IGNORED

Defensive Frailties

foobiezw

We should have taken Lescott and Caulker in my opinion. Right now I'd have either of them to in there with Stones. Right now I'm almost hoping Jags picks up a little knock so Stones can get a chance. He might make the same mistakes, but he can improve, the other two are clearly on the decline.

Our defensive set-up (Barry & McCarthy included) has cost us 5 points against two top sides, who we took 6 points off at home last season, after we had same start as last season - snatching a 2-2 draw, away from home, from the jaws of victory by conceding a late goal (Norwich & Leicester away).

Who will we get these missing 5 points from at home this season, where we we didn't pick up a maximum at home last season. 3 home draws - West Brom, Spurs, Liverpool, 3 home defeats - Sunderland, Crystal Palace, Man City. Then we have to maintain, or better, our away form to have the same points tally as last season.

Jagielka should be dropped. Barry & McCarthy were caught out of position so often when Chelsea broke they simply don't have the pace (well Barry doesn't) to recover if they're caught out. Barry's main strength is his positional awareness (saving tackle on Eto'o, last season?) - if he's even out of position he's fucked, McCarthy has more chance of recovery but not when he's caught so far out of position. I'm not saying Barry & McCarthy were always at fault for being caught out as perhaps they were trying to cover others' lapses but Chelsea exploited this to the maximum. They knew Jagielka and Distin could be picked off and so Barry and McCarthy were drawn out, which they either fell in or were forced in to, and Chelsea picked us off.

It's not a crisis by any means as it will get sorted but we need to sort it soon and start by dropping Jagielka, putting Stones in there, and getting Barry & McCarthy back to doing what they were bought to do.

Edit: they probably don't have the lace, either, but pace makes more sense!

Edited by Cake

Going forward we look like a threat to any side but defensively we are shocking we look as frail as I can remember

Both Jags and Distin have been piss poor moreso Jags who needs to dropped his positional awareness and all round game looks shot, also the barrier of Barry and Mccarthy need to take some blame as said going forward great but shielding the back four they've both been poor for the most part.

We need to bring in a defender that will either be good enough to start or force the issue very quickly along with Stones and I do think we missed a bargain in Caulker sadly.

If Gibson is fit and ready and can replicate the form before his injury I'd have him in the side in a heartbeat and drop Jags for Stones or bring someone in who can do the job from the off

Edited by EFC-Paul

I think the Matic goal summed up how poor we are at the moment with the centre backs. Half hearted attempts to stick half a leg out to block the ball. For me Jags and The Milkman aren't up to it. Stones need to play and id go for Richards, he is a beast

I think the Matic goal summed up how poor we are at the moment with the centre backs. Half hearted attempts to stick half a leg out to block the ball. For me Jags and The Milkman aren't up to it. Stones need to play and id go for Richards, he is a beast

I still dont agree with the criticism of Distin, he was knackered after trying to make up Jags mistakes.

I've spotted some issues that I want addressing.

• McCarthy, brilliant when the ball is there to be won in the middle of the park. For some reason if a player closes in on the penalty area with the ball at his feet McCarthy stands off - literally 5 yards. This isn't the first time, Cabaye last season and a couple of times this season.
  • Lukaku, just a liability with his back to his man. He panics, its like pin ball when the ball goes to him. He tries to do a one touch move when the reality is he just hasn't got the feet for it. I said it all along, forward play is more than just finding the net, he needs to protect the ball. He has a lot of worlk to do, a lot.
  • Jags & Distin. Distin actually looks like his supreme athleticism is going... its sad but true. Jags just is away with the fairies. They need a rocket the lot of them - and Baines. Get their heads on the game.
  • Martinez. I love the bloke but I am seeing things that concern me. All this nicey nicey front is getting a little too sickly. He's giving Lukaku undue praise (he would pay £100m if he had it?). He needs to get a bit nasty with them. He has failed them in terms of getting them fit. Forget the physio "softly softly" approach, he needs to be more demanding from a fitness perspective and concentration.

Some of our play has been brilliant. We aren't far away from being very good.

Yes we shipped 6 at the weekend but we were either going to live or die by the gun once that had happened 3 mins in. Of course the CB's & midfielders were going to get exposed because we were flying forwards and backwards all the time which played into Chelsea's strengths. From that point onwards, our defensive structure was always going to go to pot because we were trying to get back in the game and on the whole, we did a bloody good job (of getting back into the game)!

The faults lie in the first goals though and they are shockers. We step off, the midfield is left exposed (its as if Barry & McCarthy were expecting the other to be covering) and then Jags plays the stupidist offside trap alive. He can see Baines in front of him, he doesnt even time his own step out right and then Howard lets it go between his legs.

Second goal has a similar miscommunication as both Barry and McCarthy are drawn to the ball, Distin covers the initial run of Ramirez and in fairness looks to show Barry to come across who does start to cover but not quick enough. I actually think the back line do well to push out and Baines times it correctly and it was a poor decision to allow the goal. Howard could have done better again maybe as the ball was very close to him.

Third goal, McCarthy is done for pace, nothing clever about it and apart from use the angle better there isnt much he can do about it. Coleman is unlucky. I like the fact Howard stepped up to Costa but the headbutt on Azpilicueta (?) was stupid especially as its right in front of the ref.

Fourth goal, Barry & McCarthy are both sucked in again and caught a little ball watching and then Distin doesnt close down Matic well enough.

Fifth goal is the one Lukaku's poor touch let him down. We should have still had it covered but McCarthy switched off and from that angle Howard shouldnt have been beaten IMO.

Sixth goal is a shocker and the less said the better.

Throughout the game Jags was making howlers and IMO Distin was very lucky to get away with a couple of his own attempts to play offside. If you want to press high up the pitch you have to use the offside trap well but some of the attempts on Saturday were shockers.

What I will say is that the 2nd goal shouldnt have been allowed and the 3rd goal was a bit of a case of wrong man, wrong time (in terms of it being McCarthy vs Hazard and Colemans touch) but the other 4 were easily preventable with a bit more cohesion and better decision making.

Think he did well when he came on, hopefully build his confidence up a bit

Decent performance from Baines as well

Thought Jags was solid when called upon but Baines was quite wasteful for me and looked abit lethargic

All in all not a bad game by any of our lads Stones did well bar the odd daft ball

I thought Baines was one of the better players on the pitch. Looked very tidy and used the ball very well.

Was the architect of most of our attacking play too.

When he needed to he defended well but got caught out a few tines too far up the pitch, but that's going to happen with an attacking dull back.

Jags did well when he came on but like Brett said he does better when up against it.

Stones was played out of position but dis ok.

I thought Baines was one of the better players on the pitch. Looked very tidy and used the ball very well.

Was the architect of most of our attacking play too.

When he needed to he defended well but got caught out a few tines too far up the pitch, but that's going to happen with an attacking dull back.

Jags did well when he came on but like Brett said he does better when up against it.

Stones was played out of position but dis ok.

That's pretty much how I saw it, a little bemused as to how anyone can say he looked lethargic to be honest. But people will always view football in a different way I suppose

Watching Jags tonight against Switzerland proves everything to me. Great when playing back against the wall. It's when he has no pressure on him he's shit. Typical moyes player.

Absolutely right. Played well tonite and made the difference at the back when he came on. Looked more like his old self.

Stones played RB against Leicester. It's already been discussed that he's not very good at RB. But excellent at CB.

Jagielka on the other hand has been crap since the turn of the year. I suggest you watch the Chelsea game back. Keeping your eye on Evertons number 6

Stones played RB against Leicester. It's already been discussed that he's not very good at RB. But excellent at CB.

Jagielka on the other hand has been crap since the turn of the year. I suggest you watch the Chelsea game back. Keeping your eye on Evertons number 6

Stones played a large majority of the leicester games as a third centre half. He was shocking, + he had shockers in pre season also. I'm all for him playing and learning as he goes along but I can see on this forum quite clearly that if he makes costly mistakes, he will not have the time to change these around.