IGNORED

Krasnodar (h)

markjazzbassist

Not a bad performance at all. Garbutt and Kone really stood out but besides McAleny, all the other youngsters were alright.

Am I the only one who thought Ledson looked like a seasoned player.

He wanted the ball all night. Didn't overdo anything. Looked tidy and confident.

I really think he is one who is going to make it

Thought Ledson looked very tidy and always making himself available. McAlleny took the wrong option almost every time in attacking positions. Browning strikes me as an old fashioned RB, sort of Tony Hibbert with muscle. I'm guessing he'll move to the centre. Dowell has a neat first touch and did well several times to find feet with a first time pass in tight areas. Garbutt obviously the pick of the bunch right now though, wouldn't mind seeing him in a few league games, best delivery from corners we've seen all year.

The goal looked worse than it was for me. If Robles hadn't attempted the fairy foot save he wouldn't receive half the stick, he did well not to over commit and foul the striker, who then did really well to shape for the far corner which Robles and Pienaar both bought.

Pienaar? He may not be completely done, but he's even less useful than Osman now. I can see him being useful to come on for 15 minutes against a team that has parked the bus, nothing else.

Edited by chicagoblue

Thought Ledson looked very tidy and always making himself available. McAlleny took the wrong option almost every time in attacking positions. Browning strikes me as an old fashioned RB, sort of Tony Hibbert with muscle. I'm guessing he'll move to the centre. Dowell has a neat first touch and did well several times to find feet with a first time pass in tight areas. Garbutt obviously the pick of the bunch right now though, wouldn't mind seeing him in a few league games, best delivery from corners we've seen all year.

The goal looked worse than it was for me. If Robles hadn't attempted the fairy foot save he wouldn't receive half the stick, he did well not to over commit and foul the striker, who then did really well to shape for the far corner which Robles and Pienaar both bought.

Pienaar? He may not be completely done, but he's even less useful than Osman now. I can see him being useful to come on for 15 minutes against a team that has parked the bus, nothing else.

Hope you understood that I meant to say that all the youngsters besides McAlleny (who was poor) were alright by my book :).

I disagree, think Robles gave up that near post shot, which again you should never do. Then there was that other opportunity where he was stuck in no man's land and was chasing the ball around, very lucky not to concede there.

This is the exact reason I'm shutting up for the night.

One game no goalsbut a half decent performance and he's already ten times the player Lukaku is.

Seriously lost the will to live with it.

Night all.

Ah but he has one bad game for us against Stevenage and had 14 months of shit.... Yeah....makes sense.

This is the thing that gets me about fans. Criticism is never always tangible. It's ok to slag the £6m 30 year old with the funny head.

Ohhh but the 21 year old who is a finisher but can't do naff all else who cost £28m and had a hyped name before he'd even kicked a ball in the premier can't be judged for his glaring weaknesses?

That's why naismith needed 6 months of good performances to change some, they invested so much criticism - much of it unfair that they refused to admit the good performances.

are you sure you were watching the same player ?

I thought he looked the best of the bunch his passing was on the whole v good.

Yup. Tried to be too clever more than once, and seemed to lack creativity. The key point is, though, that he had little impact on the game and appeared at times to be wondering what to do. Compare that with Garbutt, for example, who in many respects ran the game and was full of ideas. Having said all that, though, Ledson is young and will improve. A less than flattering comment after just one game does not mean I'm writing him off.

Don't forget that Lukaku is younger than McAleny as well. Only 21 so technically he should have been out there with the other youngsters tonight but he wasn't because he's streets ahead of them in terms of development and vital for our 1st team. Excites me that he's only 21 and I (we) tend to forget that I feel when he doesn't perform.

Don't forget that Lukaku is younger than McAleny as well. Only 21 so technically he should have been out there with the other youngsters tonight but he wasn't because he's streets ahead of them in terms of development and vital for our 1st team. Excites me that he's only 21 and I (we) tend to forget that I feel when he doesn't perform.

Spot on this.... It really is exciting how advanced Lukaku, Stones and Barkley are for their age!

What this game really pointed out is our lack of depth in midfield. When McCarthy is out, there's just no one to take his place - and neither is anyone coming through the ranks in that kind of role.

Yes and honestly with the way Baines is playing this year at some point id like to see Baines in cm with besic or McCarthy and Garbutt at lb.

fair enough I was going to say garbutt has about 2 years more experience on him I was pleased with all the youngsters except Connor mc just don't think he can cut it at top level.

He was out of position once Atsu went off so it's a bit harsh to judge imo; have to say I felt for Atsu, promising start and then off so early. Just not looking like it's meant to be for him.

Thought it was a decent enough performance especially in the second half when we moved Oviedo out wide and brought Pienaar centrally. We did alright on the whole and the difference between the two teams was the cohesion in attack. Moves broke down for us and we were too cautious breaking forward whereas they played some really good combinations and shifted it quickly and directly.

I feel a little sorry for Robles. I actually thought that he did really well all game. Good on the ball, he was quick off his line, closed angles but he just switched off for one second and gave them the softest goal going. He did the right thing standing him up and had forced him wide but fuck knows why he retreated back to his line. If he stands there, stops the angle and lets his defenders cover the he potentially stops the goal. What he ends up doing is naive and it seems to be a common theme with him.

Barry and Alcaraz did well at the back, they were left a little exposed when Oviedo was playing through the middle or when Pienaar couldnt be arsed tracking but they were a good combination.

Garbutt was excellent. Really hard working display with smatterings of quality. He has a great left peg, albeit he could have picked a better option here or there, but that will come with time. I get the feeling he would improve a bundle with a consistent run in the team.

Browning disappointed me. Like he did in the U21 game he looked dozy, his positional sense was all over the place and he didnt read the game. On the last 2 times I have seen him he has looked like a tank but that will only take him so far. He might be better at CB but based on the U21 game, Im not so sure. He might just be out of form and time is on his side.

Ledson was hot and cold. There were times that I thought he was excellent but then he just did some stupid things. He is only 17 so that may come with time but positionally he was good, he doesnt stop running in the McCarthy mould and he has the vision for a pass. He had a difficult job against a fluid Krasnodar attacking midfield but he didnt look out of his depth.

Pienaar was the biggest disappointment. He found space, he showed good feet at times and created his own space but he sucked all of the life out of our play and stifled any momentum. The quality is clearly still there but he needs to be more positive on the ball.

Oviedo was out of his depth through the middle but he was good out wide. Nothing exceptional but he did a good job.

Atsu hadnt shown anything before he was subbed.

Dowell was excellent and I suspect his performance will be a little underrated. The number of clever forward balls (he was one of the only ones), runs into space, vision to find players and quick feet to create half a yard. He took too long to get his shot away but in the U21s or U18s he has that time so that will improve. Thats twice I have seen him now and he has impressed me both times. He is in the Barkley mould but a little more subtle.

McAlaney had a frustrating game. Plenty of promise but ultimately lacked quality. There were moments where you thought that he could be a tidy player but then he would waste chance after chance in good possession (Pienaar-esque).

Kone was excellent all things considered. Strong, sharp and he worked really hard too. Could have done with better service but when you take the circumstances into account it was a very encouraging display and I'm made up for him.

Long actually looked fairly sharp when he came on but didnt really get into the game for the short time he was on.

I think its more an indication that mcaleny is behind in his development. Broken leg took a year and physically a bit too small.

Mcaleny was played out of position when atsu went off.

Garbutt had a great game, he took on defenders and got back and defended as well. His deliveries were good, so can't complain.

Kone has a nice touch, looked strong and is good on his feet. He played well also and I would like to see him in the first team more.

All the other youngsters didn't really do anything, I don't think Ledson had a great game, he needs to know when to pull away from a foul. That comes with age I know but he gave away needless fouls trying to get the ball back. I might be to critical of him but I don't think the rest of the squad could get into the first team. Browning has a lot to learn and I think loaning him out in January to a championship club would be the best option. :)

I thought the young lads overall were very good collectively and will have taken a lot away from that game. Garbutt is further down the line as he has had competitive game experience and a play off final for Cheltenham - you could see that. But his quality of ball strike was superb - it really was.

Guest rusty747

Saw enough last night to call it a glimpse of the future. We do need another keeper but otherwise we have the makings of a great team.

A N Other

Coleman Stones Browning. Garbutt

Macarthy Barkley Ledson

Naismith

Lukaku Kone

Subs. AN Other GK. BAINES JAGS GALLOWAY GIBSON OVIEDO LONG

Ah but he has one bad game for us against Stevenage and had 14 months of shit.... Yeah....makes sense.

This is the thing that gets me about fans. Criticism is never always tangible. It's ok to slag the £6m 30 year old with the funny head.

Ohhh but the 21 year old who is a finisher but can't do naff all else who cost £28m and had a hyped name before he'd even kicked a ball in the premier can't be judged for his glaring weaknesses?

That's why naismith needed 6 months of good performances to change some, they invested so much criticism - much of it unfair that they refused to admit the good performances.

I never once critisised him or judged him on that. I said I never fancied him from the start beforehe had kicked a ball . I never liked him at Wigan so where are you getting I'm slating him on the Stevanage performance?

Guest rusty747

I have to agree. Tim is either hero or villain every game and Robles has had enough chances and blown them all. So I think we need 2 'keepers. One to go straight into the starting eleven and a young, able understudy to put some pressure on. And we need them both in January.