IGNORED

CL via Top 4 or Europa

RuffRob

I don't care which as long as we get cl footy. I would prefer a trophy win like and to be fair @ Mirallas you can still play badly and win in a cup game you also (as Mike pointed out) only have to beat what you get drawn against. Other teams do a lot of the work for you in cup competitions so it's the easier of the two in my opinion. Look at Arsenal last year in th FA Cup, the other 3 in the senis were almost walk overs for a team like Arsenal because everyone had already knocked each other out then a couple of upsets in the quarters and a couple of "lesser" teams getting drawn against each other and suddenly you have a real chance.

You can get lucky in the cup with your draws, in the league you have to do it against everyone twice.

• 3 months later...

I'm still sticking to my initial post above, Europa win is the only goal (other than not being relegated) this year. Anything else via a 4,5,6 place finish qualifying for CL or Europa is icing on the cake.

Agreed MC, we are playing our best football in Europe, maybe the team feels the same as us and has put their best efforts into that. It is noticeable.

Edited by markjazzbassist

I'm still sticking to my initial post above, Europa win is the only goal (other than relegation) this year. .

Need to rethink the wording there I think Mark; you're saying that if we don't win the Europa then we need to aim for relegation :huh:. "Avoiding" may be a useful word to add.

I'd take winning the Europa League and finishing 17th over finishing 2nd in the league without a doubt.

too right - however it wouldn't fill me with much confidence for the next season knowing that we are close to relegation.

10-12th place and Europa cup win would be nice - would prefer that over 2nd place just for the cup win.

too right - however it wouldn't fill me with much confidence for the next season knowing that we are close to relegation.

10-12th place and Europa cup win would be nice - would prefer that over 2nd place just for the cup win.

10-12th? Nope definitely not settling for that shit anymore. It's got to be at least a top 8 finish. European champions don't finish that low in the league. So if we're to win it we'll be finishing in the top 8

Would like top 7 and Europa. I'd take winning the Europa and finishing maybe 8th at the lowest.

However, the earlier we go out of the Europa, the more I expect us to push the top 4 to the last game.

I don't buy into this no chance in the Europa and no chance of a top 6 finish.

My gut tells me 7th place and losing out in the semis of Europa.

The one encouraging thing about the league this year is the inconsistent play of other teams.

That's very true. Every week the league twists and turns. Results are unpredictable. It is going to be a very tight league this year.

That's very true. Every week the league twists and turns. Results are unpredictable. It is going to be a very tight league this year.

exactly. plus west ham is 4-5 right now, we all know that won't stay. Soton either, they are just started to play the big boys with monday nights match, so i can see them dropping as well.

exactly. plus west ham is 4-5 right now, we all know that won't stay. Soton either, they are just started to play the big boys with monday nights match, so i can see them dropping as well.

West Ham will drop for sure.

Soton will drop...They've played 4 of the top 7 sides so far and lost all 4.

Saying all that...we really need to find our gears. We've played all 6 of our regular top 7 contenders and only managed 2 draws and 4 defeats.

I'm not ready to concede top 4 since it isn't Christmas yet but boy, if our form continues this way through December, we'll be out of it :(

To equal our points total of last season we need another fifty-four points. That's just over 2.3 points per game so, for example, win seventeen, draw three, lose three. Not going to happen.

That said, if United continue their streak of form and the top three pull away (or even if just the top two go well clear) then there's every chance that fourth can be got with relatively few points, similar to how we got it in 04/05 with sixty-one. That total would "just" need a 1.86 points a game average, or W13, D4 L6 for example.

Either way we need to start a run of form now and hope that everyone else keeps tripping over each other.

Personally think it's out of reach and we'll do well to get seventh.

To equal our points total of last season we need another fifty-four points. That's just over 2.3 points per game so, for example, win seventeen, draw three, lose three. Not going to happen.

That said, if United continue their streak of form and the top three pull away (or even if just the top two go well clear) then there's every chance that fourth can be got with relatively few points, similar to how we got it in 04/05 with sixty-one. That total would "just" need a 1.86 points a game average, or W13, D4 L6 for example.

Either way we need to start a run of form now and hope that everyone else keeps tripping over each other.

Personally think it's out of reach and we'll do well to get seventh.

Scary when you look at it like that.

But, discount West Ham...they'll shit out. And tick off Soton...they're not ready. So then it's just a case of keeping an eye on Arsenal, Spurs and Shite. And Utd.

I think 4th- 6th will be a lower tally of points this season. So many losses totting up for most teams.

But we do need to find ourselves pretty quickly. We need to find our swag. I thought we were getting there before the last 3 games...then we just went flat again. Crazy season.

I honestly don't see how people were seeing us getting anything back. Gramted we went on a little run where we never lost for a while but we were still poor during it. We've not gone on to win a few games and looked good in doing it. Burnley and Villa aside most other have been below standard or average performances where we have either got lucky or the opposition has been dreadful.

I've not seen us play anywhere near to our potential all season. First we wasn't fit then it was the poor pre season after that we were unlucky with injuries. I'm fed up making excuses for us. We've just been in general piss poor this season.

That's the harsh truth of it.

The OP's question was "what would YOU rather see happen"... but do you think Martinez and the squad are starting to think the same thing?

That they're resigned to a middling place in the PL, and have decided to put their energies into trying to win Europa?

Maybe he'll tell the kids to just go out and relax and have fun against QPR and we'll thrash it 5-0.

The mind games.