guest millwallforever

McCarthy Besic

Barkley

:)

Holy Trinity, Triumvirate, Trimurti, Trismegistus...call it whatever you like, but this central midfield sure looks good.

Holy Trinity, Triumvirate, Trimurti, Trismegistus...call it whatever you like, but this central midfield sure looks good.

Getting a bit ahead of ourselves there, only time would tell. But considering the age range is 20-23, and maybe wishful thinking here, but there is a potential quality midfield trio for a decade.

Hey, I can dream :)