IGNORED

Expectations for next season

MC11

I fear that we are no better than last year (arguably worse with no Dela) and that other trams have moved on.

At least Dela was a player that could do something out of nothing. What options do we have now if we are struggling to break a stubborn defence? Possibly Atsu although I've no idea what he is like?

Or what happens if Lukau gets injured?

I think Besic will be great but I don't think he's going to add goals. Hopefully he will push up our pace of play though.

I'm going 7th unless we sign some flair before the window closes.

On the upside, Barkley, Stones, McCarthy and Lukaku all have another year of experience under their belts which should make them better.

Miralles needs a big season I fear.

I fear that we are no better than last year (arguably worse with no Dela) and that other trams have moved on.

At least Dela was a player that could do something out of nothing. What options do we have now if we are struggling to break a stubborn defence? Possibly Atsu although I've no idea what he is like?

I think Besic will be great but I don't think he's going to add goals. Hopefully he will push up our pace of play though.

On the upside, Barkley, Stones, McCarthy and Lukaku all have another year of experience under their belts which should make them better.

Strange comments and pessimism considering the transfer window we've had!

Dela was an unknow quantity when we got him, so is Atsu, so we've replaced like with like in that respect. Whether he is a "success" (which Gerry wasnt for me, not really. That said he wasn't unsuccessful either) remains to be seen.

We've increased CDM, we've reinforced the wing, we've got a lot of people coming back from injury that we missed for most of last season. We are in a much stronger position now!

Fucking hell mate, I'm really annoyed that we're no stronger than last year (Besic excluded) but I don't think it's as bad as all that.. I also think 5th-7th but I also think we had an exceptionally good season last year and it was a bit of a freak.

I'm not disappointed about Gerrard D going, least of all because I can never remember how to spell his fucking name but also I think he was a liability for the second half of the season, strolling round like he couldn't be arsed shoulders slumped etc. i think Atsu will blow him out the water performance wise and if we could just get a back up striker in and a bit of cover at right back I think we'll be sound.

We're still another real quality striker, attacking mid and winger away from top 4 but we can challenge for 5th without a doubt.

"Realistically, the chances of Everton breaking up the top six again are pretty remote (though not impossible) so silverware should be the aim for Roberto Martinez"

While in the real real world the bookies have us at about 13/8 to finish top six, so a long way from a remote chance.

Fucking hell mate, I'm really annoyed that we're no stronger than last year (Besic excluded) but I don't think it's as bad as all that.. I also think 5th-7th but I also think we had an exceptionally good season last year and it was a bit of a freak.

I'm not disappointed about Gerrard D going, least of all because I can never remember how to spell his fucking name but also I think he was a liability for the second half of the season, strolling round like he couldn't be arsed shoulders slumped etc. i think Atsu will blow him out the water performance wise and if we could just get a back up striker in and a bit of cover at right back I think we'll be sound.

We're still another real quality striker, attacking mid and winger away from top 4 but we can challenge for 5th without a doubt.

Honestly mate I don't get the Deulofeu bashing. He was 19 and ripping seasoned Premiership pro's apart. He was brilliant. Edited by MiguelCotto

Honestly mate I don't get the Deulofeu bashing. He was 19 and ripping seasoned Premiership pro's apart. He was brilliant.

He showed flashes of brilliance and could have the world at his feet but he looked like he couldn't wait to fuck off home latter part of the season . He hardly set the world alight did he. Great in flashes and that's down to his age but he did look like he wanted out towards the end.

Guest blueboy122

Honestly mate I don't get the Deulofeu bashing. He was 19 and ripping seasoned Premiership pro's apart. He was brilliant.

Ripping seasoned pro's apart?

Hardly he was a one trick pony and many defenders he played against had the reading of him after 10 minutes.

As an impact sub against tired legs he was effective.

He was nowhere near brilliant in my book. Spent half the time slumping round trying to do a million step overs in our box.

He had a positive impact in a small handful of games.

Far from brilliant for me.

Hardly he was a one trick pony and many defenders he played against had the reading of him after 10 minutes.

He was nowhere near brilliant in my book. Spent half the time slumping round trying to do a million step overs in our box.

That pretty much sums it up for me. Small flashes of brilliance ( Goal against Arsenal sticks out) but most of the time his shoulders were slumped and head bowed and the longer the season went on the worse he got.

Neville Southall gives his thoughts:

http://blog.paddypower.com/2014/08/15/neville-southall-everton-are-building-well-but-wont-repeat-success-of-last-season/

Everton won’t do as well this season as we did last season. The teams around us have spent big money and we’re still short in a couple of places, particularly the strikers. It’s a good squad, but with a European campaign to play, you worry about depth. City, Chelsea, Liverpool, United and Arsenal have all spent heavily and that doesn’t leave much room in the Top Six. We’ll play our usual brand of exciting football, but with the others all strengthening to the extent they have, it’ll be difficult to have the same impact we did last year.

There’s expectations about a top four finish and Champions League football, but that’s beyond us. If Liverpool don’t replace Suarez properly, Arsenal defensive problems continue to get exposed or van Gaal takes time to get it right at Old Trafford, then it’s possible, but there’s a lot of doubt in there. People might be upset if we don’t break into the top four, but we’re really up against it.

His goal against Arsenal was very impressive. Not many would have scored that. He was so quick-thinking and took his shot early. He's young, and he was playing in the BPL for the first time. Personally, I thought he did well and met expectations.