IGNORED

Defensive Frailties

foobiezw

Surprised at the digs at Distin to be honest. Yes he has made some howlers in his time here, but last season he was our best CB and was very good alongside Stones.

Jags is the achilles heel at the moment and has to be dropped.

I only mentioned Distin because of his performance against Chelsea. He certainly wasn't alone though. Although I don't think he has been at his best yet this season. Last season he was fantastic.

I only mentioned Distin because of his performance against Chelsea. He certainly wasn't alone though. Although I don't think he has been at his best yet this season. Last season he was fantastic.

This is the thing about us this season; we have such a long list of players you can have a go at for fucking up.

Edited by Romey 1878

He won't though.

A ) He's captain.

B ) Martinez plays players through bad form, as he believes dropping them after poor run of form damages their confidence in the long run.

At Wigan he did give other players a chance to prove themselves in cup games etc and if they were better they got into the team. I would really like to see Distin and Stones start together tonight to prove themselves as a good partnership again and if it worked we might see them start at the weekend.

Its a concern of mine and leaves me open to attacks from those who questioned Martinez's apparent defensive weaknesses at Wigan which I dismissed as a matter of "quality and injuries".

He has no real excuses as far as i'm concerned. If its the players faults then he has to be accountable for sorting out whatever needs to be sorted.

Was pointing fingers at you mate, there seems to have been a lot of people since the beginning of the season.

Its a concern of mine and leaves me open to attacks from those who questioned Martinez's apparent defensive weaknesses at Wigan which I dismissed as a matter of "quality and injuries".

He has no real excuses as far as i'm concerned. If its the players faults then he has to be accountable for sorting out whatever needs to be sorted.

I was thinking this after the Chelsea match. I thought after last season that the defensive record Martinez had at Wigan was negligible because of their injury record and quality at the time as well.

But our CB pairing needs to be sorted, so until there's a change there and no progress thereafter, I'll still keep my faith.

This is the thing about us this season; we have such a long list of players you can have a go at for fucking up.

This. I've never yelled at so many different players in the same game. After every goal we concede I think to myself "of course that was going to happen."

It's appalling.

In times like this it's best to shut shop. Close the door. I don't think Martinez knows how to do it. We're crap at the moment and this is the first indication of what type of manager we have. Excellent going forward, inept defensively.

People can say we were tight at the back last year but for me Moyes tactics still hadn't fully rubbed of the defence.

We're pushing 3 players right up the field rather than the classic Moyes of one!

Edited by MiguelCotto

In times like this it's best to shut shop. Close the door. I don't think Martinez knows how to do it. We're crap at the moment and this is the first indication of what type of manager we have. Excellent going forward, inept defensively.

People can say we were tight at the back last year but for me Moyes tactics still hadn't fully rubbed of the defence.

We're pushing 3 players right up the field rather than the classic Moyes of one!

Have to say, i've thought the same. It's frightening.

I think we have too many players that just aren't reliable enough creeping into the starting 11. McGeady, Osman, Atsu, Jags, Stones (at RB) and Distin/Howard so far this season. Lukaku falls into this category as well but with him you can afford it a little more. Dealofeu worked well last season because he was used as an impact player, just like McGeady and Atsu should be used but with Pienaar out they are getting more game time than they should. The same issues are creeping in at RB with Seamus out and CB with Jags fucking everything up.

If you played Howard, Coleman, Stones, Distin, Baines, Barry, McCarthy, Pienaar, Mirallas, Barkley/Naismith, Lukaku every game I don't think we would be having the issues we are having now. I'm not saying the above players are always perfect but on the whole they aren't the types to make the catastrophic errors and the turnovers that lead to these errors. Sure they have a bad game and if so they can be subbed out but on the whole they are far more reliable over the 90 minutes.

The closer we get to that side above, the sooner we will start putting things right and moving forward we have to start looking at these more dependable buys (like Etoo) rather than the completely hit or miss of McGeady if we are going to expect them to play the majority of the season.

I think we have too many players that just aren't reliable enough creeping into the starting 11. McGeady, Osman, Atsu, Jags, Stones (at RB) and Distin/Howard so far this season. Lukaku falls into this category as well but with him you can afford it a little more. Dealofeu worked well last season because he was used as an impact player, just like McGeady and Atsu should be used but with Pienaar out they are getting more game time than they should. The same issues are creeping in at RB with Seamus out and CB with Jags fucking everything up.

If you played Howard, Coleman, Stones, Distin, Baines, Barry, McCarthy, Pienaar, Mirallas, Barkley/Naismith, Lukaku every game I don't think we would be having the issues we are having now. I'm not saying the above players are always perfect but on the whole they aren't the types to make the catastrophic errors and the turnovers that lead to these errors. Sure they have a bad game and if so they can be subbed out but on the whole they are far more reliable over the 90 minutes.

The closer we get to that side above, the sooner we will start putting things right and moving forward we have to start looking at these more dependable buys (like Etoo) rather than the completely hit or miss of McGeady if we are going to expect them to play the majority of the season.

Nailed it.... Especially the bold!

Pienaar is a big miss right now. Same with ross. Both track back and are creative and move the ball well. McGeady doesn't do either well. Naisy is a scorer but he isn't the best passer but he does track back.

Need another 2 centre halves and time to get browning or Alcaraz time with stones. Jags can hand over the cap band to Baines or Barry.

I'm not really getting the Pienaar wankfest tbh. He wasn't great before being missing through injury.

That's not to say he won't make a difference once he's back but people are going a bit overboard on the influence he had before getting injured.

His movement is sorely missed, I hadn't really appreciated it until now. Thats what we are missing in the final third. Rom can occupy defends, Naismith and Kev can make clever runs but we have noone to exploit the space they make. Pienaar just causes trouble in that kind of space which displaces the opposition defence same as Barkley.

His movement is sorely missed, I hadn't really appreciated it until now. Thats what we are missing in the final third. Rom can occupy defends, Naismith and Kev can make clever runs but we have noone to exploit the space they make. Pienaar just causes trouble in that kind of space which displaces the opposition defence same as Barkley.

I honestly feel it's Barkley that we're missing the most tbh. As soon as he'd get the ball in the centre of the park he'd have two players on him, freeing up room for our wide players to receive the ball in space and then we could work the ball to the front men quicker. Now we're having to build up slower and it's making things harder for us.

Don't get me wrong, I want Pienaar back, I think he's a very clever player but he's not that big of a miss. Especially when he's goosed as quick as Osman is.

Edit - basically, they do similar things in freeing up space, so ideally we get them both back and sharpish!

Edited by Romey 1878

Guest blueboy122

I honestly feel it's Barkley that we're missing the most tbh. As soon as he'd get the ball in the centre of the park he'd have two players on him, freeing up room for our wide players to receive the ball in space and then we could work the ball to the front men quicker. Now we're having to build up slower and it's making things harder for us.

Don't get me wrong, I want Pienaar back, I think he's a very clever player but he's not that big of a miss. Especially when he's goosed as quick as Osman is.

Edit - basically, they do similar things in freeing up space, so ideally we get them both back and sharpish!

Have to agree although I would say that when Barkley does lose the ball in the midfield area our defence at the minute would go to pieces.

I'm not really getting the Pienaar wankfest tbh. He wasn't great before being missing through injury.

That's not to say he won't make a difference once he's back but people are going a bit overboard on the influence he had before getting injured.

It's not because Pienaar is an amazing player and the peak of his form or anything like that but he is dependable. Frustrating that he can fuck up opportunities but he will keep his shape and he generally doesn't get caught out too often in dangerous positions whereas the replacements (bar Mirallas) do. It's early days for Atsu and he did alright yesterday so he might be different in time.