IGNORED

Martinez signs new contract

Louis

I've just edited the initial post, I didn't see reply when I did it.

When he first came it was a four year contract. Minus one year for the season we've had leaves three years to go. Today he signs a 5 year contract so in effect a two year extension.

I really like the quote from Bill Kenwright: “In many commentators’ eyes, Roberto Martinez is the best young manager in Europe. We agree. He took on an unfamiliar challenge for most managers - to take something really good and make it even better. He has succeeded. In his debut season, he broke our Premier League record points haul, got us back into Europe, and developed some of the most exciting young footballers in the game. He conducts himself off the pitch in the same way. He undertakes his business with great style, confidence, positivity, and class. He is an Everton man."

I just knew before we signed him that he really was the man for Everton. Special managers can define clubs far more than any one player ever could.

Too many thought he was some gung ho delusioned manager just obsessed with pretty football. I looked at what he was trying to do with players less technically capable than our own and he actually mmade them look better players. With Moyes watching Everton was like being at the airport waiting to go on holiday to the carribean with a group of boring sods, you look over at the happy cheery family who are off to Majorca and kinda wish yhou were with them.

Psychologically he is a genius - he makes players want him to succeed, he makes them feel a part of something even if not playing, look at Oviedo, Naismith, Gerry, McGeady - all had big stints on the bench but came in with a brilliant attitude to help the team out. Some managers don't get that from their players - there is a divide. He cultures atogetherness with a large number of players, Moyes did this better with a resatricted group - more siege mentality.

Moyes worked well with a siege mentality thats all and well - it relates to the feeling of defiance whilst being oppressed, however it leaves the players believing that they are actually lesser and have something to prove.

Martinez works with "Sin Miedo" - without fear.... arrogance, as if to say "who do you think you are? - lets see how you like a bit of this" its infectious.

It would be very interesting to see how he would manager this England Squad, more to the point I kinda wish he was as a "favour" and then returns back to us...

Best news of the summer. He deserves it and I think if we are giving new deals to players with extra wages and length of contract its only right that we tie Roberto up.

• 4 months later...

Today is Roberto's 200th Premier League start as a manager. How does this compare with other current managers in the league? Does anybody know?

Found this (click on it to expand), a bit out of date because Bobby's down at 190 games, quick scan down the list I'd say there are around 25/30 who have more games that that.

http://www.barriesview.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/premier-league-manager-statistics.png

Found this (click on it to expand), a bit out of date because Bobby's down at 190 games, quick scan down the list I'd say there are around 25/30 who have more games that that.

http://www.barriesview.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/premier-league-manager-statistics.png

Based on these numbers and adjusting for this season, he's sixth among current managers:

686 Wenger

628 Redknapp

409 Allerdyce

364 Bruce

220 Pardew

200 Martinez

Edited by Cornish Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Imported these from the Sunderland thread, as there's a lively debate about RM over there, but maybe it belongs here.

Martinez has made some shocking decisions this season and got plenty wrong yet no one seens to question him cos it's Bobby lad isn't it. So most blame Lukaku because he's being asked to play a role that he doesn't excel in. If you listen to most you'd think Lukaku was playing that way just because he decides to and not because Martinez is telling him to.

Just pisses me off the way he can do no wrong in some fans eyes yet players who play in his formations and to his asking do. The Palace game epitomises Martinez. Losing 2-1 and he takes a right back and centre half off puts 2 forwards on and drops both his holding midfielders into the 2 vacant positions. What fucking planet is he on to think that would work? Yet because it's "bobby" (I cringe when our fans call him that) then it's accepted.

Cons:-

• annoying with positivity when we have played poor
  • £28m on Lukaku
  • Poor pre season prep this year
  • unable to get us playing to any consistent and quick tempo

Overall I think he's good...

Acknowledging that hafnia also listed the pros, I focus on the cons, as this season's problems raise legitimate questions.

When Moyes was stalling on a new contract, I told the friend (Wigan-born, now in US) whose lifelong devotion to Everton led to my Everton-fanaticism that I hoped RM would be Moyes's successor. I knew little of RM's Wigan years, so my initial assessment of him came entirely from his 2010 WC commentary on US tv. Fast-forward to his superb first season here, and then he shows up again on ESPN as easily their best 2014 WC analyst, more detailed insights on numerous teams, players, formations, strategies.

However, because he wasn't discussing Everton, his commentary, though unfailingly upbeat, was the opposite of annoying; it was straightforward, confident, pointed, informative. Best I can tell, everyone in the US loved hearing Roberto's stuff. Felt truly informed by his expertise, not to mention charmed by his smile and warmth. Including me.

Not so much these days, when he discusses Everton. To be fair, he does seem a genuinely upbeat fellow. But he lapses into a set of cliches, favorite fluff expressions. Is it fair to say he dissembles a bit more than necessary? Would the fluff be a lot less irritating if we were 4th or 5th in the table?

For that matter, would we be sitting at 4/5 if all these ghastly injuries weren't plaguing our season, and Roberto's squad plans? Surely the succession of injuries plays some (major?) role in what hafnia notes - and what I will guess is a dominant concern among virtually all posters - as the inconsistency in tempo, and overall performance.

Getting to 4th by season's end, perfectly possible, just now doesn't feel perfectly likely. And winning either the Europa League or the FA Cup entails a long road. So I find myself already thinking that the real - fair? - test will come in RM's 3d and 4th seasons. I think - and here I will adopt hafnia's subtle punch line - he has a multi-year plan...

Guest millwallforever

To put things into perspective: visit the fan forums of teams such as Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester City, and Spurs. You will find that all of these teams have plenty of fans with their fangs in attack mode. Heck, there are still West Ham fans crying for Big Sam's blood, despite their impressive run.

Martinez is the best man for this job. Yes, I do disagree with many of his tactical choices, but the way I see it, this is still very much a transitional period. Playing football the continental way will require lots of hard work before it becomes part and parcel of our nature. We are not there yet. Our current style of play comes across as overly rigorous precisely because it has not been internalised by all the players and also because we do not always dispose of player material capable of adapting to a Roberto's style of play. Those who fail to adapt will eventually have to make way for others.

Edited by millwallforever

Here's an example of Roberto-fluff that is just silly.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2014/11/10/gibson-fitness-pleases-martinez

"But we have seen today [sunday] that he [Gibson] is a phenomenal passer of the ball. He has got incredible technical ability...."

I like Gibson, a lot. But is his passing "phenomenal"? Is his technical ability "incredible"?

And did we see anything phenomenal or incredible from Gibson against Sunderland? [Apart from one incredibly bad touch that nearly gifted Sunderland a goal.]

RM seems incapable of saying, "Darron possesses strong technical ability and produces wonderful passes. Today we didn't see his very best, as he'd be the first to say, but as he regains his form we will all see what a good footballer he is."

"But we have seen today [sunday] that he [Gibson] is a phenomenal passer of the ball. He has got incredible technical ability...."

I like Gibson, a lot. But is his passing "phenomenal"? Is his technical ability "incredible"?

And did we see anything phenomenal or incredible from Gibson against Sunderland? [Apart from one incredibly bad touch that nearly gifted Sunderland a goal.]

RM seems incapable of saying, "Darron possesses strong technical ability and produces wonderful passes. Today we didn't see his very best, as he'd be the first to say, but as he regains his form we will all see what a good footballer he is."

Didn't see the game but according to Sqwarka Gibson had 94% pass completion.

Didn't see the game but according to Sqwarka Gibson had 94% pass completion.

I admit I'm surprised, because my own impression as the match went on was that Gibson uncharacteristically gave the ball away several times. I thought his passing was rather more uncertain than in an earlier match this season. He looked to be struggling to keep up the final 20 minutes.

But I'm willing to be corrected. Maybe others who saw the match can comment.

Guest millwallforever

All managers talk shite. if you want profundity, read a good book. This is football...calculated tripe is being peddled. If it pisses you off, you might be taking things too seriously. I watch no press conference with no manager.

Edited by millwallforever

Sometimes people are just looking for the faults in players. I reckon this happened with Gibson because I was bigging him up against Lille. Unless sqwarka is wrong he had the second best pass completion of the game after Baines who had 95%

Edited by MC11