IGNORED

Expectations for next season

MC11

I know it's early doors and we're yet to sign but based on last years finish where do you expect us to finish?

Taking into account situations at other clubs around us.

For me I think we're going to have a tough season and I don't expect a higher finish than 6th.

We have a good side, with good young players. Without proper investment in the squad (quality) I don't see us breaking the top 4

I'm willing to predict, because it's more about strategy than players - just like a business is more about strategy than employees. Not that players aren't important, but a team can meet its target with any of a number of player combinations.

I would guess that the strategy this year is mostly consolidation: achieving the same finish as last year (5th) but with the added load of the Europa League. In addition, maybe the team will push strongly for silverware of some sort, no matter which cup it is.

Anything above 5th place would certainly exceed my expectations. No playing in Europe the following season would be a disappointment.

Entirely dependent on how the transfer window goes. Europa will obviously be more of a burden on the squad but top 6 would be my league expectation. A good cup run and if we do go out at least make it a loss with our strongest team and with a bit of luck a good luck an extended trip around Europe.

I'm worried Mcgeady is going to be put in the 15 minute player bracket.

I think he will turn out to be an absolute gem of a player. Even though he wasn't fit when he played for us he looked unbelievably fast over 10 yards and his feet will cause trouble. I was really impressed with him. A full pre season should get the best from him.

I'm not sure. Patches of brilliance but a floater and any real lack of end product.

That for me is what he had been associated with at Celtic. For me I think you will find that the move to Russia and back here will have given him the maturity he needed. At 28 I expect to see his decision making be a lot better. In a way he is like an older version of Gerry Deulofeu. These types of players take a little longer to swap impulsiveness with wisdom because they have so much skill.

He can be an absolute gem of a player, i'm absolutely convinced by that.

Similar to last season for me, baseline minimum acceptable (or thinkable) is seventh, irrespective of who we bring in.

If you look at what the bookies think then you have the obvious five at the top, then us and Spurs battling for sixth (Spurs favourites) and everyone else nowhere (Betfair are actually offering a "without big seven" market which I suppose is something of a compliment).

So to progress from last year we need to beat Spurs and two of the other five which will obviously be difficult but, again looking at the bookies, we are priced at around 6/7-1 for a top four finish so they at least don't think it's impossible. I think it's unlikely though sadly.

Good season for me would be to be still up there challenging come March/April, again matching and beating the "big" clubs home and away, winning at least one derby (pleeeeeaaasse) and a deep run in Europe, hopefully all the way to Warsaw for the final :). League Cup can be a write and just have to see how the FA Cup goes.

I'll answer this one on the 1st September....

Barry signing is a great example of why waiting until all deals are done. Whilst I may not feel we're going to win the league, I'm more assured of our squad so already feeling more positive :)

6th for me if it's an underwhelming transfer window, possibly 5th if there are some exciting additions. I think we'll finish above Spurs, but I think LVG will unfortunately sort MU out and we will finish below them, Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal no matter what happens. Hopefully finish about the RS; but it could all come down to forwards - them losing Janet Street-Porter's love child and us signing a good one.

Whatever happens I'm hoping for a great cup run, and also a great run in the Europa.

All depends who we get in the transfer window. Signing Barry on a permanent deal is helpful. It is going to be harder this year as not only do you have Spurs to deal with you also have United who have spent a fair bit of money.

If Gibbo and Kone become fit then it will be like having 2 new signings. Kone is a good player and if he can stay fit then he is going to score goals. Everton need a winger also somebody who can take on players. I realize we have McGeady, Mirallas, Pienaar and if need be Naismith can drop on the wing. (Even though it isn't his preffered place) but we need a pacy, skillful winger. It is a shame we couldn't of got Gerry for another year!

Anyway back on topic, the way we played last year was great. We aren't going to drop that style even with different players. Top 6 finish! :)

Realistically, after expected summer signings of depth and top striker, I believe top 6 and europa cup quarters would be an outstanding season. Personally, I would love to win the FA Cup more than Europa Cup or top 4 finish.

Chelsea, City, Utd are almost guaranteed to finish ahead of us with Arsenal also significant favorites. That leaves a seemingly Suarez-less Liverpool, Tottenham and Everton to fight for two places. From 2010-2013 the Europa League has been won by Atl. Mad twice, Porto, Chelsea and Sevilla. While I would put Everton on Sevilla's level/caliber I think expecting a Europa League final is simply naive at this point.

Now the dreamer in me can certainly see a scenario where we accomplish two out of the following three: Top 4 finish, FA Cup Final, Europa League Final

I'm pretty optimistic, realistically so, I think; but then I haven't suffered with Everton for as long or as intensely as have many of you. I don't frequent sports pubs much, so I'm not dealing with Liverpool jerks, ever. I guess I can "afford" to be optimistic, as I'm pretty isolated.

Having said that, I look at our squad, and see a good amount of talent, and emerging depth. Happy to be corrected on any of this.

Obviously we need 2 more strikers, one or both of which who look better than Kone and Naismith. With our squad right now, not enough goals.

But at almost every other position, surely there are reasons for some confidence.

In a 4-2-3-1, depth looks something like this:

LB - Baines, Garbutt, Oviedo (later)

LCH - Distin, Alcaraz

RCH - Jagielka, Stones

RB - Coleman, Hibbert

DM - Barry, Besic

DM - McCarthy, Gibson

LM - Pienaar, McGeady, Oviedo (later)

AM - Barkley, Osman

RM - Mirallas, McGeady

S - Kone, Naismith

If RM isn't a brilliant manager, he's close enough: creative, daring, confidence-inspiring. Back line and defensive mid a sure strength. (Yes?). Pace and cleverness on wings. Barkley maybe breaks out this season? Why not Mirallas and McGeady, maybe?

Two more strikers, maybe another winger? Absent 3 semi-dependable goal scorers or one who's brilliant, yes, real problem. Buy toward solving that problem, avoid multiple injuries, and Everton look top 5 and legitimate Europa League threat.

Repeat: willing to be educated where my speculation is naive.

In a 4-2-3-1, depth looks something like this:

LB - Baines, Garbutt, Oviedo (later) <= Need more cover and a long-term replacement for Baines

LCH - Distin, Alcaraz <= Definitely need more cover here.

RCH - Jagielka, Stones <= Am concerned about how much longer Jagielka will deserve a first-team place.

RB - Coleman, Hibbert <= Weak here too. Hibbert is not an adequate backup.

DM - Barry, Besic <= Excellent options.

DM - McCarthy, Gibson <= Would prefer that we sell Gibson and bring in someone else.

LM - Pienaar, McGeady, Oviedo (later) <= How much longer can Pienaar continue? Need a young speedy winger.

AM - Barkley, Osman <= We have to be ruthless and not sentimental: Osman should no longer be on the first team.

RM - Mirallas, McGeady <= As above, need more backup here.

S - Kone, Naismith <= Add Lukaku (believe we'll sign) and Traore on loan. Need at least one more exciting striker.

By my reckoning, that means we need to bring in about eight more players while getting rid of at least one. They don't need to be big names, but they do need to fit in with our new strategy. If we could manage this, I'd be in seventh heaven.

Incidentally, we've been getting rid of deadwood, which is just as important as bringing in new blood. Who else should we be moving off the roster?

• 4 weeks later...