IGNORED

Jagielka

MC11

This is tough, because Jags is a great defender. But, he has had a tough time fitting in to the new style of play. He isn't the most comfortable defender I've ever seen, and his passing is often suspect. Consequently, unless we are playing a team that is dominating us, allowing Jags to do what he does and save our asses, I'm somewhat frustrated by him. Stones is the right "type" of player for his position in our system.

We should start the season with Distin and Jags, and then let Stones battle a healthy Jags for his place in the team. We will find a way to make it work. This wouldn't be so difficult had Moyes not made Jags captain. Curse you, Davey!!!!

Ideally I think Martinez would like to bring Stones on further and deep down he's having to save face because Jagielka has been immense for us for a long time. Like you say the captaincy thing doesn't help at all and I think behind the scenes he's a great leader and good for the dressing room.

Whilst I think they could play together I don't think it's the best partnership.

He's still our number one centre back. Suarez has skinned the likes of terry & kompany in our time. Truelly great defenders. Jags hasn't lost anything. Suarez is just unplayable!

Where the hell has Suarez come in to all this?

MC great topic I've been debating this one back and forth in my head for a while. Ultimately I agree with you, Stones is better, younger and the future and should be starting. I think a 3 player rotation might be more of what we see next year with all the Cup games and Europa stuff. Plus we don't know if Distin will finally hit the wall with his age this year, so it could be Jags and Stones with Distin as relief.

Another controversial one for ya's.

I'd put him behind Stones and Distin in pecking order.

To some extent, I do agree, although we'll need a replacement for Distin in place, too. The main issue is, perhaps, the fact that he's our captain. It's not easy to start benching the captain, and it would be humiliating to Jagielka to strip him of the captain's role.

Edited by Cornish Steve

Guest blueboy122

Either way the point still stands , Jagielka is our best CB

Agreed. This forum really has accumulated some sceptics over the years.

Guest Nikica

He's a good defender. I think a big problem is that he doesn't have experience at CL level or in international tournaments. He doesn't have many England appearances even outwith tournaments, does he? I'm too tired to google it.

He's not great on the ball but he has improved in that aspect under Martinez, so credit to him for that. I do think he's a good player overall.

Edited by Nikica

Guest blueboy122

He's a good defender. I think a big problem is that he doesn't have experience at CL level or in international tournaments. He doesn't have many England appearances even outwith tournaments, does he? I'm too tired to google it.

He's not great on the ball but he has improved in that aspect under Martinez, so credit to him for that. I do think he's a good player overall.

Exactly he obviously is a great defender and has and is brilliant for us. But agree he doesn't have that elite experience gained in champions league and international football which puts him in that tier below the likes of John Terry and other top world class defenders.

Guest blueboy122

Jags is going nowhere. At least not for a season or two. This is among the silliest of the silly season threads.

Exactly.

Jags is so important to our team and to our club and we would be fools to think 8M would replace what he brings.

Guest Nikica

Exactly he obviously is a great defender and has and is brilliant for us. But agree he doesn't have that elite experience gained in champions league and international football which puts him in that tier below the likes of John Terry and other top world class defenders.

Yep. I think he's made a few mistakes in this tournament which he wouldn't make at PL level - probably because he doesn't quite have the experience. But then lots of players don't have experience at this level and have defended excellently (see Iran just moments ago), so it's not always an absolute statement. But not playing at that level consistently does seem to have affected Jagielka in the tournament.

I think we are in a great position next season at CB.

Having Stones, Jags and Peter Pan, I mean Distin, all available is brill.

There should be no question of which one starts ahead of the other because with our extended fixture list all 3 are going to be pivotal in our success.

Guest Nikica

Exactly. It's a squad game anyway - players will be fit at different times, face suspensions, different tactics etc. You really need 4 CBs in your squad in modern football. They'll all play their part.

Jags is still one of the best CB's in the premiership and a real important member of our team.

To let him go would be crazy. You don't make much cash on defenders anyway once they pass 30 so even if we brought a young CB in, he would be invaluable in helping them through.