IGNORED

Ryder Cup

hardest game in the world IMO. That's why people get hooked - 4 games in 1. Driving, iron play, Short game and putting..... need 3 out of 4 to be working to be competitive - all 4 to be any good at the level you play.

I had two out of four; irons and short game, could never hit a wood to save my life and had permanent yips on the green. The in between stuff I was fine.

I played for a while and was like mike, iron game and short game were great. Putting was ok and driving was awful. I used to not bring any woods, I would just hit a 2 or 3 iron from the tee. The guys would laugh but when I hit it a solid 200 and straight as an arrow in the fairway they'd shut up. My approach was great, 7-9 irons were my best friends, good with the wedges too. But then I'd lose it on the putting green.

I've possibly got the heaviest hands going - pros and cons, loads of power and ability to hit it a long way, I can stop a 4 iron on a green given the height I hit it - but when it comes to putting and short game I have no feel. The number of times I 3 putt is a joke.

Only now after hitting a golf ball for 30 years have I started to understand the mechanics of the golf swing. I was self taught until I had a lesson which messed me up.

With my 2 lads - I am going to give them something that wasn't there 30 years ago which is "Affordable and appropriate Junior tuition".

Without judging too much - look at the names of the golfers around my age, Luke Donald, Paul Casey, Justin Rose, Sergio Garcia, they all come from pretty privileged backgrounds. The reason? pound for pound the game cost a fortune to learn and play "properly" as a child in the 80's. Ben Hogan said any golfer with average co-ordination can break 80.... that's providing they learned the fundamentals and applied them. The problem was that the ridiculous cost of lessons (all 1-2-1 back then) meant only those with the money, time, facilities and equipment to have consistent lessons, money for the range, money to play golf could improve.

You did get the odd lad who comes from a working class background who displays ridiculous natural talent and gets free county tuition - but the majority of these lads are hitting 1 club on a football field with 3 balls in their pocket, using wrong techniques and bedding in bad habits that will stop them enjoying and becoming good at the game.

Nowadays like many sports, golf is more accessible with most clubs offering cheap tuition to groups of kids - it needs to happen.

Yep same with tennis Haf, rich people sports. Here in the states you can only play them (for the most part) at expensive membership only "country clubs".

its disgusting - it only goes to further fuel their "elitist" opinion that people of that background excel at those sorts of sports.

Look at affordable sports - football, athletics, boxing, MMA, cycling (to a degree), the majority of successful sports people in these fields are from "normal" (hate the word working class) upbringings. Its just that these sports do not require thousands of pounds per year in funding from mummy and daddy - and they have a huge competition pool.

Its been a bug bear of mine for a good while. I went to a comprehensive school - pretty tough one too at the time (it had lads from the woodchurch estate merging with rock ferry, new ferry and south Wirral in the same year), I was always a pretty good all rounder but small (late developer). Our school basically sent you on a cross country run or you played footy. We had the oval sports centre behind us (Chariots of fire filmed there) and we rarely used that.

The one sport I always thought I should be very good at will have been rugby - at 11 to 14 we played it once a month and all the biggest kids were picked... despite me being able to time tackles brilliantly and being lightning quick. Austin Healy was a year older than me and went to St Anselms (Grammar school) with a few of my mates - he wasn't big but was utilised for his attributes - coached properly and made it to be full international - lion. I'm not saying I would have been anything other than a good level player but I had a run about with my mate who played for New Brighton and he thinks it was a waste that I never had a go at the game.

There must be millions of kids who slip through the net like this all the time. Its all down to money and opportunity. Sport for all - used to be on the wall of the swimming baths.... what a load of nonsense.

Haf, going back to golf. You should have seen it in the 1940's, as kids, if we so much as looked into a golf club we risked being arrested. Mind you, we were scallies and probably deserved to be. :D

Never saw a set of rugby posts until we moved to Leeds in 1951. Didn't know what they were in the local park. Nothing else existed other than football and cricket.

Edited by johnh

Haf, going back to golf. You should have seen it in the 1940's, as kids, if we so much as looked into a golf club we risked being arrested. Mind you, we were scallies and probably deserved to be. :D

Never saw a set of rugby posts until we moved to Leeds in 1951. Didn't know what they were in the local park. Nothing else existed other than football and cricket.

funny you should say that John... we had a local legend at our golf club. A man who played off single figures right into his 80's - has his name scattered all over the winners boards and played against Nick Faldo in English amateur champs in the 70's.

He never went pro because there was no money in the game - he had to stay and work for the family business. I played golf with one of his good friends who was a comparable player (not as good) and oh my goodness it was a lesson. This bloke was 70 odd years old, had knee replacements yet could hit a driver 260 yards and could even use it off the fairway.

He landed in a fair way bunker - and hit it backwards towards the tee instead of the green. I asked him why he did that? - his answer was "I'm too close to the lip and a wedge will not get me there and runs the risk of not getting out" - he hit it backwards, took a full iron for his next shot and put it 2 ft away for a tap in par..... lesson learned.

These fellas were self taught, just gifted.

Yep same with tennis Haf, rich people sports. Here in the states you can only play them (for the most part) at expensive membership only "country clubs".

Little bit different here. During the Clijsters - Henin years everyone in Belgium wanted to play tennis, to accomodate this a lot of new clubs were founded. Now that Belgium is back to only producing irrelevant tennisplayers the clubs are still there, but a lot of amateurs have quit the sport.

As a result, it's now relatively cheap to get a membership. I pay 350 EUR to play for a whole year (indoor and outdoor courts).

Don't really understand why in the US you would have such high membership fees in some clubs. It doesn't matter how rich the guy on the side of the net is, it only matters if he can hit the ball and give you a good match. It's not like if membership fees were only $500 instead of $10.000 the clubs would be overrun with social parasites.

I can understand why golf is quite expensive though. You need a big area of land, extensive landscaping, immaculate greens, there can't be too many people playing at once, ...

Little bit different here. During the Clijsters - Henin years everyone in Belgium wanted to play tennis, to accomodate this a lot of new clubs were founded. Now that Belgium is back to only producing irrelevant tennisplayers the clubs are still there, but a lot of amateurs have quit the sport.

As a result, it's now relatively cheap to get a membership. I pay 350 EUR to play for a whole year (indoor and outdoor courts).

Don't really understand why in the US you would have such high membership fees in some clubs. It doesn't matter how rich the guy on the side of the net is, it only matters if he can hit the ball and give you a good match. It's not like if membership fees were only $500 instead of $10.000 the clubs would be overrun with social parasites.

I can understand why golf is quite expensive though. You need a big area of land, extensive landscaping, immaculate greens, there can't be too many people playing at once, ...

because tennis courts are only located at the clubs. public parks will include baseball fields and basketball fields but rarely do they put up tennis courts. so it's just the country clubs which are expensive and "high society" so no middle class family is paying for their kid to play that.

just like Haf said, it's baseball, basketball, football, soccer, track and field for the working class. the more expensive sports are hockey (ice time, equipment), tennis, swimming (pool memberships), golf, etc.

because tennis courts are only located at the clubs. public parks will include baseball fields and basketball fields but rarely do they put up tennis courts. so it's just the country clubs which are expensive and "high society" so no middle class family is paying for their kid to play that.

just like Haf said, it's baseball, basketball, football, soccer, track and field for the working class. the more expensive sports are hockey (ice time, equipment), tennis, swimming (pool memberships), golf, etc.

Surprised at the swimming mention, very easy and cheap to get into over here; even a lot of small towns have publicly owned pools which you can just rock up to and have a swim for a few quid. They also have swim clubs which you can join if you want to take it a bit more seriously and cheap lessons for kids (a lot of primary schools give swimming lessons as part of the curriculum).

This is our local one...

http://www.middevonleisure.co.uk/exe-valley-leisure-centre/

Surprised at the swimming mention, very easy and cheap to get into over here; even a lot of small towns have publicly owned pools which you can just rock up to and have a swim for a few quid. They also have swim clubs which you can join if you want to take it a bit more seriously and cheap lessons for kids.

This is our local one...

http://www.middevonleisure.co.uk/exe-valley-leisure-centre/

the swimming is the same as hockey. yes rink memberships and pool memberships are cheap, but because the pools are public owned and operated the swim teams practice at early morning or late evening. most working class families don't have the time to be driving kids to and from practices at those hours because they're either working or don't have a car or don't want to spend all the gas money. the public transit is dire here unless you're in the east coast NYC, boston, philly, etc region.

i love hockey, i wanted to play my whole childhood, my parents continually said no because the equipment was expensive and i'd out-grow it every year and they'd have to buy more, ice time was expensive, and lastly practice was at like 5am or 11pm at a rink 1 city over (our city didn't have a rink, that city's team had preference on practice times so our city got the worst times) and they didn't want me up at all hours of the night or morning doing it. i was devastated and to this day still wish my parents had the finance back then so i could play. i got to play in college in a recreational league with some borrowed equipment from a dorm mate and had a blast. now that i have a job i have bought some equipment and played in a couple leagues and enjoy it, but still would have loved to have played as a kid. i watched the games on TV, got all the magazines, i was an addict. i knew all the players stats and everything.

to circle back to your point mike, that's why the black swimmers for the USA winning Gold Medals was such a big deal, that vast majority of minorities aren't able to afford public pool memberships and the like so they don't know how to swim. Those swimmers were a symbol that anyone can swim and it's not limited to whites here in america.

• 1 year later...
21 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Love it too, sadly I think we'll lose this one. Not sure why we're playing all the "virgins" this morning, big gamble.

Believe in Blue! 

The US team is formidable though. Best ranked team ever I think. US dont travel well and I do think European team spirit is better. Also we are in a bit of form. Course looks amazing so I think it’ll be great few days. If it has half the excitement of Medinah I’ll be very happy. 

4 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Don't want to curse it but we're slam dunking this afternoon after a dodgy morning. May just be my imagination but I always thought we were stronger at fourballs than foursomes, not today it seems.

I think the wind and course type is coming into play.  A lot of these Americans play target golf.

A big miss by them was not sending koepka and finau out again. Both very good in wind. 

Shot Poults!

On another screen to the Fulham game I have this on. Tommy Fleetwood (proper Blue) and Francesco Molinari four points from four and three of them against Woods, fucking love it! 10-4  up now, well played Rose and Stenson, but it'll be 10-6 going into tomorrow because we'll lose the last two. Four and a half needed tomorrow, surely we can't have one of those final day turnarounds that both teams have achieved in the past?

Fleetwood and Molinari though? Smashed every game, nobody got close to them; SPOTY team of the year?

Right today is when the fun starts squeaky bum time coming up, the Yanks man for man on paper should do us today, but today is about passion and warriors something the Yanks haven't got much of in their ranks for some reason.

We are going to send the big time Charlie's home with a thorough thrashing come on Europe IN THE HOLE.

2 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Why is Reed so disliked?

Its more of a pantemine villian. He is generally quite an arrogant (confident) person and combined with giving it large in previous Ryder Cups the fans give him a fair bit of stick. 

I quite liked the shush at the end. He did it yesterday and for a few holes after the crowd were shushing him on every shot. He then shushed today after winning his match before applauding the crowd as if to appreciate their 'banter'.

17 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

they should just cancel the next few of these and send the europeans the trophies, i don't follow the sport but read on espn every year how shambolic the US is.  seems we put together a list of big names instead of the best players, mickelson and woods?  has  beens.  where are the young americans?  

We did the same with our wildcards but they outscored yours 9½ points (between them) to two for yours. Crowd were so different from the US ones as well, completely passionate but always fair. That doesn't happen in America, it's become nasty in recent times.

On 30/09/2018 at 08:02, Palfy said:

Right today is when the fun starts squeaky bum time coming up, the Yanks man for man on paper should do us today, but today is about passion and warriors something the Yanks haven't got much of in their ranks for some reason.

We are going to send the big time Charlie's home with a thorough thrashing come on Europe IN THE HOLE.

I predicted a European win.  A lad I know is a caddy on the tour - said it was gonna pan out like we've seen up to now. That course is a nightmare if you can't hit fairways and too many of those players are bombers who hit it into crowds over in the U.S week after week and still make birdie.  That's what it will be like in 2 years.   100 yard wide fairways near 8000 yard course....  brother got the score right and molinari top points earner. Earned some £££