IGNORED

Europa League Round of 32/Last Sixteen

As the 32 teams settle into their place in the draw I thought it would be fun to get the conversation started.

We have been knocked out of the competition previously by Villareal, Sporting and Fiorentina. Only villareal available for round of 32.

Personally i casually follow celtic and fiorentina so i would love to get them as well.

Ideally we would play and beat the following teams: Villareal (r32), Liverpool (r16), Sporting (qf), Celtic (semis), Fiorentina (final)

As the 32 teams settle into their place in the draw I thought it would be fun to get the conversation started.

We have been knocked out of the competition previously by Villareal, Sporting and Fiorentina. Only villareal available for round of 32.

Personally i casually follow celtic and fiorentina so i would love to get them as well.

Ideally we would play and beat the following teams: Villareal (r32), Liverpool (r16), Sporting (qf), Celtic (semis), Fiorentina (final)

Villarreal knocked us out of the Champions League, not UEFA (as Europa was then).

We can't draw them as you won't play a team from the same country as you until the last 16 (if it happens obviously). Really hoping for a decent draw. The away game will fall on the Thursday in half term so as a teacher, I'm really excited that I might actually be able to go away this year. Ajax, Andrelecht, Sevilla, PSV would all be great trips.

Can we draw the shite in the next round or can we not get teams from the same country at that stage???

Edited by Geth

We can't draw them as you won't play a team from the same country as you until the last 16 (if it happens obviously). Really hoping for a decent draw. The away game will fall on the Thursday in half term so as a teacher, I'm really excited that I might actually be able to go away this year. Ajax, Andrelecht, Sevilla, PSV would all be great trips.

We don't want Sevilla. If any team is going to knock us out it'll be them.

Much more open and interesting competition to be in than the Champios League; there you have maybe four possible winners.

Europa is wide open; any one of Fiorentina, Inter, Sevilla, Villarreal, Zenit, Sporting, Wolfsburg, Bilbao + us, Liverpool and (even) Spurs have a good chance; and there are decent outside bets beyond those eleven. Intruiging, far more so than the CL imo.

Possible opposition.

Europa League runners-up: Villarreal, Torino, Celtic, PSV Eindhoven, Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk, Sevilla, Young Boys, Aalborg, Guingamp, Trabzonspor
Unseeded Champions League teams: Anderlecht, Roma, Ajax

thanks mike. really fear Roma, Sevilla. Wouldn't like Torino or Villareal till later on, but the rest I'm confident with. Would really really love Celtic. Nice and easy travel, players wouldn't be out of whack for the prem and i'm pretty sure we'd win both matches.

Best case: Celtic, Dnipro, Young Boys, Aalborg, Guingamp

Fair enough: Villareal, PSV, Trabzonspor

Difficult: Ajax, Anderlecht, Torino

Disaster: Sevilla, Roma

I'd think the very best case, in terms of combo of relatively weak opponent and close travel would be Aalborg, Guingamp, Young Boys. Celtic, too? Are they weak squad? Dnipro looks a long trip.

Isn't Celtic the same country - or did the Scottish independence vote actually pass?

As you well know Steve for the purposes of football England, Scotland and Wales are separate countries......apart from the several Welsh teams that count as English and the English team that's Scottish. It's perfectly simple :rolleyes:.

As you well know Steve for the purposes of football England, Scotland and Wales are separate countries......apart from the several Welsh teams that count as English and the English team that's Scottish. It's perfectly simple :rolleyes:.

I wasn't 100 percent sure, because there's a certain greyness to it. As you say, Berwick (English team) plays in the Scottish league. Swansea (Welsh team) plays in the English league while Rhyl (Welsh team) plays in the Welsh league. What if Rangers, for example, chose to play in the English league? It gets a bit messy. Anyway, for now, what you're saying is that Everton could face Celtic.

I wasn't 100 percent sure, because there's a certain greyness to it. As you say, Berwick (English team) plays in the Scottish league. Swansea (Welsh team) plays in the English league while Rhyl (Welsh team) plays in the Welsh league. What if Rangers, for example, chose to play in the English league? It gets a bit messy. Anyway, for now, what you're saying is that Everton could face Celtic.

Thought you were being sarcastic, sorry. Not forgetting Cardiff (Welsh playing in England), Merthyr Town, Newport County, Wrexham and Colwyn Bay (also Welsh) playing further down the pyramid. Also Guernsey play in the English system.

Thinking about this more, it could get even more confusing if/when the Ulster teams play in the Irish league. The rule, in effect, has nothing to do with countries but with the leagues in which teams play.

Absolutely.

Thought you were being sarcastic, sorry. Not forgetting Cardiff (Welsh playing in England), Merthyr Town, Newport County, Wrexham and Colwyn Bay (also Welsh in England) playing further down the pyramid. Also Guernsey play in the English system.

Absolutely.

For example, I could see the Benelux countries forming their own league at some point. Guernsey could play in the French leagues. Maybe, over time, there will be a European Super League. At that point, UEFA are going to have to switch explicitly from national leagues to simply leagues.

Looking into it there are more examples in the UK and around Europe.

The New Saints are based in England but play in the Welsh league system, likewise Newcastle (Shropshire) and Bucknell. San Marino Calcio play in the Italian league, Monaco play in France, Andorra play in Spain, UE Bossost (Spanish) play in France, FC Busigen (German) play in Switzerland, AP Campionese (Italy) play in Switzerland and so do Liechtensteiner.

For example, I could see the Benelux countries forming their own league at some point. Guernsey could play in the French leagues. Maybe, over time, there will be a European Super League. At that point, UEFA are going to have to switch explicitly from national leagues to simply leagues.

That's been discussed several times. I hope it never happens.

So the draw is on soon? We can get one of these, Villarreal, Torino, Celtic, PSV Eindhoven, Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk, Sevilla, BSC Young Boys, Aalborg, Guingamp, Trabzonspor, Roma, Anderlecht or Ajax.

Id prefer Aalborg, would only take me a few hours by car and we should beat them. (famous last words)